A&H

New Old Ref

SpecsSaver66

I passed my ref's exam in the early 2000s and reffed for about 12/13 years at all Youth ages between U8 to U18s then took a few years out. I then returned about 3 seasons ago but wasn't allowed to register on the local league's official ref list so stayed as a club ref with one particular club and the club who asked me to step in as they weren't getting many refs themselves and I knew a fellow ref who was a club official and knew him from back then when I did my coaching badges and qualified as a ref originally. I then took the ref's assessment for the princely sum of £150 ( not the kind of money I am possession of usually,but I managed to find it with a little help)as I felt I wanted more games and basically do it for some pocket money. I was on the assessment last week where everybody bar me and an extremely overweight and older gentleman who looked around my age or slightly older,I am 56 now,was under 18 and one lad was actually 14. I was even a good bit older than the assessors too.Anyway,as I originally qualified as a ref through doing the exam as part of my coaching badges I thought there was another exam to sit but was surprised when I was told it was merely an assessment over about a 7 or 8 hour day. I didn't find much of it too difficult although sprinting against lads a third of your age makes you feel even older. Just to digress slightly I was a bit disappointed to find that all the candidates were male and white with almost no diversity at all. That is a bit sad for the future of refereeing overall given the pro game is full of many different nationalities and skin colours,but I digress.
Do you fellow refs feel that a few hours assessment for people who have never reffed a game and were also extremely embarrassed to speak publicly or be heard above others is anywhere near enough to ref grassroots football or do you think that this is simply a result of how football has gone at grassroots and 'anybody who volunteers will do?' How did you originally become a ref and what would you recommend or do differently again?

Looking forward to your comments and thanks.

PS. I am a Level 7 and always have been and will be as I don't have any ambition to go further and never have. I do it for the pocket money but don't think for a second that this makes me not want or try to do a good job every time I referee. Overall most people are happy to re-book me so I take this as a compliment of me doing good work.
Sorry to prattle on again.

The Referee Store
I must admit I was surprised at the course when I did it at the beginning of the year. Very little assessment, no real chance of anything but "passing", and the majority of attendees were (well) under 20. Though I'm glad to report around half were female.

After the course it was a case of do 5 matches with offsides, then youre offcially "qualified". It does seem a bit like jumping into the deep end to see who really wants to keep going with it, as I suspect the first five games aren't always completed. I certainly felt like I was pretty much left to my own devices, which was daunting for me as an adult. So those younger attendees must have found it hard to find their games and manage themselves through. Maybe there is a general acceptance of a high level of turnover/drop out, so it's a case of fill the funnel with as many as possible to keep some sort of flow of new refs coming through?

I must admit I was surprised at the course when I did it at the beginning of the year. Very little assessment, no real chance of anything but "passing", and the majority of attendees were (well) under 20. Though I'm glad to report around half were female.

After the course it was a case of do 5 matches with offsides, then youre offcially "qualified". It does seem a bit like jumping into the deep end to see who really wants to keep going with it, as I suspect the first five games aren't always completed. I certainly felt like I was pretty much left to my own devices, which was daunting for me as an adult. So those younger attendees must have found it hard to find their games and manage themselves through. Maybe there is a general acceptance of a high level of turnover/drop out, so it's a case of fill the funnel with as many as possible to keep some sort of flow of new refs coming through?
Yes it does seem like a 'the wheat and the chaff will separate naturally in due course' kind of attitude.

Yeah a lot of people doing it as part of their school courses, or duke of Edinburgh etc.
My course was either coaches or kids.
I can imagine, massive turnover.
That would be really interesting statistic, how many referees reregister after their first free year. My guess would be <10% (just a guess).

Yeah a lot of people doing it as part of their school courses, or duke of Edinburgh etc.
My course was either coaches or kids.
I can imagine, massive turnover.
That would be really interesting statistic, how many referees reregister after their first free year. My guess would be <10% (just a guess).
Our Assessor poster here said that the Duke of E courses do not count any more and they still have to pay the various fees to attend,or their parents/guardians do.

