A&H

Open Age Next assessment

zarathustra

RefChat Addict
Well I have my 2nd assessment lined up for this Sunday.

Both teams are new to me, though the home team is second in the league (but no chance of coming top) and the away team is bottom of the middle of the table so whilst neither are playing to be champions, a loss for the home team could see the team in 3rd over take them.

I know what I need to improve on from my last assessment, so I will be taking a much harder stance and dealing with dissent earlier rather than later.

Should be an interesting game for my last middle of the season

The Referee Store
Well thatso my second assessment done.

I think it went OK, but I let myself down on my positioning, again.

I was pushing I to the penalty area this time, but not far enough.

I also ended up with my back to my assistants a couple of times.

And dropped some silly marks for not ensuring subs stay off the pitch until the player they are replacing has left.

He was happy with my use of quite words with players, and managing get the distances at free kicks.

Still, will wait for the assessment to turn up to get the full low down.

Positioning will come. Not saying ignore it, but push it down the list. Honestly, its much more an unconscious thing. Concentrate on game management; ensuring you can see what is going on, staying on top of stuff etc and the positioning will come almost by default.

Thanks.

Yes, I personally think my movement around the pitch, distance from play, and positioning at set pieces and during open play have improved 100% from where I was at the start of the season.

But as you say, with experience I will get better at Reading the game and players, which means I will instinctively choose the ideal position.

It wasn't a "difficult" game by any standards, so didn't have much opportunity to flex my refereeing muscles, but I'm happy that I had control and didn't need to whip my cards out.

The subs things did annoy me, as it's a silly thing to drop marks on, but I'll take it on the chin and remember it for my next match in the middle.

The subs thing is a technical point of law and I guarantee you'll be a lot tighter on it in future (that's the whole point of assessments ... to make you better, that little more polished). If you weren't able to differentiate between a careless and reckless challenge or recognise/properly sanction violent conduct, then I'd be more worried.

The subs thing is a technical point of law and I guarantee you'll be a lot tighter on it in future (that's the whole point of assessments ... to make you better, that little more polished). If you weren't able to differentiate between a careless and reckless challenge or recognise/properly sanction violent conduct, then I'd be more worried.

Thanks, it annoyed me more because I know it's a little thing which I should have been on top of.

As for the rest of the feed back he gave me I'm happy the match went OK.

Obviously we have discussed the number of free kicks on the the Simulation thread, and will use more "hard words" with people on the verge of persistent infringement moving forwards.

The assessor was happy with with my application of law, recognition of fouls, and he said that he didn't see any cards that I might of missed.

The only other thing he picked up was at one point in the first half I waited too long to ask for a replacement ball when the original ball went for a trip into the trees.

Well the assessment is back and again there were no great surprises. Other than I only gave 17 free kicks during the game, rather than the 30 I originally said, no idea where I got 30 from but I'm not complaining.

The assessor thought I could have played a few more advantages than I did, but I felt neither team was appreciating them and they were happier with the free kicks. I also missed an offside flag from one of the CARS, but I didn't know I'd missed it until I got the assessment so there was obviously no impact on the game, and the team didn't mention it.

I got standard expected for application of law and match control with positioning and movement being below standard expected.

Development points were
Waiting too long to ask for a replacement ball
Not ensuring substitutions were carried out correctly.
And not pushing into the penalty area far enough at set pieces etc.

My strengths were listed as:
Good prematch instructions to my assistants
Good control of distance at free kicks etc
Good use of quite words with players

Over all I'm happy with my perforce in the game. It certainly wasn't a difficult game to control, but over all my personal feelings are that I controlled the game well and allowed play to flow where possible.

Aside from the development points mentioned by my assessor I know that next season I need to try and look out for advantages where the temperature of the game allows, try and make more use of quietc words where applicable.

I'm not a very "talkative" referee, but I in this instance being able to have a bit on banter with two receptive teams made the match a little better for all concerned.

Thanks for all the advice guys, this forum continues to be a goldmine of information.

Now to finish the season with my first supply league u21 line and a league cup final line.

How far did he want you into the PA for set pieces? I would say you're mostly outside except for PKs and corners

Positioning will come. Not saying ignore it, but push it down the list. Honestly, its much more an unconscious thing. Concentrate on game management; ensuring you can see what is going on, staying on top of stuff etc and the positioning will come almost by default.

As you are being assessed, i'm assuming that you are going for 7-6 promotion. If that is the case i'd completely ignore the above.

Being assessed 7-6 there are 3 core competencies which you should have been given at your promotion seminar:
1) Application of Law - recognising fouls, recognising difference between careless, reckless and excessive, ensuring correct restarts
2) Match Control - Demonstrating confidence, consistency in match control, variety of management skills and techniques
3) Positioning and Movement - Understanding of diagonal path, optimum positions for set pieces, starts and restarts, taking credible positions when recognising foul play, good level of fitness and fluidity

The fact that you've been given a Below Standard for one of the core competencies would indicate that there is something significant to work on (which doesn't seem to have been called out in the development bullet points). You said that you got picked up on having your backs to your assistants, are you running a diagonal? At what times in the game do you have your back to the AR? Are you fit enough or is that something you need to really work on during the off season?

Its hard when you post on to a forum about a game that only you were at. This season has been my first experience of assessors, i've had 5 advisories as an AR on a supply league and 1 of my 3 7-6 promotion assessments and each one i've taken something from to try to improve on. The trick is to sit down and work out which bits are the individual assessors "foibles" and which are things I need to fix - for example I got deducted marks on an AR assessment for failing to deal with "a partially recumbent corner flag in the second half"

It is a bit annoying, my last assessment the assessor said to push further into the penalty area but still gavery me standard expected for positioning. I did that on Sunday and got below standard expected.

I only had my back to my assistants a couple of times, mainly when play switched quickly from the right to the left, though I think this may have been down to me being too side on, as I suspect if I'd had a better angle I could have moved to follow play whilst still being able to keep my assistant in my peripheral vision.

As for how far they want me to push into the penalty area, I'm not sure as all I've been told is to get further in there at times.

Actually further to my last post in my previous assessment my positioning and movement was above the standard expected, I certainly didn't think my positioning was off enough to warrant dropping down two places.

Oh well, hopefully I manage to improve on my final assessment

What was your overall grade?

The fact that 2 assessments have mentioned the need to push deeper into the penalty area should be telling you something!

Depending on how bad the issue with the subtituions was, you could have been looking at a below standard in AOL as well......the procedure is quite clearly defined in the LOTG.

Over all grade was standard expected.

On sunday I was pushing further into the penalty area, however I obviously need to push further in on my next one.

The issue with substitutions was not making sure the player coming on stayed off the fop until the person he was replacing had left.

Back