A&H

Open Age One of those games

RustyRef

Administrator
Staff member
Not really had many lively games recently, but all changed this morning. 2nd minute I become aware of a kerfuffle between defender and striker as the ball is out of play, thought I'd sorted it all out after talking to them. 30 seconds later as ball is in play I realise they are at it again, so stop play and caution both. At that point all players are in a "debate", coaches and managers from both teams are on the pitch, and it is clear I have a long 87 minutes ahead of me.

Given the state of everything I decide to call in both captains, take them off to the side and make it clear they need to help me. As I'm doing this I hear a shout of "ref", and now realise that there is a player on the floor having allegedly been hit. Didn't see it so obviously couldn't do anything, so return to the captains and make it clear that I'm in danger of abandoning. To their credit they got hold of things, and subbed off the two players who had been cautioned which seemed to calm things down (rolling subs in this league).

Three cautions later it all appeared to be under control, but then the away team, who were three goals up, decided I wasn't giving them any decisions. In the middle of cautioning their player manager who had overstepped the mark with dissent, when his team mate looks at me from 5 yards away and says, albeit fairly quietly, you're a *****. Pulled the red card from my back pocket with my pen hand to get rid of him, he walked without complaints despite every other player saying he hadn't said anything.

Just one of those games that everything happened. Yellow cards, red card, penalised a back pass, two penalties, countless penalty appeals, amongst other things. Certainly the hardest game I've ever had in three years on that league. Yet, and you can probably guess this ...

... after 90 minutes every single player shook hands with each other and me. I was expecting problems at full time, but it's almost as though they've caused their problems, had their fights, so can now shake hands.

The Referee Store
Back