The OP is presumably in England, where the system changed 3-4 years ago.
The first phase is now an online study course (5 sections) with an exam to confirm understanding of the LOTG.
Only after satisfactory completion of that can the learner proceed to the next stage.
The two-day in-person course which follows is designed to give learners practical advice about positioning, signalling, use of voice, signals, dealing with players/coaches/ spectators/ administration.
Laws knowledge is checked during tbe course, and many CFA's include informal law tests to enable learners to see whether they are up to speed.
Once both phases are completed, the learner has to complete five games, including offside (so cannot be all in Mini-soccer), then are qualified to referee.
The laws are studied in the same way as drivers learn the Highway Code, followed by practical issues being explained.
This is far better than the previous model, when everything was done in the classroom, reading the LOTG book with the tutors.

The OP is presumably in England, where the system changed 3-4 years ago.
The first phase is now an online study course (5 sections) with an exam to confirm understanding of the LOTG.
Only after satisfactory completion of that can the learner proceed to the next stage.
The two-day in-person course which follows is designed to give learners practical advice about positioning, signalling, use of voice, signals, dealing with players/coaches/ spectators/ administration.
Laws knowledge is checked during tbe course, and many CFA's include informal law tests to enable learners to see whether they are up to speed.
Once both phases are completed, the learner has to complete five games, including offside (so cannot be all in Mini-soccer), then are qualified to referee.
The laws are studied in the same way as drivers learn the Highway Code, followed by practical issues being explained.
This is far better than the previous model, when everything was done in the classroom, reading the LOTG book with the tutors.
You are not in England? I am in England,the North West.

I have explained the situation in England, as I am a Referee Developer in England, but from your earlier post did not know where you are based.
Sorry,I thought you were talking to me. I assume the OldNavyRef poster must be based elsewhere or attended the course over 4 years ago before the change if in England.

Sorry,I thought you were talking to me. I assume the OldNavyRef poster must be based elsewhere or attended the course over 4 years ago before the change if in England.
I was replying to you, as you seemed surprised by the course content, which is explained at the point of expressing interest in taking the online first section.

I was replying to you, as you seemed surprised by the course content, which is explained at the point of expressing interest in taking the online first section.
I never imagined the online 'exam' was the real one. I wasn't really happy to have to re-take the course though. The cost and the fact I'd already reffed hundreds of games was a bit of a slight to me. That said,I am not getting enough games being a club ref to make it worth my while so I had to do it to have access to official appointments in my current league and any others I choose. Probably a Girl's league,which I mentioned in another thread.

The allowed maximum two-year gap in continuity of referee registrations was introduced many years ago to ensure that returning referees would be up to date with the laws of the game.
That was back in the day, when the course was free; the current course fee includes the online training and exam, the two-day course, first season registration, and in most counties a set of flags, a whistle, notebook with cards, etc.
Some referees in recent years have continued to register while not available, as a cheaper alternative to taking the course.

I can confirm when I sat my course last year I was the eldest by 31 years (48 at the time) and it was impossible not to pass (two lads were sat on their arse whilst ARing in the practical at the end. One of the course instructors said to me at the end that, on average, no more than 10% of the 24 attendees would still be refereeing in a year.

Was very impressed with the course and confirm what @ChasObserverRefDeveloper said and I received flags, whistle (though I use a different one), notebook and cards, as well as a special coin that lasted about 5 games before I lost it!

It does seem you're left to your own devices from that point though I have to say I'm impressed with Wilts FA who made clear that if you asked for a mentor/coaching observation you'd get one . They do loads of CPD, proactively correspond and are very responsive to any questions you might have.

I have to take my hat off to these youngsters that do it. I know it's a good way to earn pocket money (much better than the £1 an hour for a 12 hour day without breaks as a petrol pump attendance I used to earn!) but I'd never had had the confidence to do it at their age. That confidence is the one thing most young refs lack, but it comes with time and as a coach/parent you tend to come across the same young refs and see the difference and improvement in most of them over the course of a season and particularly from year to year.

I can confirm when I sat my course last year I was the eldest by 31 years (48 at the time) and it was impossible not to pass (two lads were sat on their arse whilst ARing in the practical at the end. One of the course instructors said to me at the end that, on average, no more than 10% of the 24 attendees would still be refereeing in a year.

Was very impressed with the course and confirm what @ChasObserverRefDeveloper said and I received flags, whistle (though I use a different one), notebook and cards, as well as a special coin that lasted about 5 games before I lost it!

