A&H

Next Manager Of England

The Referee Store
I have mixed feelings on Allardyce. He always said he would be an amazing manager if he was allowed the reigns at Real Madrid..... Would it be a risk? No more than having woy in the seat.

Klinsman.... Might be a good choice. :)

Literally anybody but Allardyce. I have read this morning that he was interviewed yesterday......please no. I don't think I will watch them if he gets it.

Reactions: SM
Look at it another way - constantly the press and 'experts' bemoan how the England manager is never able to get the best out of the players and never able to win matches when it matters. Surely in this scenario Allardyce is actually a good choice, as he isn't trying to get them to play more expansive football, but win matches in tournaments.

I know a lot of West Ham fans who liked him in charge, he may not be expansive or attacking but he is not the defensive plodder people think he is, and his record is pretty good. Ultimately all people remember is winning matches, some of the teams who reached the last 8 of the Euros weren't particularly exciting but no-one remembers that. Sorry, I'd rather we just won a few games and if that takes someone like Allardyce or whoever, that's fine for me.

Look at it another way - constantly the press and 'experts' bemoan how the England manager is never able to get the best out of the players and never able to win matches when it matters. Surely in this scenario Allardyce is actually a good choice, as he isn't trying to get them to play more expansive football, but win matches in tournaments.

I know a lot of West Ham fans who liked him in charge, he may not be expansive or attacking but he is not the defensive plodder people think he is, and his record is pretty good. Ultimately all people remember is winning matches, some of the teams who reached the last 8 of the Euros weren't particularly exciting but no-one remembers that. Sorry, I'd rather we just won a few games and if that takes someone like Allardyce or whoever, that's fine for me.
I agree about the winning matches bit but still want to see something entertaining. LVG had decent spells and good winning runs at Man Utd, doesn't mean you actually enjoyed watching them. Personally I would go for an Eddie Howe or someone like that. Do things in the right way and young enough to be given time, lets get a manager in for the next 10-15 years and actually build something.

Reactions: SM
I'm far from Allardyce's biggest fan, but the one thing he is good at is grinding out the results that he needs to get through to the next match - and look, Portugal just won the Euro's doing exactly that. There's no way on earth I'd want him as manager of my club side, but as England boss, I could certainly see it as an experiment worth trying.

I love the idea of Eddie Howe. However, it would screw his career sadly as the English media want success or someone to pin to the cross.

Why want that as a young manager?

Allardyce is a dinosaur, and appointing him would do nothing to move England forward. The key thing at international football is ball retention, and I have never seen anything from his teams to promote this. At club level you can get away with getting the ball forward quickly, at top level International football you can't as once you've given the ball away you won't get it back again.

It needs a progressive manager with modern ideas, and if that means he isn't English then so be it. Best case scenario would have been persuading Klopp to leave Liverpool to take over at England - would have cost a lot of money but when you look at what the FA have already paid to Hodgson, Capello and Eriksson it is probably small fry. Perhaps have a look at Laurent Blanc, he is certainly more modern than Allardyce?

Alladyce is literally the best choice. End of.

Redknapp is too far gone, but he would have been top choice.

long gone are the days of 'pretty' international football, its all about results - most football fans watch the international tournaments to cheer their country on and hopefully watch them win it - this is definitely something Big Sam can do.

oh, and from being a season ticket holder at West Ham and watching him week in, week out - he isn't as bad as everyone makes out, I loved him - as im sure Sunderland and Bolton fans do also - may it speaks volumes when the teams he was given the chance at all love him?

@SM and @RustyRef have summed it up perfectly. The England job is a poisoned chalice we have a media that build them up just so that they have further to fall when they knock them down again. The Sun newspaper (if you can call it that) printing stories revealing Hodgson's tactics and team sheet for the Russia game.....why?

Why would any manager worth his salt want to be part of that? So instead of an up and coming Howe, Blanc, Klopp we are left with Redknapp or Allardyce. We will no doubt finish top of the qualifying group for Russia 2018, wont lose a game, go straight to Russia and loose to Papau New Guniea and come home before the fans.

I did say teams he has been given a chance at @Kes

maybe you wouldn't have suffered 2 relegations if he'd stayed in the hot seat?

just saying ... how are feeling about the up coming championship season? :p;)

I honestly don't know why anyone thinks Sam is bad choice? his record overall is actually great.

@Charlie Jones we are talking about the same Sam aren't we???? His best record was a 43% win ratio at Blackpool in the early 90's and he did OK at Bolton, since then he has produced 80's Wimbledon style teams with a big striker and someone in the middle of the park to kick everyone.

right ...

and pretty football has won us a last 16 and a couple of quarter finals?

I'm happy to watch that football and get the cups.

your club football is where you want to see good football week in week ou etc - international, I just want the pride of England.

right ...

and pretty football has won us a last 16 and a couple of quarter finals?

I'm happy to watch that football and get the cups.

your club football is where you want to see good football week in week ou etc - international, I just want the pride of England.

Ah right I get you because Big Sam's style of football has won him loads of cups!! :D:D

Back