A&H

My First Game! U13 Bore Draw

TomH98

Level 7 Referee
After completing the basic course last week (run by the excellent @ChasObserverRefDeveloper ) I finally had my first game this weekend after a couple of false starts due to weather.

U13s game in a decent standard league, 2 mid table teams. On the whole I was happy with it, wasn't helped by the appointments sec giving me the wrong ground meaning I turned up 5 mins before KO and out of breath but got myself together for the start.

The match finished 0-0 without major incident, coaches were full of praise at the end. A couple of penalty shouts but in each case I felt comfortable turning them down and was in a good position to do so. Started to get a little heated in the second half but I managed to marshal it through and a couple of quiet words avoided me needing to take any disciplinary action.

There were just a couple of things that happened during the game which were challenging:

- Firstly, red team striker, who I will simply call "Red 23", was clearly a little feisty throughout the game and I could see he had something of an attitude problem. When he wasn't moaning at his own players he was throwing himself to the floor in an attempt to win a free kick and looking exasperated as to why I wasn't pandering to his efforts. If he lost the ball he would frequently make an exaggerated effort to charge back straight into play and I could see there was a risk he was going to do something silly. I gave him a warning but at halftime one of the CARs came over and told me a player had said he had scratched him on the back (although assumed not deliberate). In the second half yellow team were frequently shouting to me off the ball things like "he just pushed me" and "he kicked me in the shin after I won the ball". Simply put I hadn't seen any of this because I was watching the play however I made it clear via a public rebuke that if I did see any of that I would be dealing with it appropriately. Luckily for me after this the red team started to get on top and so I think he calmed down a little because he was getting more of the ball and more chances.

- Secondly, and related, by the second half I was making an effort to "linger" on Red 23 whenever he was around the ball even after it had been played on. Unfortunately this came back to bite me because after a yellow player being challenged by 23 played what look like an innocuous pass into midfield I turn my head a little delayed to see the player lying on the ground clutching his head. I blew my whistle straight away to check he was alright (which he was) but I still have genuinely no idea what happened and how he ended up getting a boot to the head (I assume). Luckily the red team began retreating for a free kick and so it was easy to sell that however it just caught me out that one of the very few moments I didn't have my eyes directly looking at play all of a sudden I've missed what could have been an important decision.

Any advice on how to manage these situations appreciated. Still need to find the nack whereby I can keep my eye on problem players but also make sure to not miss anything important. I did think about cautioning Red 23 but was struggling to find a reason, the tackles which were fouls were only careless and there weren't enough in my book to warrant persistent infringement. Thought about aggressive attitude but then I was essentially relying on hearsay. Maybe I should have put him in the book for simulation but the 1 that could have justified it was a penalty shout and in terms of game management I didn't feel picking that hill to die on was the best approach, best to go with "I didn't see a foul" then "you tried to cheat" to avoid adding any controversy to what was essentially an uncontested decision.

Looking forward to the next one, hopefully this coming Sunday with a slightly older age group as I work my way up to OA football.

The Referee Store
Congrats and welcome. The whole concept of 'trailing eye' is a simple one, but quite challenging to master as it relies on your position on the FOP and your overall body position to be able to allow the eye to linger on any potential afters, plus then being able to transition to the next phase of play.

The trick with the trailing eye isn't just to trail, but also to "snap" what you're looking at to the next point of contention. It's one of the harder refereeing skills to master, but it still sounds like you're off to a good start!

I think with potential 'problem' players its important to get a warning in early. Sounds like you identified this chap pretty early from his actions towards others and not just you, a quiet "Calm down a bit number 23" as you pass can work wonders, especially at this age group.

Great first post. You can only whistle/card what you see. You will get into all sorts if you try to guess. As a beginner, honesty with players is good policy: sorry guys, I’m working hard for you here, I just didn’t see it, get promoted and we’ll meet again in the Isthmian, I’ll have assistants and we can have a drink in your bar after;)

Great first post. You can only whistle/card what you see. You will get into all sorts if you try to guess. As a beginner, honesty with players is good policy: sorry guys, I’m working hard for you here, I just didn’t see it, get promoted and we’ll meet again in the Isthmian, I’ll have assistants and we can have a drink in your bar after;)
"If we were any good, neither of us would be here today"

Cheers everyone! Think I'm doing an Academy game on Friday so that should be an interesting challenge following on from last week. Then I've booked in an U15 line for Saturday to go easy on the legs, try out being AR and get the chance to see another referees approach. Just trying to get a good solid base of experience before the season ends at different levels. 13 year olds are easy enough to manage so time to grit my teeth with some gobby older teenagers.

See how it goes!

Cheers everyone! Think I'm doing an Academy game on Friday so that should be an interesting challenge following on from last week. Then I've booked in an U15 line for Saturday to go easy on the legs, try out being AR and get the chance to see another referees approach. Just trying to get a good solid base of experience before the season ends at different levels. 13 year olds are easy enough to manage so time to grit my teeth with some gobby older teenagers.

