A&H

New Directives

Tom_R

Level 5 Referee
Should we be implementing the new directives from PGMOL and The FA in the grassroots game this season e.g added time tougher delaying restart cautions and cautions for asking for a card? I’ve only seen the Fa email for steps 2-6 but nothing for grassroots.

The Referee Store
I think the expectation is that it's dealt with at the top so that it filters down.

With respect to time wasting I would encourage you to deal with it properly..

For added time this is as much a new directive as a law change as the laws now say that goal celebrations need to be accounted for so naturally where there are goals there will be an increase to added time.

However, you also need to bear in mind environmental conditions... Through much of winter and late night games it is already turning dark so you need to be mindful that excessive time added on at grassroots might prevent you from actually completing the game so be sensible.

The EFL / PGMOL directives are for those levels, the 2-6 are for those levels and in the absence of anything for grassroots that means no change except what has changed in law.

I think the expectation is that it's dealt with at the top so that it filters down.

With respect to time wasting I would encourage you to deal with it properly..

For added time this is as much a new directive as a law change as the laws now say that goal celebrations need to be accounted for so naturally where there are goals there will be an increase to added time.

However, you also need to bear in mind environmental conditions... Through much of winter and late night games it is already turning dark so you need to be mindful that excessive time added on at grassroots might prevent you from actually completing the game so be sensible.

The EFL / PGMOL directives are for those levels, the 2-6 are for those levels and in the absence of anything for grassroots that means no change except what has changed in law.
I've only refereed 2 games so far this season but already I'm noticing an expectation (from the players) regarding the adding on of time taken for anything!!

Practically every goal goal kick/throw-in/free kick in the second half was preceded by shouts of "You adding this on ref?" "Are we on the clock Ref?" Only from the team that was losing though - funny old thing ... :rolleyes:

Like you say, it has to be done sensibly but I'm sensing an expectation out there for each match to have at least an extra couple of mins or so stuck on to the end (in addition to the usual subs/injuries added time) because of lingering at restarts, goal celebrations etc.

Not saying if I have or haven't done it mind ... ;)

As regards the other stuff, in the one other game I did, (Western League Line) the referee made a point of rather thoroughly briefing both coaches before the game of the new "bar" to be adopted this season and again, alluded to it briefly with the captains during the coin toss. Based on how the game went, my gut feeling is that he made something of a rod for his own back by making a big issue of it before the match even started.

I've only refereed 2 games so far this season but already I'm noticing an expectation (from the players) regarding the adding on of time taken for anything!!

Practically every goal goal kick/throw-in/free kick in the second half was preceded by shouts of "You adding this on ref?" "Are we on the clock Ref?" Only from the team that was losing though - funny old thing ... :rolleyes:

Like you say, it has to be done sensibly but I'm sensing an expectation out there for each match to have at least an extra couple of mins or so stuck on to the end (in addition to the usual subs/injuries added time) because of lingering at restarts, goal celebrations etc.

Not saying if I have or haven't done it mind ... ;)

As regards the other stuff, in the one other game I did, (Western League Line) the referee made a point of rather thoroughly briefing both coaches before the game of the new "bar" to be adopted this season and again, alluded to it briefly with the captains during the coin toss. Based on how the game went, my gut feeling is that he made something of a rod for his own back by making a big issue of it before the match even started.
Yes, probably did make a rod. But have to otherwise it comes as a surprise which is just as bad.
But I did the same, and I think I followed through with it tough ( Three delay restarts, 2 dissents). I did get a bit of questioning on added time at end of 2nd half as they wanted more (team losing by 1 goal against 10men so chalked it down to that).

Also worth pointing out the "minimum 30s on the sideline after an injury" requirement, which is a PL/EFL requirement ONLY - while the rest of the stuff is somewhat discretionary, this extended wait is something we shouldn't be doing at lower levels.

Also worth pointing out the "minimum 30s on the sideline after an injury" requirement, which is a PL/EFL requirement ONLY - while the rest of the stuff is somewhat discretionary, this extended wait is something we shouldn't be doing at lower levels.
Also at Step 1 from my weekend experience.

I was pleasantly surprised at how it influenced player behaviour in turning down unnecessary intervention of physios.

However, I can also see a downside looming - players who need appraisal / treatment refusing it to not let their mates down.

Back