A&H

my wife's birthday... plenty of cards

richard ramjane

RefChat Addict
yellows v greens, greens arrive late so ive had plenty of time for some pre match banter with the home side... and in passing yellow right back informs me hes a referee. During the first half someone calls 'leave it' followed by the usual cry of '' you cant say that ref!'' i'm about to explain that he can but the right back gets in before me, so i think to myself, nice one... i seem to have someone on my side here. First half passes with nothing to report other than 2-1 to the home team.
second half, yellows score twice more and then an offisde is given against them on a counter attack... and for some reason my trusty right back friend starts having a go at the CAR, and i can tell where he's going with it and i warn him mid sentence.... ''dont say it, dont call him a cheat'' and he carries on saying '' but ref, every week we get cheated, every week '' . his team mates tell him to shut up and he does for the time being.
5 minutes later and ive awarded a penalty against yellows, and off he goes again... ''this is a joke, your unreal ".. etc... so i'm calling him over for a caution, he's turning his back on me, trying to walk away, and i had to remind him that as a ref he must surely be familiar with the caution procedure so please follow it.
5 minutes later i'm cautioning yellow striker for kicking the ball away, and right back chirps up again... second caution.
He's then stomping around shouting.. ''i'm not f--king paying it "
anyways , he's gone... another yellow caution follows for USB, and then green pipes up calling the player ive just cautioned a faggot... ive asked his name and he says he hasnt got one. So he's gone for OFFINABUS and then to top it off 2 mins before full time we have green fouling yellow, yellow turns and throws his shoulder into the shorter green players face, who responds with a jumping headbutt.... they're both gone too...
both managers apologise to me after the game for their players behaviour... but the most surprising bit for me was that it was 2 church teams !

The Referee Store
Sounds like fun. Which area of essex did this game take place, as I am a suffolk ref and sometimes cross over the border as the youth leagues I do sometimes includes essex teams

And yes it was fun in a weird way ... The non offenders were reasonably happy to have a bit of banter about what was unfolding before them

I would put money on him not being a real referee. So many people, Neil Warnock included, think that passing a laws of the game exam as part of a coaching course makes you a qualified and registered referee.

.. although if he is a qualified and registered referee he'll be having a few weeks off ..!!

He is ... I took the time out to check. He is in fact Reffing at the very same ground this Saturday I'm resisting the urge to go and see how he conducts himself !

So will county take a dim view of his red card ? Especially as it was 2x dissent ?

I would put money on him not being a real referee. So many people, Neil Warnock included, think that passing a laws of the game exam as part of a coaching course makes you a qualified and registered referee.

.. although if he is a qualified and registered referee he'll be having a few weeks off ..!!

Love it when such idiots turn up, they think it gets them a 'get out of Jail Card', well, as in your case Richard, it gets you an early bath!!
One I remember was a defender and he did the Tony Adams routine of running out shouting 'they are all off!! problem was the one who went for the ball clearly wasn't!! Goal and a lot of finger pointing ensued!! Guess what... GOAL!!!!

He is ... I took the time out to check. He is in fact Reffing at the very same ground this Saturday I'm resisting the urge to go and see how he conducts himself !

So will county take a dim view of his red card ? Especially as it was 2x dissent ?

Yep, many counties take the approach that if a referee is suspended from playing he will also be suspended from officiating. Lucky for his it was two cautions and not a straight red.

Yep, many counties take the approach that if a referee is suspended from playing he will also be suspended from officiating. Lucky for his it was two cautions and not a straight red.
Had a L4 get sent off around these parts (VC I believe) and he had to explain it to The FA :(

I was actually considering a thread about the old "leave it". I'll not bother now haha. I have a bit of banter with the refs at my local 6 a side. one did a line for me this year in county cup and when he opened his door he was disbelieving that i was in fact telling the truth about being a ref, says he get people saying it all the time.

