A&H

Penalty thoughts?.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalB

referees go unnoticed - until he makes an error
Level 5 Referee
Observer/Tutor

The youtube clip states that the keeper made a howler and his team were knocked out........ but should this of been the case?.....

The Referee Store
Don't see why not.

The ball has entered the goal entirely under its own momentum. Yes, it's taken a long time to get there but if it had hit the post, rolled slowly along the line, hit the other post and rolled in it could take a similar length of time and there would be no question that the goal would be allowed.

The only part of the law that might be used to disallow is that "The referee decides when a penalty kick has been completed" but I see no reason to decide that it had been completed before the ball had stopped moving.

Definite goal. No one has interacted with the ball after the penalty was taken so anything that happens to the ball is part of the original penalty.

Keep thinking guys.......

Grab the ball quickly while no one is looking and put it back ready for the next penalty, saves so much agro!

I always believed that once the ball stopped moving forwards (I.e. towards the goal) then the penalty was over. So for this instance once the ball has bounced back off the bar, the penalty is declared missed, please correct me if I'm wrong though

I'm afraid @jack.prescott thats one of the many great myths of football, along with the putting your name on it etc. Thinking logically if you apply the moving forward then any penalty that rebounded from bar/crossbar and struck the goalkeeper and went in would not count.

The ball has simply continued its natural motion from the initial kick and the penalty should stand.

I'm afraid @jack.prescott thats one of the many great myths of football, along with the putting your name on it etc. Thinking logically if you apply the moving forward then any penalty that rebounded from bar/crossbar and struck the goalkeeper and went in would not count.

The ball has simply continued its natural motion from the initial kick and the penalty should stand.
Could you imagine deciding a cup final with this penalty in a shootout though???.....
There is more too it than black and white......... more thoughts guys please....

Could you imagine deciding a cup final with this penalty in a shootout though???.....
There is more too it than black and white......... more thoughts guys please....
It would be awesome to happen in a cup final. Legend. Dary. As long as you know the LOTG and allow the goal that is...

It would be awesome to happen in a cup final. Legend. Dary. As long as you know the LOTG and allow the goal that is...

OK........ Please share your thoughts on why the goal should stand.... and where in LOTG it states this should be the case.

Cheers

OK........ Please share your thoughts on why the goal should stand.... and where in LOTG it states this should be the case.
Several people have already said why the goal should stand. To be very clear in the LOTG:
"A goal is scored when the whole of the ball passes over the goal line, between the goalposts and under the crossbar, provided that no infringement of the Laws of the Game has been committed previously by the team scoring the goal."
You obviously have another opinion so could you stop being so coy and actually say what you think?

Very simple: the referee decides when a penalty kick has been completed.

Ball dead? Nope. Did it cross the line between the posts and under the crossbar? Yip.

Thank you and good night.

Several people have already said why the goal should stand. To be very clear in the LOTG:
"A goal is scored when the whole of the ball passes over the goal line, between the goalposts and under the crossbar, provided that no infringement of the Laws of the Game has been committed previously by the team scoring the goal."
You obviously have another opinion so could you stop being so coy and actually say what you think?

Hey.... thats what refereeing is about isnt it?..... angles and opinions....

I'm not being coy....I simply posed a question to get people thinking as I know there are many varying thoughts out there on this one.

Very simple: the referee decides when a penalty kick has been completed.

Ball dead? Nope. Did it cross the line between the posts and under the crossbar? Yip.

Thank you and good night.

Chill out mate. A simple q and a debate is all this is supposed to be.

If This happens to me no way am I allowing the goal... Or the ball to cross the line for that matter. I'm getting my arse into gear and catching the ball as it falls.

No point causing aggro for yourself when it's easily avoidable

Some of the stuff on here is getting beyond the pale. Too many just out to look after, trying to anyway, themselves rather than the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back