A&H

Junior/Youth One of 'Those Days'

Matthew

RefChat Addict
Well, it's been one of those days!

Reffed an ill tempered U16's game this morning which resulted in one caution (Persistent Infringement), one red (OFFINABUS) and 4 misconduct reports!

The first half was ok, aside from a few niggling fouls until just before half time when a white player went in for a challenge with a blue player and left a foot in. I'm almost certain that white stamped on the blue defender but I couldn't act on it because I wasn't 100% sure. Unfortunately, this set the tone for the rest of the game. Halftime came and went and around 50 minutes in I had to give a white player a final warning following a couple of fouls. Obviously, he completely ignored the warning and I booked him a couple of minutes later. After that, white got continually more aggressive with loads going on behind my back, not much I could do with no NAR's. White were leading 2-1 with 20 to play when blue got a shot in from 25 yards and was caught late. I put the whistle to my mouth and was about the blow when the ball nestled in the bottom corner. I awarded the goal as I hadn't yet blown and walked back to the centre to shouts of 'you were about to blow, you can't do that' etc when the white striker shouted across his disapproval before adding ' you cheating b*stard'. Obviously, I called him across, took his name and showed him the red! Luckily, the red card seemed to calm the game down until the final 5 minutes when white snook an extra player on whilst I was dealing with an injury. Really poor form, suffice to say I wasn't impressed! To make matters even worse, blue then scored the winner with the last kick of the game. Final score 3-2!

I went over and had a chat with the blue manager before getting the match card and confirming names, marking cautions etc when the white player I'd booked earlier walked across and asked me what the booking was for. I told him it was for persistent infringement with his block on the keeper bringing the booking. He then said that I was wrong and that I couldn't send it in, before a few of his teammates surrounded me to complain further. I said that I wouldn't be changing my mind and that they needed to move away from me. I continued to walk and looked up to see the same player kicking the ball at me, luckily, I managed to duck out of the way! Not impressed! :mad:

All in all, a terrible day! Three player misconduct reports and a coach misconduct for his language and behaviour towards his players and the other team on the touchline! Plenty of paperwork for me tomorrow :D

The Referee Store
Sounds like a tough one mate. Don't take it to heart, we all have them from time to time.

Obviously you need to gauge the likely reaction, but I would have been tempted to red card the player who kicked the ball at me for VC or, at the very least a she one yellow for attempt striking. Not pleasant by the sounds of it. And they wonder why there aren't always enough refs!

Obviously you need to gauge the likely reaction, but I would have been tempted to red card the player who kicked the ball at me for VC or, at the very least a she one yellow for attempt striking. Not pleasant by the sounds of it. And they wonder why there aren't always enough refs!

I did consider the red card for VC as he was still on the pitch, but given that I was already in a vulnerable position in that the team had just surrounded me I felt it was best to leave it. I just wanted to walk away and let the FA deal with it.

Back