A&H

Middlesbrough v Brighton 07.05.16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right....I've seen the video now.....and I find it a bit worrying if MD had to rely on his AR to make a decision on that. Looking at the video I've just watched, he had a perfect view from less than 10 yds away.......

Also.....Stephen's foot was in contact with the ball before Ramirez's leg kicked the bottom of his boot.......If you advance the video frame by frame you will see that Stephens got there first....he didn't extend his leg deliberately to make contact or anything like that....Ramirez's attempt to play the ball brought his leg into contact with Stephens boot which had won the ball......

I'm leaning towards the challenge being reckless, but that's only after watching a video several times, frame by frame, and can understand how and why it would look dangerous in real time (very much an "orange" card), and won't criticise MD for the red card.......although I think that if he has told people (and I don't know if he has) that it was on the advice of his AR, then that is more to deflect any potential criticism about changing the card colour on seeing the injury......from the position he had....you couldn't get a much better one.....and I'm not buying the "too close" angle either.....unless he was stood on their toes......

The Referee Store
Thirdly....it might be worth nothing that I have neither agreed nor disagreed with Mike Dean's actions......precisely because I haven't seen the incident. I have merely commented that referees do send off based on consequences not actions (I am still unaware of MD making it public he received advice from his assistant on the colour of the card?) and the possible reasons that it may occur.

So, unless I am missing something obvious, what is the point of posting on something that you haven't seen?

So, unless I am missing something obvious, what is the point of posting on something that you haven't seen?

Because I was picking up on something that an earlier poster, @LC, had said about minds changing after seeing the injury......no real drama there....

Rusty by name, Rusty by nature.....or have you forgotten how discussion works?

:p

Have you met padfoot? Kind of what he lives for. :p

The speed that the player has come trough, with studs showing. Always going to be red.

I'm leaning towards the challenge being reckless, but that's only after watching a video several times, frame by frame, and can understand how and why it would look dangerous in real time (very much an "orange" card), and won't criticise MD for the red card.......although I think that if he has told people (and I don't know if he has) that it was on the advice of his AR, then that is more to deflect any potential criticism about changing the card colour on seeing the injury......from the position he had....you couldn't get a much better one.....and I'm not buying the "too close" angle either.....unless he was stood on their toes......
Correct me if I'm wrong, but was it not you who once said something along the lines of there being no such thing as an orange card, simply a red card that a ref has bottled & justified as a yellow...? As I say, feel free to correct me that it wasn't you, but it certainly was someone on here

Haha apologies...again! We never did get to the bottom of who it was that said it then! Strange

I might have commented that things sometimes get labelled as "orange" as an excuse for not dealing with nailed on dismissals......can't remember if I did or not.....but I certainly don't dismiss the notion of an incident sitting between red and yellow out of hand.

Having just seen this, Ramirez should have gone as well
Mike Dean has previous for RCing based on injury.
He did it with the Eduardo injury a few years ago. Luckily he guessed right both times

Red for me... You'd get pelters from old school players but clearly excessive in the modern game.

red all day long ...

also, isn't it about time we stopped saying 'old school players'? aren't most now pushing daises?

I effing hate having managers do the whole 'in my day ref...' ... well guess what, there's a reason in 'your day' football wasn't worth a nugget! and why players careers lasted into their early late 20's!

sorry ... just annoys me, I like to play a 'contact' game but Christ, theres contact and then there 'sorry mate ive got your shin on my boot' contact ...

He did it with the Eduardo injury a few years ago. Luckily he guessed right both times

Clearly reacted to the injury not the challenge.......Ramirez shows him the injury. the card colour changes!

I like to play a 'contact' game but Christ, theres contact and then there 'sorry mate ive got your shin on my boot' contact ...

I like it when players pipe up with "It's a contact sport ref".

"Er, no it's not"

Some contact is allowed as part of the play but contact with an opponent should never be a player's obejective. Unlike rugby, martial arts, ice hockey, american football, boxing.
THESE are contact sports

"You haven't been allowed to tackle like that since the 70s mate..."

:)

red all day long ...

also, isn't it about time we stopped saying 'old school players'? aren't most now pushing daises?

I effing hate having managers do the whole 'in my day ref...' ... well guess what, there's a reason in 'your day' football wasn't worth a nugget! and why players careers lasted into their early late 20's!

sorry ... just annoys me, I like to play a 'contact' game but Christ, theres contact and then there 'sorry mate ive got your shin on my boot' contact ...
Don't dismiss what happened in the olden days, there are just as many broken legs now as before and I would guess there are more muscular injuries due to players being slightly fitter and more like racehorses than battleships..

Players were tougher, Pele was kicked all over the pitch, but he kicked back....I'd not survive with refs like us in the modern game either. You always got a free tackle to warm things up!!!

I remember playing for an apprentice team in a 5-a side works tournament, we were crap, but I was a decent dirty striker and I played in the net first half, losing 4-0 I came out, they had to win 6-0 to progress. They kicked off and I did a Vinny Jones/Peter Reid on their best tormentor, man, ball, the lot, 360degree somersault, needless to say he had 2 weeks off work and we only lost 4-1...Old School and it was a straight red but it did the job!:rolleyes:

Why should Ramirez have gone as well?

Clearly reacted to the injury not the challenge.......Ramirez shows him the injury. the card colour changes!

Does it matter if he got the right decision in the end?

Why should Ramirez have gone as well?
It's the same charge as if the player pushes/pulls, kicks the ball at, or attempts to strike a match official. If a player does to me on Saturday what Ramirez did here, he'd be getting sent off, and first thing Monday morning he'd be put on an interim sine die suspension from all football until the case was heard, when he'd be looking at the prospect of potentially getting a 182 day ban.

Bloody hell, had to watch it another 10 times to see that!

I wouldn't be sending off for that. He's hardly about to spring up and ta- you on the back is he?

Anybody heard if the extent of the injury was more than the obvious gash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back