A&H

Penalty

Paul_Jones

Level 7 Referee
please don't just answer with "because they are the laws" but...

The arc on the edge of the penalty area is there for the sole purpose of keeping players 10 yards away from the ball and the goalkeeper must remain on his line meaning he must stay 12 yards away from the ball. Given that technically you dont have to shoot from a penalty why does the goalkeeper have to be 2 yards further away than everybody else on the field of play?

The Referee Store

The arc on the edge of the penalty area is there for the sole purpose of keeping players 10 yards away from the ball and the goalkeeper must remain on his line meaning he must stay 12 yards away from the ball. Given that technically you dont have to shoot from a penalty why does the goalkeeper have to be 2 yards further away than everybody else on the field of play?

I would suggest that the primary purpose of a penalty is to give the opposition a chance to score. If the keeper is just 2 yards further forward the angle is narrowed down massively and increases his chance of saving the goal considerably.

to keep the dimensions of the pitch symmetrical ? probably nothing more than that :rolleyes:

If he robs two yards and makes a save most referee's won't give a retake anyway.

2 I would, one probs not. When you're on your own there's a lot of things to look at, keeper, ball, taker, other players ya de ya.

Even with 4 eyes I can see when a keper's taking the pish.

Back