A&H

Managing injuries and assessment in the brave new world

Viridis1886

I don't care if you got the ball...
Level 5 Referee
Hi everyone

I'm interested to see how others are managing the new directive with reference to getting players off the pitch to be assessed, the 30s min delay to their return etc.

The 30s seems pretty easy, it's just getting them off the pitch in the first instance for the assessment. I had 2 back to back Women's OA matches this afternoon, and when they went down there was a genuine reason so bundling them over the sideline didn't seem appropriate. Is this where the large amounts of additional time coming from - injuries where the player cannot be moved off the pitch?

The Referee Store
Hi everyone

I'm interested to see how others are managing the new directive with reference to getting players off the pitch to be assessed, the 30s min delay to their return etc.

The 30s seems pretty easy, it's just getting them off the pitch in the first instance for the assessment. I had 2 back to back Women's OA matches this afternoon, and when they went down there was a genuine reason so bundling them over the sideline didn't seem appropriate. Is this where the large amounts of additional time coming from - injuries where the player cannot be moved off the pitch?
The protocol for player injuries hasn't changed as far as I can see.
An injured player requiring treatment is still handled the same way in as much as they have to leave the field before play restarts. The only difference is that now, they can't be waved on straight away and instead have to wait for 30 secs playing time to have elapsed first(?)
This initiative is more designed for top pro level to discourage players from trying to eat up the clock by feigning injury.

Hi everyone

I asked my coach this and the 30s rule in EFL and PL is a competition rule, not a football wide directive so you should continue to do as you've always done considering the new law change's for this season

Last edited:
I asked my coach this and the 30s rule in EFL and PL is a competition rule, not a football wife directive so you should continue to do as you've always done considering the new law cha he's for this season
I have a lot of football wife directives already, so not implementing an additional one would be great. Most of them currently relate to not being back too late and not leaving smelly kit around!

I have a lot of football wife directives already, so not implementing an additional one would be great. Most of them currently relate to not being back too late and not leaving smelly kit around!
Damn auto correct!!!
There's a link in there somewhere...

So just to clarify.. no changes at grassroots?

I can hear the coaches and players now moaning that we are not paying more stoppage time or making players go off for 30 seconds …

My assumption is that stoppage time would still be added on the normal way.

@JamesL did your coach (or your wife? 🤭) mention tolerance for dissent and delaying restart?

Back