A&H

Penalty retake ...x2

The Referee Store
I had problems with that link (it came up as a mobile link) Try this one
if you have problems.

I have to admit, I don't see a problem with it. If the LOTG say the keeper must stay on the line, why would we not give it? I know that it would cause uproar and, as can be seen, the usual protests (only one yellow issued?), but having seen him come off the line as far as he did (and it was a couple of yards quite a bit before the kick) how could we wave away the protests of the attacking team. Brave call by the officials (and the right one - IMO).

Goes back to do we get decisions right or do we bottle it? for me refereeing is about honesty therefore make the right decisions!

The keeper was way off his line when the ball was kicked, and he saved it. Has to be retaken, as many times as it take for the penalty to be scored OR for the numpty to realise he has to stay on his line!

I got pulled by an assessor because a GK was behind his line, stepping forward on to the line when the ball was kicked. I was told he had to be ON HIS LINE UNTIL THE BALL WAS KICKED, simples.

I'm sorry but that's absolutley crazy. The GK is a yard, two at the most off his line. We can say that the LOTG state that he has to be on his line but how many of us get a tape measure out to make sure the ball is between 27-28 inches? The scales out to make sure tha ball is 410-450grams? Don't be a robot people. There's absolutley no need for it, especially for the fact:

1) If you can't beat a GK from 10 yards away then quite frankly you don't deserve to score!
2) You've got comms kit, use it. Don't put the flag up and put the ref in an awkward position
3) Your match control will be shot to peices

Whistle, I think you may be on your own with this one. I accept that sometimes Law 18 should come in to play but I don't feel that we should ignore the laws just to maintain match control. As I said earlier, if the ref had not called it (knowing that there was an infringement) where would his match control go if the attackers had seen the obvious infringement and the ref had chosen to do nothing.
1. I agree, but if the goalie puts you in a position where you only have 8 or less yards in which to shoot if becomes more difficult.
2. I agree to a certain exent, but comms kit or not, isn't the job of the AR to bring to the attention of the ref infringements that he may not have seen? It is still ultimately the refs decision.
3. See my comment above.

This is why we ref though, for the healthy debate and such clear cut decisions!!

I find it unbelievable that a referee would consider NOT giving this - it's a blatantly against the LOTG.

1. As a referee, it's not your job to have an opinion about whether or not the striker "deserves" to score, but rather to enforce the laws. Especially when this blatant infringement of the laws has given the keeper a significant advantage.
2. The role of the AR at a penalty is to observe the keepers position on the line, and the correct signal if the keeper infringes is to raise his flag. If there is some doubt about the decision, by all means use the comms kit - but it's clear from the video that there is no reason for this AR to have any doubt about the decision.
3. I can't imagine a situation in which I would deliberately make a wrong decision (particularly one as crucial as retaking of a penalty) to improve/preserve my control of the match. Yes, there are situations where the laws can and should be bent (Collina's book has a good section on this) but I can't imagine a referee with the courage of Collina buckling to pressure in this situation.

I can see why it was given, but on the supply league we operate on, we're often told by the referee not to flag until the goalkeeper is on his 6yrd line, like or not.

Referees are too worried about their club marks!

I has this situation 4 weeks ago (although the keeper was even further off his line). Ordered a retake in the 90 minute and an otherwise very quiet game exploded! 2 red cards for offinabus and the retake was scored making the game 3-0 (so the penalty didn't matter either way).

I would do exactly the same again despite the ruckus. Once you start randomly deciding which laws to enforce during a game you may make your own games easier to manage, but you make future refs games all the harder. All because you have no balls for making tough but correct calls.

Funnily enough, the player who replaced the keeper for the retake thought be would be funny and stood behind the line and said "am I alright standing here?" I went over and explained clearly you must be on the line, face the kicker and I already have to fill in 2 sending off reports, don't be stupid and make it 3. Shut him up

Back