A&H

Mileage Allowance 25p - taking the proverbial?

Why are you expecting clubs to fund your gas guzzler?

You either have a car and referee. Or don't and rely on others limiting your refereeing career.

The Referee Store
Why are you expecting clubs to fund your gas guzzler?

Is this a serious question?
Have you ever had a job that requires you to attend different places of work?
I'll see if I can explain it to you.

Referee Bill travels 20 miles to a match and referee Ben travels 3 miles to a match and are both paid 25 gold pieces. This went on for some time.
At the end of the season referee Bill said "You come out with more gold pieces than me every week for doing the exact same thing" and quit. Now the league doesn't have enough referees!!
And that is why "mileage" was invented.

The End.

You either have a car and referee. Or don't and rely on others limiting your refereeing career.

I like this "like it or lump it" attitude.
My employer used to have the same attitude.
Problem was, everyone lumped it!!
They are now paying £100,000s to get back enough people to function whilst assets that cost £100 MILLIONS to acquire sit unused as there's noone to use them.

Unfortunately this doesn't apply in this case as there are more than enough referees to cover every match :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
And your still getting paid "mileage" on your league.

Players on your league probably dont get paid. Assessors certainly dont.

Are you refereeing for money or because you love refereeing?

If your car is costing you 20p a mile that means it is only doing 22ish to the gallon.

1. Player's don't have to control 22+ potential cheats for 90 minutes

2. I'm an assessor, I get paid £20 per assessement (no mileage, which i'm fine with)

3. I referee for the money, the 8p per mile increase I want will keep my family sustained during these cold winter months.
To make it clear, I would be happy with 33ppm! That means I'm talking about less than a pound per match difference.
IT IS NOT THE MONEY, IT IS THE PRINCIPLE!
Somewhere there is someone that is skint and he is out of pocket every week, even if it's pennies it's not the point.

4.Apologies, for my bad maths, 15p a mile on fuel for me is much more accurate. I would still have to drive 15,000 miles to run a car on the 10p I have left though. The average mileage is approx 8,000 miles.

2. I'm an assessor, I get paid £20 per assessement (no mileage, which i'm fine with)

Don't expect an increase...
Supply League Assessors on the Yorkshire Pool get the same. Contrib Assessors don't get much more so FA will not increase lower assessors fees.

Don't expect an increase...
Supply League Assessors on the Yorkshire Pool get the same. Contrib Assessors don't get much more so FA will not increase lower assessors fees.

£25 they get. And like referee's they don't do it for the money.

It is coming from clubs pockets. The average club at Supply is probably forking out on average £110 a game to match officials, plus other overheads clubs can't afford it. The number of clubs struggling is rising and some have already dropped out this early into the season.

1 club dropping from a division is 30 - odd less games in that league, that is 30 less games that require refereeing.

There has to be a balance between doing it for free and taking reasonable expenses. I say expenses because, Boots, Flags, Kit, Bags, all add up, but in the majority of cases until you get to football league (unless you are refereeing a high quantity of games which won't aid your development) I'd say the majority of us run at a loss in terms of financial rewards. But in terms of personal development, satisfaction, fun, banter, getting to meet new people, be it referee's; players and club personal it is much more rewarding.

If you just focus on money. Which I'm not saying you do @deusex you won't feel the fulfillment refereeing gives you.

£25 they get. And like referee's they don't do it for the money.

It is coming from clubs pockets. The average club at Supply is probably forking out on average £110 a game to match officials, plus other overheads clubs can't afford it. The number of clubs struggling is rising and some have already dropped out this early into the season.

Which is why the Yorkshire Pool introduced fixed fee arrangements at the start of the 2014-15 season of £40 per game for the referee. The York league clubs pay half each and the total is around £80 in total.

Which is why the Yorkshire Pool introduced fixed fee arrangements at the start of the 2014-15 season of £40 per game for the referee. The York league clubs pay half each and the total is around £80 in total.

What about the assistants? £20 fixed?

In York, £15 fee + 30p/mile
West Yorks and Humber £20 fixed.

Back