A&H

Player pole-axed - fairly?

Ive posted the link in a fans forum... i'll let you know their feedback......(surprised a bit so far with the responses)

Since when have fans known about the laws ...?!

If I was observing a level 7 and he didn't caution there I would be very disappointed. If he didn't even give a free kick I think I'd snap my pencil in surprise ...

The Referee Store
Yes I agree with that statement as well football is a contact sport, its judging that contact of what is acceptable and unacceptable which makes us Refs!

Since when have fans known about the laws ...?!

If I was observing a level 7 and he didn't caution there I would be very disappointed. If he didn't even give a free kick I think I'd snap my pencil in surprise ...
Let's turn that around, Laws or rules are made by committees and legal definitions are foisted on us to attempt to implement. Without fans we haven't got a game. Their input, right or wrong is equally relevant to your opinion Rustie....

Let's turn that around, Laws or rules are made by committees and legal definitions are foisted on us to attempt to implement. Without fans we haven't got a game. Their input, right or wrong is equally relevant to your opinion Rustie....

Yes, but if you were to show 50 SFP red card challenges on a fans forum they would say that most of them shouldn't be red cards. That doesn't mean they are right, but rather they don't understand the current definition of what constitutes a red card for SFP.

Yes, but if you were to show 50 SFP red card challenges on a fans forum they would say that most of them shouldn't be red cards. That doesn't mean they are right, but rather they don't understand the current definition of what constitutes a red card for SFP.
TBF, 2 so far have said RC, one even got the right phraseology........ stop being condescending to fans Rustie, some know as much or even more than you!!!

TBF, 2 so far have said RC, one even got the right phraseology........ stop being condescending to fans Rustie, some know as much or even more than you!!!

And how many have said no foul?

He's one of the better pundits, but Alan Smith showed his lack of understanding of the laws when Mike Dean wouldn't allow Man City to take a quick free kick as he had to caution Adam Smith. "He's penalised them there, surely he could have shown the card after". Err, no he couldn't Alan.

Problem with many fan forums and social media pages is that even if the challenge is 2 footed and waist high, guaranteed 75% of posters will automatically say "didn't touch him", "play on" etc simply because they think they are being funny and/or they hate referees/players/teams playing.

With regard to the "challenge" in the OP, I would be carding that all day long. Little intent to win the ball, 100% intent to wipe out opponent.

The OP challenge reminds me of quite a few I have seen in youth football when players experience a surge of adrenaline. I have dropped a few clangers, maybe half a dozen, where I have misread the offence or penalised the wrong player (notwithstanding fault on both sides). As such, on benign collisions I am now more likely to be slow on the whistle, but in this instance it made me wince enough to deduce foul/yellow card territory. Taking the ball does not preclude misconduct; sometimes you know full well your intention to stop a player moving in a direction and touching the ball prior is merely incidental; other times, hitting the player is an unfortunate byproduct of a committed, yet fair, challenge. Distinguishing the two is a constant test for referees.

Most facebook pages showing the incident in Australia are saying 'no foul'.
Yet I have absolutely no doubt that if you referee ANY of those people saying 'no foul' and one of their teammates copped this hit, they'd think you were the worst referee in the world!!

Well its split....Quick tot up.... 13 say Play on, 12 say yellow, 7 say Red......

Its on another referee forum too and the results are pretty similar there too. Maybe these so called fans know more than you give them credit for.....

Still Play on for me..... sorry!!!

Just out of interest would anyone have had any hesitation in sending off Bellerin if he had took down salah even 10 yards into the Liverpool half yesterday? Also did anyone see hibs game yesterday where stokes ran and pushed the dundee keeper over hard when ball was in play elsewhere he only got a yellow? Surely that is a red?

Just out of interest would anyone have had any hesitation in sending off Bellerin if he had took down salah even 10 yards into the Liverpool half yesterday? Also did anyone see hibs game yesterday where stokes ran and pushed the dundee keeper over hard when ball was in play elsewhere he only got a yellow? Surely that is a red?

Yes, Bellerin would have had to go. One of the fastest players in the PL would have had a massive head start on the closest defender. Moving directly towards goal, ball at his feet, no covering player anywhere near, ticks all the boxes really.

Yes, Bellerin would have had to go. One of the fastest players in the PL would have had a massive head start on the closest defender. Moving directly towards goal, ball at his feet, no covering player anywhere near, ticks all the boxes really.
I agree, just unusual for it to happen that high up pitch. Interesting you mention the pace of salah, (agree also) what if it was a mid pace player like lallana for example?

Back