A&H

Moving up...

Mattybuz

Hi.

I am posting for opinions on this thread.

First season as a ref - I have been doing mini soccer (5s and 7s) up to age 11. They don't play offside but I thoroughly enjoy working with the kids. I have great rapport with the coaches, players and the parents. I have been getting so,me great feedback and enjoy the level I'm doing.

Based on the feedback I've had, I feel comfortable reffing at the level I have been doing.

However, I am wondering at what stage (season / year wise) did people move up to the 9s and 11s where offisde is played?

If I am honest, it's calling offside on my own which I find difficult. I tried it in my second ever game (a Sunday league game which I stupidly signed up for!) and missed some. This really knocked my confidence and its something I just hate getting wrong. How do people manage offside when you're alone ? I would like to "step up" but I'd just like to prepare as best I can to make me feel less nervous about moving out my comfort zone.

one part of me is saying if I enjoy a particular level- stick with it. Another part is saying step up and give it a go. I just fear that I won't enjoy reffing as much knowing that I havent been performing well .

Apologies for the emotional post, I guess I'm just a conscientious kinda guy who just likes to do it 110% every time I'm on the pitch!

The Referee Store
Spotting offside without ARs is something you have to accept from the offset, that you’ll make errors on.

There’s probably a few different methods in doing it, mine involves trying to position myself so I can always see the defensive line, or it’s only a head turn away. Ultimately this takes time and practice, but you will get better with it.

As players do, referees make mistakes, and we have to do so to learn, so remember that!

As for when did I move up. After about 7 non-offside games I moved up to offside, however I’d also referred quite a few unofficial 7v7 games to build up confidence.

Ultimately, refereeing is something you should enjoy, not feel pressured to progress in. If you want to make the move, there is support there for you

If clubs provide assistant referees in your neck of the woods, and they are allowed to assist with offsides, that makes life easier.
It all comes with practice, rather like qualifying as a car driver doesn't make you a good driver immediately.

How do you know you missed offsides when you did the Sunday League game? You might have, most referees on their own will, but just because the players tell you that you missed offsides doesn't mean that you did. If I'm on my own I'll always say to the captains at the toss something like "bear in mind when the ball is played I might be facing the other way and by the time I've turned round the picture will have changed, so I'm not going to apologise if I miss offsides". It is pretty much impossible on your own, you can help your chances by getting out wide, but if a ball is clumped long you have absolutely no chance whatsoever.

You haven't said how old you are, but how quickly you move on is entirely down to you. Some new referees go straight into adult 11-a-side, some spend ages on youth football, some mix it up and do both. There's no right or wrong answer, it is all down to how confident you feel.

Exact same as @RustyRef for me. Football for the referee, is basically the art of being gas lighted by everyone in sight for 90 minutes.

I start pre-match by asking who will be my club assistant. If one team insists on not having one, I make it obvious from the get go, clear and obvious for me only. I will miss some. Then I tell the captains at the toss, 'offsides will be clear and obvious only, so use that to both your advantages'.

The best tip I have had so far, that has drastically changed my game. When people start telling you that you have made a mistake, just run to your next position (doesn't work if you need to count out the wall distance).

The best tip I have had so far, that has drastically changed my game. When people start telling you that you have made a mistake, just run to your next position (doesn't work if you need to count out the wall distance).
That used to be known as "give it and go". The rationale for it being that if they have to run after you to have a moan it makes the forthcoming dissent caution much more obvious and easy for everyone to understand.

I just like explaining my decisions and winning everyone over and being a 'liked' referee. Easier to do at youth level. But at the older ages, both sides will argue everything all the time, and 60% of the time, there is no point in overexplaining the decision and by doing so you are inviting dissent.

I just like explaining my decisions and winning everyone over and being a 'liked' referee. Easier to do at youth level. But at the older ages, both sides will argue everything all the time, and 60% of the time, there is no point in overexplaining the decision and by doing so you are inviting dissent.
Better to aim to be a respected referee than trying to be "liked" by both teams, which is almost impossible in Open Age football and the older teenagers' games.

Back