A&H

My first three games as a level 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike mcgill

level 4 & cfa assesor
Level 4 Referee
Well I have my first 3 matches a level 4 Saturday blidworth v belper central midlands south(middle)
16 Aug. aylstone park v Gedling east midland counties (middle)
and a big one for me , jnr line on northern counties east armthorpe v Retford local derby level 3 in the middle
looking forward to all of them a great deal of traveling south Leicester to south Yorkshire and east midlands in there too :cool: can not wait now itch feet

Reactions: SM
The Referee Store
Lol

Yes, it's a work in process. Applied for promotion, fitness test is in September. You fail, no more assessments until next year.

Should be fine. It's on a Sunday, so thinking carefully about whether to close the Saturday before the test so I am fresh. Or asking for a lower division game where I can get away with not putting in 100%....

Lol

Yes, it's a work in process. Applied for promotion, fitness test is in September. You fail, no more assessments until next year.

Should be fine. It's on a Sunday, so thinking carefully about whether to close the Saturday before the test so I am fresh. Or asking for a lower division game where I can get away with not putting in 100%....

That is such a disrespectful attitude!

Those teams deserve a referee who is prepared to put in 100% to the game, not just try and coast through it because they have fitness test the next day.

This is becoming an increasingly prevalent attitude amongst younger "up and coming" referees who feel that lower division games are beneath their abilities or don't deserve the same level of respect and commitment as higher division games....or both!

Every game you referee deserves the same level of respect and commitment, those players deserve your best performance. Regardless of their standard.

But maybe that game doesn't need 100% of his fitness because of the level, not he doesn't want to put 100% in, he just doesn't need to, if that makes sense?

When I suggested that refereeing a yoof game on the morning of my first promotion assessment in the afternoon was not perhaps the best idea I'd ever had, with hindsight, my promotion person suggested that if I couldn't comfortably referee two games in one day, then perhaps my fitness wasn't all that it should be.

:eek:

Lol @ padfoot. I knew that comment was a proverbial jammy spoon to a bitey wasp!

You can only referee what is in front of you, and lower league games are slower and less referee work rate intensive. You're correct about it being disrespectful to do a half assed job, but you certainly didn't waste any time on climbing up on your soapbox. :D

And "younger up and coming referee" is not a description i get much at my age mate. :D

To clarify, the problem with a game before your assessment is the risk of pulling something. One fitness test per year, no excuses if you don't pass, you wait a whole year to try again and no promotion that season. For the sake of one game missed, it is an interesting question.

And "younger up and coming referee" is not a description i get much at my age mate. :D as described by padfoot
supermonkey "younger up and coming referee " well your younger than me lol
you go for it old man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can't give a game 100%, don't do it. Close the date.

And "younger up and coming referee" is not a description i get much at my age mate. :D

Fair enough, but it is an attitude that is commonly displayed amongst that group of referees.

It just smacks of people believing they are the most important person on the pitch.......forgetting that there are 22 other equally important people sharing that pitch with you.....and normally paying a fair sum of money for the privilege.

Have no problem with people not wanting to do lower league fixtures, but don't accept them, then turn up moaning about why you have been appointed to such a menial game and proceed to give it a perfunctory performance. Either turn them down, make it known to your ref's sec that you are far too good to be considered for those sort of games and leave them for those of us that are capable of putting our ego's on hold to go out and enjoy what we do!
Not actually directed at you, SM, but a general rant about self inflated referees!

padfoot my dear boy I myself have never turned down a game not given my all in any game and do all of my matches to my utmost ability over 15 years that have brought me to were I am now.
so that is my general rant
and I haven't forgot my roots and always go back and help all clubs when they have no ref a ref that wont do them (reputation ) I will referee them without fear or favour my refs secretary will vouch for this
again just a rant on my part

If you can't give a game 100%, don't do it. Close the date.

Fair enough, but it is an attitude that is commonly displayed amongst that group of referees.

It just smacks of people believing they are the most important person on the pitch.......forgetting that there are 22 other equally important people sharing that pitch with you.....and normally paying a fair sum of money for the privilege.

Have no problem with people not wanting to do lower league fixtures, but don't accept them, then turn up moaning about why you have been appointed to such a menial game and proceed to give it a perfunctory performance. Either turn them down, make it known to your ref's sec that you are far too good to be considered for those sort of games and leave them for those of us that are capable of putting our ego's on hold to go out and enjoy what we do!
Not actually directed at you, SM, but a general rant about self inflated referees!

On the contrary padfoot, some "younger up and coming referees" like the challenging games to try and enhance their refereeing ability and to gain as much experience possible at their highest level. I would be classed as one of these so called "younger up and coming refs", I try to find myself the best and most challenging matches to do, don't get me wrong I have done my fair share of U9 matches but by doing them on a regular basis there is no way for me to advance in my refereeing career. I also don't enjoy them as much as the U15 Division 1 local derbys that really put everything I know to the test.

It also is not just the young refs who don't put 100% into each match, I have found that most younger refs put more effort in than the older ones, and I certainly know from experience that you get plenty of miserable old farts who turn up looking as though they are being forced to be there that don't leave the centre circle and quite frankly ruin the game for all involved. This has been the same in top and bottom division matches and begs the question, why do they keep refing?

dare I say hull ref for the money f so for me GET OUT
personally I see young referees as motivation because the are hungry and want what I have and I aint prepared to give it up so I try harder and harder to be better stronger faster
who do I think I am the six million dollar man lol

On the contrary padfoot, some "younger up and coming referees" like the challenging games to try and enhance their refereeing ability and to gain as much experience possible at their highest level. I would be classed as one of these so called "younger up and coming refs", I try to find myself the best and most challenging matches to do, don't get me wrong I have done my fair share of U9 matches but by doing them on a regular basis there is no way for me to advance in my refereeing career. I also don't enjoy them as much as the U15 Division 1 local derbys that really put everything I know to the test.

It also is not just the young refs who don't put 100% into each match, I have found that most younger refs put more effort in than the older ones, and I certainly know from experience that you get plenty of miserable old farts who turn up looking as though they are being forced to be there that don't leave the centre circle and quite frankly ruin the game for all involved. This has been the same in top and bottom division matches and begs the question, why do they keep refing?

You're talking about youth football....i'm talking about open age.

There is little difference betweeen u11's, u13's until you get to u16's or 18's. U18's is normally a good workout, even if they are not the greatest technical sides, they just run for ever.....!

Sadly i can't say that i have shared your experiences of younger refs. The vast majority that i have witnessed reffing my sons games are obviously there because it is more money than a paper round! They often turn up 5 minutes before KO, scruffily turned out, and have the interest and ability of a wet fish. Even more sadly, there are a a couple of "more mature" referees who are every bit as bad!

Thankfully, there are some very good young referees out there....but they represent probably only 5% of the u18 referees at best in our county.

dare I say hull ref for the money f so for me GET OUT
personally I see young referees as motivation because the are hungry and want what I have and I aint prepared to give it up so I try harder and harder to be better stronger faster
who do I think I am the six million dollar man lol
I think I understand that but the first line puzzles me a bit? :p

Not sure I like the 'young refs are nearly always arrogant' argument. I don't think that is is fair labelling 95% of us into this category...

Not sure I like the 'young refs are nearly always arrogant' argument. I don't think that is is fair labelling 95% of us into this category...
I am 52 I think I am still young so that means .................... no surely not but I do know a few arrogant young referees and the same could be said about us old farts lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back