A&H

Long armpit

Is this a penalty?

• Penalty

• Not penalty

• Unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.
The Referee Store
No chance, his arm is where it is expected to be, penalty there would be incredibly harsh.

Nobody expected a PK
Once again, the still doesn't do the incident justice. Maybe in South America (where they make the HB Law up), but it would've been plain wrong

Ball also bounced off his body onto his arm.
That stopped being a factor in the current Laws. The questions are solely (1) was it deliberate and (2) was the arm in an unnatural position. If either is true, it is handling, regardless of bouncing off the body.

That stopped being a factor in the current Laws. The questions are solely (1) was it deliberate and (2) was the arm in an unnatural position. If either is true, it is handling, regardless of bouncing off the body.

Although I'm still pretty sure that the consideration for the "self play" got merged into unatural position. So a defender who goes to clear a ball and kicks it up into their arm that is extended from their body is considered to be in a natural position for the action their doing (clearing a ball).

Although I'm still pretty sure that the consideration for the "self play" got merged into unatural position. So a defender who goes to clear a ball and kicks it up into their arm that is extended from their body is considered to be in a natural position for the action their doing (clearing a ball).

To a degree, sure. Just as, to a degree, arm above the head is a species of unnatural position.

I figured PK because the defender moves right to left, positioning in front of the opponent and as they moved, their arm was outstretched, making them bigger as the moved.

I thought the ball was below the armpit level.

Reading it back, I’m open to that legitimate criticism because I wasn’t specific enough.

Ball strikes arm directly then I’m looking at unnatural position.

In this case his arm is there as a consequence of him trying to adjust his position to use his body to block it, which he does successfully and fairly.

That stopped being a factor in the current Laws. The questions are solely (1) was it deliberate and (2) was the arm in an unnatural position.
True, but you also have to take into account how the law now defines unnatural position. It doesn't talk about the arm being away from the body or above the head, for instance.

Instead, it says it's only an unnatural position, "when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation."

And, as @JamesL so rightly points out, you can't judge that from a still image.

I am just looking at the poll result in amazement that how divisive a handball decision could be amongst a community of referees.

As far as lotg and handball, I don't think, at least for the last couple of decades, the law makers ever intended to change what should or should not be handball (bar attackers scoring a goal of it). The only intent for the changes has been to describe what should or should not be handball in a way that can be interpreted consistently, and they are still failing at it.

Mancity v Wolves, another armpit call. This time PK. Looks like sleeve, not arm.
His arm was above his head, but it does look like body and arm sleeve to me.

Mancity v Wolves, another armpit call. This time PK. Looks like sleeve, not arm.
His arm was above his head, but it does look like body and arm sleeve to me.
Not for me.
Was his armpit in an unnatural position, where else could it have been more naturally 😁

By the laws I am 100% PK for me
But the law is rubbish and I would understand anyone being creative in order to give. I think thankfully in real time grass roots this is easily “missable”.

Back