A&H

Nearing the end of 14/15

The Referee Store
Well back on topic... thought season was calming down, then been given first 2 cup finals! :) 1 line and 1 middle... despite them completely b*ggering my plans... i can't wait! :D

First full season and think its gone well, 87 matches so far and I've just been allocated to another three next week so I'll hit 90.
Thoroughly enjoyed the move to Adult football and have started promotion, 2 assessments so far which have been Above the required standard so fingers crossed for the final one.
Had three finals in the last week, 2 on Sunday and then I was on the line for the Premier Cup Final for the adult league so all in all not too bad.

Need to try and get rid of the troublesome Achilles I've had for the last three months over the Summer but role on August for the start of friendlies

This was my third full season, and has been the one where I have developed the most. I went from L6 to 5, which has been a real eye opener already due to the jump in the level of matches you are given (if you choose the correct league of course). It's been tough and I can understand why many refs stop at L5 and don't want to go on because the demands I am getting for my L4 promotion next season are already mounting up.

Have I enjoyed it? Yes.
Am I concerned about next season? A little. I have to go through between 3 and 5 assessments next season and I know my abilities will be tested even more. Having experienced Step 7 middles now I know it is going to be difficult.

My biggest concern, however, is my Achilles. I am very fit and can keep up with any match for 90 minutes, but I've been carrying an Achilles injury for a year now and it's starting to impact my mobility. I have some physio coming up which I hope will help, but the soreness every morning, during every warm-up and after every game is starting to get to me.

I will have a few months off and come back fully motivated, and I'll be on a new league next season (as is required for L4 candidates), so that should be interesting.

@Monotone Whistle I've had achilles tendonitis on both achilles since packing in playing 18 months ago (i was a goalkeeper, so bit of a shock to the system all this running!!) It's seriously hindered my fitness and extra training mid week to try and get fit, as i'd do my game Saturday and be nearly crippled all week until the next game on Saturday.
Luckily enough i have private medical insurance through work, so used that last summer and had 3 sessions of ESWT (Extracorporial Shock Wave Therapy). Bloody painful treatment, now i still have problems with them, but i would say 70% less pain though, i can do a saturday, Sunday and mid week game now, although it's a bit sore come the mid week game, but it's some sort of progress.

Good luck with it mate

Thanks, it's buggered me up a lot as I used to run 20-odd miles a week and I've had to cut down. Achilles tendonitis was mentioned by the doc, i'll see what the physio says as sometimes this can be solved through calf stretching and rest. I do have PMI as well, so further treatment is an option.

This has been the biggest hindrance to my season, just because of the stiffness before and after the match.

I've really enjoyed this season I have to say, my first.

A number of positives for me - doing something I've wanted to do for a long time, been nominated for the county referee academy and done a couple of finals which was fantastic in my first (and even then only half) season.

Really pleased I'm making my face fit within the powers that be too - I'm lucky in the respect the chairman of my RA is quite a big cheese within the county and took my course too, so he's helped me get on.

From a developmental point of view I drastically need to improve my fitness over the close season which is my number one goal. I also need to get a bit more consistency within my performances, still having the odd (avoidable) bad game, although getting better in the last few months.

Target for next season is to be accepted into the academy, do 30 - 40 games consistently and continue to push myself forwards.

Highs: Giving up Sunday mens football. Best decision ever. I'm actually fitter for it. Womens FA Cup 5th round - Coventry v Charlton :D

Lows: More a gripe really. Cup finals, bridesmaid again. I keep telling myself maybe next time, but 17 years into a refereeing career I'm running out of 'next times'. There's a touch of Chris Jericho about my refereeing career, so I'm hoping for my own No Mercy! moment. Someone hand me a chair...

Back