See how it goes!
. . . and onward to the Aldershot & District League next season👍

Well thought I would come back and give a summary of my academy game today. Excitingly took place at a big professional stadium which was a treat, but wow did it feel like getting thrown in at the deep end.

10 mins in Yellow in possession on edge of the area, player comes in from other side of the box. The way I saw it even though he wins the ball it's with such speed and distance that it's careless, especially when there's about 3 Red players closer to the ball. Free kick, much to the disagreement of Red who repeatedly tell me "he got the ball" which I point out actually isn't relevant. Of course they score it making me incredibly popular with Red.

Game settles down at this point and Red are playing the better football. They score 2 to go in 2-1 up at the break but I can't lie I am finding this a challenge. It's U19s and boy it's a physical game; tackles are flying in, everyone's moaning about absolutely everything but I'm just about holding it together.

Half time and while we're off I think to myself I need to make a conscious effort not to let the game get out of hand. In particular Red are becoming quite aggressive, I can see this could boil over. I start blowing for a lot more FKs. At one point as I blow for one Red player having committed the foul boots the ball all the way down the other end of the pitch. I know he's heard my whistle and I've got no time for it so I caution him for delaying the restart. My first caution and an easy one to sell. A few minutes later and down the other end another Red player having lost the ball goes through the back of the opponent. FK and I caution him, again much to the disgust of the coach. Was it a little harsh? Probably but Red were beginning to get out of hand and I wanted to make it clear I wasn't happy with that. It's now 3-1, looks like Red are going to have no issues seeing this out. Ball comes into the box and the Red keeper comes out to it. I've got a decent view and he catches it but immediately drops it again, I just don't see anyone challenging with him and to confirm my view he lands back on the ground absolutely no issues whatsoever. Despite this the keeper just stands there, out of his goal, screaming at me for a foul. While he's doing this and the whole of Red go to sleep Yellow pick the ball up and score into an empty net. The Red team are again fuming. Shamelessly, I thought to myself why didn't I just give a foul and be done with it but at the end of the day he's ran himself into a crowd of players too far from his goal, there is a yellow stood in the same area but there's also a red defender and the keeper just drops the ball.

3-2 becomes 4-2 and then 4-3 and with 10 minutes to go it is really heating up. Red CB lunges in with a nasty tackle, studs are facing down but he's come from some distance and at speed. I immediately blow and think "I've got a decision to make here". I decide on yellow rather than red just but as I'm taking his name the CB says to me "Is it Red?". I tell him it's not but I'm thinking to myself if you're asking that question then I think we all know what you fear. At least Yellow don't seem to protest that too much. A caution for a Yellow player for SPA and all of a sudden the handbags are coming out. Both teams pushing and shoving and saying some not particularly nice things at each other. I split them up but at this point it's 90th minute, it's 4-3 and it's a bunch of 18yos who think they're going to be professional footballers making controlling them very difficult. I call both captains in and tell them there's 4 minutes left and I expect nothing stupid or it'll be dealt with.

I'm expecting to have to make a big decision and in the 94th minute (4 added due to 2 injuries and subs) it comes. Throw in from yellow, headed on by 2 players in the box and then turned into the net by Red for an own goal. As the ball came in the Red player challenging for the first header goes down to the ground and screams: "Ref, push in the back!". For this one I couldn't have been in a more perfect view and there's absolutely nothing there. I very clearly said to the both teams: "Nothing silly please, no pushing or pulling" and I literally watched him hear this, look straight at me and then throw himself down at the first opportunity. His team aren't angry until he tells them he thinks he's been pushed and then there going on about the fact 3 of the teams 4 goals shouldn't have stood. That's the game, 4-4 and 1 very unhappy team.

On reflection? Well at least it's a great learning experience and it's best to be honest. I think the free kick for the first goal was probably the wrong decision. I think I was still adjusting to the difference in physicality between this and the kids game I did first up. If it was 65 mins in I don't think I would have given the same decision. The other 2 contentious goals I'm happy with, maybe an experienced ref would have just given a foul on the keeper, avoiding any potential controversy (I think as soon as a keeper goes for the ball players just expect a foul, I would have probably got away with it), but I still don't think there was anything to it. The last one I had a perfect view for and let's face it whatever I decided I would have had the other team shouting and screaming I was wrong. 4 cautions but it could have been more, I don't think I was prepared for the level of dissent and aggression and with time I will get better at handling that.

Oh and one last thing...how on earth do you write down names for cautions when it's 7 degrees, pouring down with rain and your fingers have turned to ice?!?!

Well done and welcome to the wonderful world of refereeing!

Sometimes no matter what you do, it'll be your fault, even with teams you come across regularly.

Be self critical on development areas, but don't get too high or too low when things go well or badly!

Back