A&H

Penalty Shoot out

Monksie

Good Evening everyone, i have a league cup game tomorrow, if goes to penalties do i need to record the player numbers for the first five before the shoot out starts or just do it as they walk up.

The Referee Store
Good Evening everyone, i have a league cup game tomorrow, if goes to penalties do i need to record the player numbers for the first five before the shoot out starts or just do it as they walk up.
No, no, a thousand times no!

There seems to be a pervasive myth that the five have to be provided at the start, but that is absolutely not true. As @es1 says, you simply note them as they come to take the kick so that you can ensure that no one takes a second kick until everyone has taken one.

To get a better perspective on this, imagine for one moment you were to take advance note of the first five.
What do you do if we go beyond that?
go to sideline and take more numbers?
if we look at the implications if taking 5 and it goes beyond thst, hopefully its easier to understand why we take no advance numbers

To get a better perspective on this, imagine for one moment you were to take advance note of the first five.
What do you do if we go beyond that?
go to sideline and take more numbers?
if we look at the implications if taking 5 and it goes beyond thst, hopefully its easier to understand why we take no advance numbers
Absolutely, happy with the advice given and your point is taken thank you.

No, no, a thousand times no!

There seems to be a pervasive myth that the five have to be provided at the start, but that is absolutely not true. As @es1 says, you simply note them as they come to take the kick so that you can ensure that no one takes a second kick until everyone has taken one.
Wasn't that the case though before the law changed to say a list did not need to be provided or have a I dreamed that?

Whether it was a myth or not it was the understood practice among referees. I recall in 2009 Charity Shield game between Man U and Chelsea and Deco being sent back by Referee Chris Foy as he was listed as the 5th kicker on the list given to him. Kalou had to take the fourth kick which was the winning penalty. The current law tidies it up now as the team just sends forward the kickers as they see fit.

I always get in early and tell the teams inc managers/coaches, 3 main points to 'remind' them of:-

Only the 11 players who finished the match can take part

Only those 11 allowed on fop (in the centre circle, apart from the GKs and taker)

You can take them in any order you like, you don't have to tell me, or anyone else!

Back