A&H

new ref when are cards appropriate?

JoeMaloney5

Level 7 Referee
hi all im a new ref and got my first game an U12s game on sunday and was just wondering when you refs suggest an age for me to start pulling out cards for tackles etc as i dunno if refs tend to not issue young kids with cards cheers

The Referee Store
Hi Joe. The important thing to remember is the laws of the game are the same at all levels/age groups.
So you need to consider if in your opinion a foul is careless, reckless or excessive force. At u12 its unlikely you'll come across much over careless but thats not to say it doesnt happen I am sure.
I think its possible to apply a degree of leniency at this level in favour of education but I am certainly not saying no cards.
At that age group its good to knock dissent and offinabus out of them early so dont ignore that, make surd you deal with it. Again, though, you'll not get much off the players at that age group.

I agree with what JamesL says.A common sense approach is needed. At 11 aside which is under 13s my cards come out as for adults.
U12s is 9 aside and though I have never given a card at this level there are certain offences I would for example swearing at me or an opponent. The general swearing I would clamp down on have a word for example a player misskicks and says f***. I would explain to the child it is not acceptable. By U14s I allow this. Again at 9 aside any violence hitting, kicking spitting I would red card no excuses can be used in a defence of theses. Tackles the bad ones are lack of talent or too enthusiastic so I would educate rather than sanction but it is all dependent of what has happened.

Treat them as adults in my eyes - that way when they get to the older ages, they know whats right and whats wrong, so they don't start being brats..

Also be educational with them, if you aren't happy with something, don't just say ' Caution, reckless challenge 6, name?'. When I did youth football - explain to them why it was reckless, maybe it was a late challenge or something.

Pretty much all of the above, be sensible, if there is a deliberate handball on the line to deny a goal you will still have to send off but if for example there was an accidental trip to deny an obvious goalscoring opportunity in the penalty area I wouldn't necessarily give a yellow for that at that age group

Back