A&H

Penalty thoughts?.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another possible way of dealing with this is a quick brief at the coin toss with the captains.
" okay fellas down to penalties I'll just warn you now so there is no confusion the penalty kick is over when the ball either: stops moving and is on the ground, is in the back of the net ( ie a goal has been scored), the keeper has it in his hands or it goes out of play. Clear?"

Then let the keepers know exactly the same so they don't fall for this. May seem pedant ice but as this shows if could save your bacon :)

The Referee Store
The chances of this happening are slimmer than slim. Why mention it at all?
Just for the one time it does happen because if you are being watched (ie. On a cup final) it will look great when you can say "I told them what I expected" like I say it just saves you that one time it does happen :)

I'm all about the percentages. Just don't see the point mentioning it when the chance of it happening is highly unlikely. 17 years of refereeing and I'm yet to see it

Hey.... thats what refereeing is about isnt it?..... angles and opinions....

I'm not being coy....I simply posed a question to get people thinking as I know there are many varying thoughts out there on this one.

OK, you've had everyone's opinion on this. The only person who thought it shouldn't be a goal was incorrect in law so it seems that there aren't actually "many varying thoughts". What's your opinion?

OK, you've had everyone's opinion on this. The only person who thought it shouldn't be a goal was incorrect in law so it seems that there aren't actually "many varying thoughts". What's your opinion?
Why is it incorrect in law to disallow the goal?

@McTavish Yes there are.
Only a couple of varying thoughts on here but many more out there.

There doesn't have to be a definitive answer. The LOTG states that the referee decides when a pen is over. Advice since previous controversies is that the momentum from the players boot should be considered et etc..

The video shows a perfectly good goal.... but had the referee decided that the penalty was over, he would of been backed up by the powers that be...

Lol... i dont know if id prefer to give this goal or not.... uproar from either team i think....

Why is it incorrect in law to disallow the goal?

The goal crossed the line under the bar...... a goal according to lotg....

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently proactive refereeing is frowned upon. If you leave the ball to enter the goal, one team will complain. If you catch it mid air no team will complain. Why go looking for trouble?? It'll find you anyway

I don't believe you are wrong callum, but moving from where the referee is standing you would need to get to the ball before it landed and spun back towards goal, or you would look like a real idiot groping for a ball which had bounced unexpectedly back the way it had come. As you would not be expecting the ball to do what it did, would you really sprint across the 6 yard box to catch the ball?

That said, after this discussion perhaps you would just in case this insanely unlikely event re-occurred! :D

Good point!!

I'd probably make a bee line for the ball then punt it 'have it' style onto the next estate. Before wheeling away, shirt over my head and whistling like a mad man...

Reactions: SM
Yes, I do know what constitutes a goal.
However as you've already said, the referee is perfectly within his own right to disallow the goal.
So disallowing the goal isn't incorrect in law.

Yes it is.

I don't believe you are wrong callum, but moving from where the referee is standing you would need to get to the ball before it landed and spun back towards goal, or you would look like a real idiot groping for a ball which had bounced unexpectedly back the way it had come. As you would not be expecting the ball to do what it did, would you really sprint across the 6 yard box to catch the ball?

That said, after this discussion perhaps you would just in case this insanely unlikely event re-occurred! :D

Just go for it, do an acrobatic kick, back of the net, celebrate the goal as the referee is neutral and fully part of the game :cool:

This is one of those "once in a career" type incidents but, within LOTG, I believe that the goal should stand. The complication is the time involved from the ball hitting the bar to finally entering the goal. How many of us would have signalled or communicated "no goal" before the ball eventually crossed the line?

Another possible way of dealing with this is a quick brief at the coin toss with the captains.
" okay fellas down to penalties I'll just warn you now so there is no confusion the penalty kick is over when the ball either: stops moving and is on the ground, is in the back of the net ( ie a goal has been scored), the keeper has it in his hands or it goes out of play. Clear?"

Then let the keepers know exactly the same so they don't fall for this. May seem pedant ice but as this shows if could save your bacon :)
I'd imagine before every game you go to both goalkeepers and tell them "if you take a goal kick and the wind blows it back in the penalty area before anyone else touches it, if you touch it, its an indirect free kick" :)

I'd imagine before every game you go to both goalkeepers and tell them "if you take a goal kick and the wind blows it back in the penalty area before anyone else touches it, if you touch it, its an indirect free kick" :)
No, because that is a point of law, one of which there is only one outcome. This is subjective, one where my opinion (as the referee on the day) may differ from another referee, by explaining to the keepers and captains when the penalty is over, it makes everything clear and doesn't come back to bite me.

How come? I don't want this to sound arrogant or sarcastic but please can you show me where in the LOTG it falls under? I've never seen it before.

Read the definition of a goal in lotg... this is the law therefore disallowing a goal for no apparent reason would be wrong in law.

Read the definition of a goal in lotg... this is the law therefore disallowing a goal for no apparent reason would be wrong in law.
No reason apart from the penalt being over, which as is clear on this thread, is debatable...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back