A&H

Port Vale vs Accrington

Mooseybaby

Retired big bad baldy in all black!
Port Vale vs Accrington

Incident starts @ 1min, 10secs

Throw in into the penalty area, Accrington defender palms the ball onto the bar, Vale attacker follows up and puts the ball in the net from close range.....

Goal disallowed, Vale unhappy, penalty awarded, defender red carded, penalty saved.

Wasn't sure watching at first there was a whistle, but having watched and listened several times it sounds like the referee blew his whistle almost simultaneously as the ball was handled.

Really don't like the way referees in professional league dish out cards whilst surrounded by players.

The Referee Store
Port Vale vs Accrington

Incident starts @ 1min, 10secs

Throw in into the penalty area, Accrington defender palms the ball onto the bar, Vale attacker follows up and puts the ball in the net from close range.....

Goal disallowed, Vale unhappy, penalty awarded, defender red carded, penalty saved.

Wasn't sure watching at first there was a whistle, but having watched and listened several times it sounds like the referee blew his whistle almost simultaneously as the ball was handled.

Really don't like the way referees in professional league dish out cards whilst surrounded by players.
Crikey. Saw this in another group I am in and I genuinely thought it was from the archives 🤣🤣

Anyway, what a shame he was so quick to blow the whistle. I think teams would always have the goal than a man advantage, and we should be looking to play advantage here. Literally a half 2nd delay and he gets the plaudits. That's the fine margins here.

Is there a case that the red could be appealed and overturned? I imagine a good lawyer could rustle one up

Assuming you didn’t blow “quick enough” and the goal went in, and you give it, what do you give the defender?

Yellow card or no card?

Genuine question

Assuming you didn’t blow “quick enough” and the goal went in, and you give it, what do you give the defender?

Yellow card or no card?

Genuine question
Screenshot_20230208-200625.png
Summarised here.
The offender is cautioned if advantage on what would otherwise be DOGSO

I think every referee is blowing immediately there. It is obvious, it is a clear red card, why on earth would anyone wait.

Of course you will get the blame if the penalty is missed. But you will also get the blame if the player that the other team feel should have been sent off goes down the other end and scores a goal.

Maybe I'm missing something but if it was a throw-in (as per the description) surely there's no DOGSO because a goal can't be scored directly from a throw-in.

There was a 2006 Q&A about this.

Screenshot_2023_0209_120009.png

I had one this week. Attacker tripped in the penalty area, just about to blow for pen, when another defender toes the ball in the net - goal!

Well done me.......said no one! :p

It denied a goal.
It did. But a good lawyer I think could found an appeal on the suspension, as a result of a refereeing error as opposed to denying a goal, as had the referee not blown the whistle, in this case, prematurely, the player would not have been sent off and as such would not be required to serve a suspension for that offence.

It was entirely hypothetical of course and none of us know the answer as to how an appeal of that nature would pan out.

Assuming you delay the whistle who's still giving a penalty and red card if the rebound is missed?

Me. It's quick enough to say advantage not accrued. And the only advantage on denial of a goal is a goal (in my opinion). That's assuming timescales remain the same.
Assuming you delay the whistle who's still giving a penalty and red card if the rebound is missed?

It did. But a good lawyer I think could found an appeal on the suspension, as a result of a refereeing error as opposed to denying a goal, as had the referee not blown the whistle, in this case, prematurely, the player would not have been sent off and as such would not be required to serve a suspension for that offence.

It was entirely hypothetical of course and none of us know the answer as to how an appeal of that nature would pan out.
If the appeal panel is competent, the appeal would be laughed out of the room. A miscreant has no right to have advantage applied. And the offense did deny the goal—the fact a subsequent goal could have been scored if adva was applied doesn’t change that.

If the appeal panel is competent, the appeal would be laughed out of the room. A miscreant has no right to have advantage applied. And the offense did deny the goal—the fact a subsequent goal could have been scored if adva was applied doesn’t change that.
Agreed, the application of advantage is in the opinion of the referee. It is not a stated law! The stated law is DOGSO-H, so how can the referee be wrong on law to award the penalty and RC. Yes, the referee has made a mistake, but not a mistake in law.

Advantage can be rightfully played on this afaic.

The referee may play advantage whenever an offence occurs but should consider the following in deciding whether to apply the advantage or stop play:

the severity of the offence – if the offence warrants a sending-off, the referee must stop play and send off the player unless there is a clear opportunity to score a goal

From lotg

For me, giving it a couple seconds of thinking time is where you can look at the advantage as well.

If he misses that, blow after your "thinking time".

It's not directly from the throw in, it is a header towards the goal that would have been a goal if not for the DOGSOH
OK, not aware of that but just to be clear, if the ball was heading straight into the net when handled that's denial of a goal, not denial of an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

However, having looked at the clip (which I hadn't done earlier) it could be either since there was an opponent directly behind the defender who looked like he was going to reach the ball and head it in before it crossed the line.

Back