It does seem you're left to your own devices from that point though I have to say I'm impressed with Wilts FA who made clear that if you asked for a mentor/coaching observation you'd get one . They do loads of CPD, proactively correspond and are very responsive to any questions you might have.

I have to take my hat off to these youngsters that do it. I know it's a good way to earn pocket money (much better than the £1 an hour for a 12 hour day without breaks as a petrol pump attendance I used to earn!) but I'd never had had the confidence to do it at their age. That confidence is the one thing most young refs lack, but it comes with time and as a coach/parent you tend to come across the same young refs and see the difference and improvement in most of them over the course of a season and particularly from year to year.
During the course, or at the end of it, the County FA should instruct learners who the local Appointments Secretaries are and arrange contact from the Appointments Secretaries to the learners.
In my area (Hampshire) we ask learners to complete an Availability Form, which gives the Appointments Secretaries all the info they need (Other CFA's are available! 😁)

During the course, or at the end of it, the County FA should instruct learners who the local Appointments Secretaries are and arrange contact from the Appointments Secretaries to the learners.
In my area (Hampshire) we ask learners to complete an Availability Form, which gives the Appointments Secretaries all the info they need (Other CFA's are available! 😁)
Yep, that's exactly what they did. Have to be honest but Hants FA weren't exactly helpful - gave up trying to find a ref course with them (as did several others around my way who went to Wilts FA for their course even though it's much further) and never got any Appt Sec info off them despite several emails (though they now publish this on their website and it may always have been there). May have just got unlucky with the courses/emails.

I was told that mentors just as likely wont be referees but could be coaches or people who havent taken the ref's exam? This doesnt bother me personally but I'd wonder how somebody not qualified is supposed to mentor a young referee of 15/16/17 for example.

Yep, that's exactly what they did. Have to be honest but Hants FA weren't exactly helpful - gave up trying to find a ref course with them (as did several others around my way who went to Wilts FA for their course even though it's much further) and never got any Appt Sec info off them despite several emails (though they now publish this on their website and it may always have been there). May have just got unlucky with the courses/emails.
The info has been on the website for around 15 years . . .

I was told that mentors just as likely wont be referees but could be coaches or people who havent taken the ref's exam? This doesnt bother me personally but I'd wonder how somebody not qualified is supposed to mentor a young referee of 15/16/17 for example.
As so few referees are willing to mentor new colleagues, some counties are inviting regular attendees (e. g. parents) to meet and greet the newer referees and offer words of support and possibly guidance at half time and after the game.
If 50% of the referees on this forum were to offer one half day a month as mentors, the parents would not be needed🤔
As far as non-qualified advisers are concerned, consider how many grassroots officials on here and other forums are happy to explain to Premier League and international colleagues where they are going wrong.

As so few referees are willing to mentor new colleagues, some counties are inviting regular attendees (e. g. parents) to meet and greet the newer referees and offer words of support and possibly guidance at half time and after the game.
If 50% of the referees on this forum were to offer one half day a month as mentors, the parents would not be needed🤔
As far as non-qualified advisers are concerned, consider how many grassroots officials on here and other forums are happy to explain to Premier League and international colleagues where they are going wrong.
I'm not sure your point about professional refs being criticised by the general public has to do with the lack of mentors but I accept that the mentors are there just for support and help to young refs and could be anybody with an interest in football. As for the mentors,maybe people are busy and cant give up their time due to either refereeing or family commitments? I certainly cant afford to just take an unpaid drive in my car for free without expenses with the cost of living being so high and having to stick to a strict budget.

I'm not sure your point about professional refs being criticised by the general public has to do with the lack of mentors but I accept that the mentors are there just for support and help to young refs and could be anybody with an interest in football. As for the mentors,maybe people are busy and cant give up their time due to either refereeing or family commitments? I certainly cant afford to just take an unpaid drive in my car for free without expenses with the cost of living being so high and having to stick to a strict budget.
The point about the top referees is that they are panned on some referee forums by colleagues who have no experience of the pressures involved. That was in response to your assertion about non-qualified mentors.
Your point about commitment to mentoring is understood - that's why I would love to think that 50% of readers could support new referees just once a month.
I am lucky in that I have three football venues within a mile walk.
For those who need to drive, several counties offer a modest fee to mentors.

Back