It's amazing how many players/coaches/parents out there claim to be referees :D

yes, thats true, this time its confirmed, but the worrying thing is that he really should know better...
should have spoken to me if he had concerns over the CAR's decisions
should have stopped talking and listened to me when i asked
should have followed the protocol during his first caution
should have not offered his opinion during his team mates caution, loudly from across the FOP
and certainly shouldnt be saying that he's appealing the double caution send off, as i have since found out

actually to be fair i had a very nice couple of emails this morning containing apologies from the home team manager, their captain, the minister from the church they represent and from the league secretary. on the day the away team captain walked with me to my car and offered his apologies too.

Of the many people who have claimed to be referees, I think I've had 2 people (one club assistant and one manager) claim it and I believed them. The assistant was quiet and didn't get overly involved, but you could tell that he moved in the way an experienced referee would. And the manager gave me some very smart (and politely delivered) feedback that I don't think could have come from someone that didn't have experience of referee positioning.

Contrast that to probably around 20+ others who have claimed that and then either forgot they were referees in the heat of the action, or were simply lying in the first place. Don't know what they think it will achieve if they claim to be a referee and then go on to be an a***hole!

I had one of them explain to me that if a ball hits the hand accidentally and the said player gains an advantage from where it falls then I have to blow for the handball.....REALLY!!! :rolleyes:

Last season I did a game on a senior women's league where clubs are not allowed to use subs as CARs, so some get parents or other halves to do it, some get local referees in to do it. On this one game the CAR introduced himself to me as Mr Assistant Referee, level 3 referee. Now, I've been level 4 and 3 in that region for long enough to know every level 3, if I haven't met them personally I've certainly seen their name somewhere and this guy's name didn't have any bells ringing.

Sure enough the first time the ball got played forward the offside flag went up before any attacking player had even started to move towards it, and my suspicions were confirmed. A L3 referee assists on the National League, FL or PL, and would just not be doing that, and he continued throughout with me repeatedly having to wave him down. Bizarrely after the game though he knew what competitions a L3 would be refereeing and assisting on, so can only assume he was some kind of fantasist.

Last season I did a game on a senior women's league where clubs are not allowed to use subs as CARs, so some get parents or other halves to do it, some get local referees in to do it. On this one game the CAR introduced himself to me as Mr Assistant Referee, level 3 referee. Now, I've been level 4 and 3 in that region for long enough to know every level 3, if I haven't met them personally I've certainly seen their name somewhere and this guy's name didn't have any bells ringing.

Sure enough the first time the ball got played forward the offside flag went up before any attacking player had even started to move towards it, and my suspicions were confirmed. A L3 referee assists on the National League, FL or PL, and would just not be doing that, and he continued throughout with me repeatedly having to wave him down. Bizarrely after the game though he knew what competitions a L3 would be refereeing and assisting on, so can only assume he was some kind of fantasist.
Why was he flagging for offsides? Does he not just give ball in/out over the line decisions? I wouldn't dare ask a club CAR to give offsides as most of them haven't the foggiest and worked with a few professional ones who were in a similar situation!

Why was he flagging for offsides? Does he not just give ball in/out over the line decisions? I wouldn't dare ask a club CAR to give offsides as most of them haven't the foggiest and worked with a few professional ones who were in a similar situation!
This is a discussion that's been had many times on this forum and tends to go round in circles - suffice to say that there's regional variation in what's considered normal and there are quite a few places where CAR's flagging offsides is considered better than leaving it up to the referee to make a decision from a poor position.

This is a discussion that's been had many times on this forum and tends to go round in circles - suffice to say that there's regional variation in what's considered normal and there are quite a few places where CAR's flagging offsides is considered better than leaving it up to the referee to make a decision from a poor position.
Ok, personally would have thought it may cause more problems than solutions but each to their own.

It's the norm here, especially where the league requires each club to provide someone who is qualified - that means either a registered referee or someone who has passed the FA's club assistant referee course.

Back