A&H

Man Utd Vs Leicester

Mooseybaby

Retired big bad baldy in all black!
Not the cleverest of challenges from McTominay, lunging in on the stretch with studs showing!

The Referee Store
TBH I thought it was an easy red in real time and on VAR. Point of contact, force, lunging out of control, no chance to play the ball, excessive force, endangering the safety.

Trafford decision.

Not worth a separate thread, and can't find clip (it was on MotD) but Weghorst's deliberate elbow into Rodri's face (Burnley v Manchester City) could have been straight red.

VAR obviously siding with the local paper. "Weghorst booked for brushing Rodri with an elbow ..." (Burnley Express)

I can't remember them all where C&O has been less than C&O, but I do remember City v Southampton where VAR said it was (from 100 metres away it looked nailed-on!), though I didn't get why the red card. The Guardian summed it up: "Walker ceded possession and had to scurry back, only to bring Armstrong down. Jonathan Moss gave a penalty and showed Walker a red card. VAR ordered him to the monitor, and the referee decided the right-back crashed into Armstrong as the latter wrapped a leg around the ball, so overturned his decisions. If Moss adjudged this a clear and obvious error, the official may wish to consult a dictionary to reacquaint himself with the terms’ definitions."

I would class this as a orange card tackle in respect I think some referees will show a yellow card and some will think it's a red. Marriner was literally a yard away so if he did get sent to the monitor and changes his decision, again like with Pawson(Everton V Newcastle), what on earth would of he missed that was a clear and obvious error? im fine he never got sent to the screen as I don't think its a clear and obvious error and he had the perfect view of it.

Had no idea of the tackle, or even the score. Made a guess that as usual, the tackle will involve a poor touch followed by a desperate lunge to get back the ball.
Broken record, and as a learning point for new refs, the second a player takes a bad touch and the ball rolls away, your thought process should automatically anticipate this kind of challenge.

thats alll this is, poor touch, must now do whatever it takes to break up play
its coached, and the player would be hammered by his coach and team mates for not doing something here. Ideally that would be a legal effort, failing that, do the next best thing.

Red card, am going to say, ' generous' from a steady referee whose mild manner commands due respect, on this occaaion he has severely underestimated the tackle and am not caring how we get there process wise but McTomiany should be dismissed

poor touch followed by a desperate lunge to get back the ball.
Broken record, and as a learning point for new refs, the second a player takes a bad touch and the ball rolls away, your thought process should automatically anticipate this kind of challenge.
👍🏻

TBH I thought it was an easy red in real time and on VAR. Point of contact, force, lunging out of control, no chance to play the ball, excessive force, endangering the safety.

Trafford decision.

Yet for me on the replay I revised it. I too had thought red in real time, but then it didn’t seem as bad as I’d thought. Happy with either to be honest, just didn’t quite reach the “red zone” for me.

Certainly not an obvious error so not overturned.

And in my defence, it didn’t even feature on Match of the day, and they’re always looking for any kind of controversy

Back