A&H

Mass Brawl at Junior match!!

The Referee Store
I once witnessed a mass brawl at an Under 15 cup semi-final in South Yorkshire. Adults and children, match abandoned, not replayed.

Not just a Red Rose problem.

Sadly hearing/reading more and more of these sort of stories. :mad:

Just had a quick look through our local rag, 7 stories of incidents at youth matches causing abandonments ranging from gobby parents to assault.

One incident 4 seasons ago paricularly sticks in the memory because my son was at the time in a different age group team for one of the clubs involved. U13s match, 15 year old referee, coaches began arguing over decisions made by the young referee. Arguing turning into a fight and one coach headedbutted a coach from the opposing team. Match abandoned, police called resulting in court case and a suspended prison sentence for the headbutting coach!

Fortunately not had anything as serious as that at one of my youth games, although had few where I have had to "remind" coaches of their responsibilities and just exactly why we were there! Closest I have come to abandoning was a u13s match a few years ago due to a disruptive and abusive grandfather of an away team player, who thought it was acceptable to abuse a 12 year old goalkeeper. :mad::wall: His team's manager proved worse than useless in dealing with said idiot, so dealt with the moron myself as I was determined 1 a'hole wasn't going to spoil the game for the kids. Several parents from both sides thanked and praised me for my handling of the idiot. Heard through a friend who knows the away team manager that they received a warning about future behaviour and a fine, which they felt was harsh and hard done by. Some people clearly wouldn't know respect if it jumped up and hit them in the face! :confused:

Never had one at a junior game but I've certainly being well involved in Adult fracas!!! Seen arguments etc but never a full on kiddy fan fight!!

I did an U14 final with about 100 spectators and the atmosphere was foul. The parents of both teams whipped up the kids and I issued 5 YCs, binned one spectator and had to speak to both coaches about their attitude, and create a technical area for each coach and tell them if either of them crossed the line they would be visiting the car park

I did an U14 final with about 100 spectators and the atmosphere was foul. The parents of both teams whipped up the kids and I issued 5 YCs, binned one spectator and had to speak to both coaches about their attitude, and create a technical area for each coach and tell them if either of them crossed the line they would be visiting the car park
Surely you can't bin a spectator?

Sorry poor choice of words I sent him to the carpark.
He is still right. It is not within your remit to remove a spectator. This should be reported to the home team manager who should take the appropriate action. You cant report a spectator but you can report a club for failing to control them. Hence why it is the home team managers responsibility to deal.
You can stop play until its dealt with and said soectator might get the idea but
you should not engage directly with spectators.

I remove spectators at kids games if needed. If I feel there is someone whose behaviour is not acceptable for a kids match then either through coach or if need be, myself, I will get rid. I have a zero tolerance approach to adults misbehaving at kids football, and as referee am responsible for safety and protection of the players and no way am allowing a 14 yo to be intimidated by a adult

Back