A&H

Managing Club Assistants

regionalref

Level 5 Referee
Seeking some advice on how to manage CAR’s, mainly when it comes to offsides.

How do you approach the pre match instructions, deal with dubious offside calls, deal with complaints from attacking team?

What’s the correct process for ‘waving play on’ after I disagree with an offside decision?

Sometimes I even see the defensive side berating their own CAR, for not flagging for offside. What can I do to protect the CAR?

I’m generally able to control a match really well, but it’s often spoilt by the way offsides are handled.

Any help on the above, or ways you guys have dealt with similar situations would be appreciated.
Thanks

The Referee Store
Seeking some advice on how to manage CAR’s, mainly when it comes to offsides.

How do you approach the pre match instructions, deal with dubious offside calls, deal with complaints from attacking team?

What’s the correct process for ‘waving play on’ after I disagree with an offside decision?

Sometimes I even see the defensive side berating their own CAR, for not flagging for offside. What can I do to protect the CAR?

I’m generally able to control a match really well, but it’s often spoilt by the way offsides are handled.

Any help on the above, or ways you guys have dealt with similar situations would be appreciated.
Thanks

If I read this correctly, I believe they are only allowed to call ball out of play. that’s how it is here in the US.
In England (for the good captain) different parts of the country approach this situation differently. Some areas only allow ball in/out and others give the CARs a full range of responsibilities. In my experience, which is getting dusty now (been out of the game for 3 years) I have never let a CAR take offside but that's because that's what the Tutor's notes said to do. This has been outweighed by custom and tradition in many areas in England.

For the OP, put them on their own defence. Better to have a dodgy offside then a dodgy goal. You need to keep the CARs onside if you are going to rely on them. So give them a briefing that says sometimes you'll be in a better position to make the decision. If you are, then you're in the wrong place and expending energy when you shouldn't. It makes them feel a little better when you over rule them. Generally though, you have to trust them to get the calls right.

Protect the CAR as you would yourself. If it's dissent towards the CAR, then issue the sanction. They are a match official as soon as they take your flag. Offsides should be a straight forward process of flag, whistle, ball down and restart. If anyone (attacker) wants to protest, you shouldn't be anywhere near them to allow that to happen. Once that ball is no longer heading towards goal, you should be on your toes and re-positioning for the restart. They can't complain if you're not there.

In some CFAs, mainly it would seem to be in the South, they can indicate offsides. Briefing them in advance is key, make it clear that they must wait until the player has received he ball before they put the flag up. Tell them not to be offended if you overrule them, and try to get a good wide angle for the first few offside decisions so you can see how good they are going to be.

In some CFAs, mainly it would seem to be in the South, they can indicate offsides. Briefing them in advance is key, make it clear that they must wait until the player has received he ball before they put the flag up. Tell them not to be offended if you overrule them, and try to get a good wide angle for the first few offside decisions so you can see how good they are going to be.

I’m from the south and yes CAR’s are permitted to indicate offside. In fact, if I told them not to they would be shocked and there would be complaints.

I always keep it very simple for them and tell them not to worry about anything else apart from offside and ball out of play.

I have had challenges at some points, if there are arguments I usually say to the coaches if it continues I’ll tell them both to drop the flags and I’ll do it, I’ll deal with the dissent myself.

As mentioned above these people are helping you manage the game. So make sure you support them ass much as possible. I make it plain to both captains at the start of the game if either of my 2 assistants receive severe adverse comments during the game then action will follow. However if I have a disgruntled substitute running the line who doesn't want to be there and will not keep track of 2nd last defender please be aware I will not be taking their advice on decisions. This usually gets team management to provide someone who will know what they are doing. Lastly best way to deal with the CAR problem is to get promoted to level 4. No problem with CARs on supply league

Back