A&H

New Scottish FA Referee

scotty w

Level 7 Referee
I am recently just qualified in October. Having read several posts on this forum and it's quite interesting to see the differences between how the Scottish FA runs a new introductory course and how our colleagues in England run the course. In Scotland we run a 8 week class based course one night a week to learn with laws of the game. With exam at the end and that you are left to start refereeing. Also an online course. There is no practical session for new referees in Scotland. I have seen videos of courses in England doing a weekend practical course. Practicing hand signals, whistling, as well as flag signals.

This is just an observation being a new referee I think my RA or Scottish FA are missing a trick here. I don't know if it's just my RA and it maybe happens in other parts of Scotland.

New referees are encouraged to attend weekly training and monthly meetings. Which I have been doing and this is fine. I think a practical session after the exam would be hugely beneficial before taking your first game.

This is just my opinion and would be interested to hear other colleagues views how have more experience than me.

The Referee Store
I’m also based in Scotland and some Referee Associations offer a practical session after passing the LOTG exam. Mine certainly did.

What you’ll find is that most of your learning will happen once you get out on the pitch. You will learn on the hop but I’d hope you will also be observed by more experienced colleagues who can provide feedback on the practical elements of refereeing. This is where I feel the RAs could do so much better. The drop off rate after a referees first game is huge and I’m convinced it is related to the lack of support particularly for young referees. We need to find a way of ensuring referees get the support they need to stick in.

Enjoy the ride and drop me a message if you have any questions.

The information on this forum has been invaluable to me also.

I am recently just qualified in October. Having read several posts on this forum and it's quite interesting to see the differences between how the Scottish FA runs a new introductory course and how our colleagues in England run the course. In Scotland we run a 8 week class based course one night a week to learn with laws of the game. With exam at the end and that you are left to start refereeing. Also an online course. There is no practical session for new referees in Scotland. I have seen videos of courses in England doing a weekend practical course. Practicing hand signals, whistling, as well as flag signals.

This is just an observation being a new referee I think my RA or Scottish FA are missing a trick here. I don't know if it's just my RA and it maybe happens in other parts of Scotland.

New referees are encouraged to attend weekly training and monthly meetings. Which I have been doing and this is fine. I think a practical session after the exam would be hugely beneficial before taking your first game.

This is just my opinion and would be interested to hear other colleagues views how have more experience than me.
The system in Scotland was dropped in England some years ago, because it sent learners into battle without ever blowing a whistle, knowing where to be at any time in the game, working with club assistants, what to do about nuisance spectators, how to get appointments, etc
All courses in England include these and other aspects, which from my experience of teaching in both the current and previous styles is a lot more effective than a series of classroom sessions.

Congratulations on passing the course.

You’ll learn more from games than a practical session during the course. Although I do agree it would be handy.

Go and watch referees from your area, attend training, attend the regional training days we have. Get the minor grades panel out to watch your games once you have some experience. This will help you greatly

I’m also based in Scotland and some Referee Associations offer a practical session after passing the LOTG exam. Mine certainly did.

What you’ll find is that most of your learning will happen once you get out on the pitch. You will learn on the hop but I’d hope you will also be observed by more experienced colleagues who can provide feedback on the practical elements of refereeing. This is where I feel the RAs could do so much better. The drop off rate after a referees first game is huge and I’m convinced it is related to the lack of support particularly for young referees. We need to find a way of ensuring referees get the support they need to stick in.

Enjoy the ride and drop me a message if you have any questions.

The information on this forum has been invaluable to me also.
Thanks. That's good to hear that your RA did a practical session. Totally get most learning is done on the pitch and I have found this so far. Absolutely agree the drop out rate is not great and maybe a some support initially to get you going. I know you can get minor grades panel to observe and give feedback. This is something I will do in the future. I attend training as much as I can and know if I have any questions more experienced guys would help.

The system in Scotland was dropped in England some years ago, because it sent learners into battle without ever blowing a whistle, knowing where to be at any time in the game, working with club assistants, what to do about nuisance spectators, how to get appointments, etc
All courses in England include these and other aspects, which from my experience of teaching in both the current and previous styles is a lot more effective than a series of classroom sessions.
Thanks from looking at it from an outsiders view it looks like the system in England looks more effective. Maybe scotland need to have a look at it.

Congratulations on passing the course.

You’ll learn more from games than a practical session during the course. Although I do agree it would be handy.

Go and watch referees from your area, attend training, attend the regional training days we have. Get the minor grades panel out to watch your games once you have some experience. This will help you greatly
Thanks. Yes, agree learning from games, which I already am. This something I have been trying to do is watching others Referees games and try and do as much as I can.

I have been attending training and monthly meetings. Also attend the regional training day on zoom in November. I am trying to do everything that we were encouraged to do.
I will definitely take use of minor grades panel in future.

Enjoying refereeing so far.

Cheers

Back