A&H

Liners you can use during matches

Aled

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
During a match do have lines that you use such as one of my lines when 2 players are scuffling on the floor and it resembles kissing "Hey you two, Stop kissing get up!"
Or when a player thinks they know it all I've seen the following said: "You think your better than me do you? Well here's the whistle, get on with it"

Anyone got any other liners?

The Referee Store
Sometimes use "no need to argue; I'm always right" when a players questioning a decision but only when there's been a bit of banter through the game. Otherwise it could be quite provocative and cause trouble.

If it's a bad tempered game I don't say much, maybe "Great Shot" when a team it being hammered or "Great save" when a keeper pulls off an amazing save but in a bad tempered situation I don't say anything really

Not on I have used with a player, but today, there was a parent who shouted 'ref it's not a rugby match you know' because he thought his son was fouled. I just said 'yes but it is my game to ref thank you', I didn't hear anything else from him or any other parent for the rest of the match!

Not on I have used with a player, but today, there was a parent who shouted 'ref it's not a rugby match you know' because he thought his son was fouled. I just said 'yes but it is my game to ref thank you', I didn't hear anything else from him or any other parent for the rest of the match!
Try not to get involved with parents/spectators, they aint your problem. If you have an issue with them then get the manager to sort it out

One I heard used for a player who approached a ref arguing the toss was "I cant believe you walked all that way for a yellow. I could have given you it from where you were standing". Made me chuckle.

One I heard used for a player who approached a ref arguing the toss was "I cant believe you walked all that way for a yellow. I could have given you it from where you were standing". Made me chuckle.

That one's filed away for future use!

Once, when a defender had been turned, he reached out to grab the attacker's collar from behind, missed and fell flat on his face. I played on, attacker shot wide. Defending Captain said "Good decision ref, he never fouled him" "No, but he had bloody good try didn't he?"

This one has always gone through my head, but I've never actually used it:
Manager shouts "What game you watching ref?"
Me: "I try and imagine it's Barcelona/Real Madrid, but that's just impossible today!"

"That was later than a London Bus"

"If you're gonna be that late, send me a text and I can put the kettle on for when you arrive"

"That was a fantastic save, but you've got to remember you're not Goalkeeper anymore"

Again, niggly bad-tempered games are generally not the time to try these out!

One that I did use for an under 10s friendly that I was asked to help out on was "save that for the school drama club" after a kid dived ceremoniously four paces after someone tapped his heel.

When on the line calling an offside and one of the players shouts who was playing him onside, theres no point trying to justify yourself so I just say 'sorry I don't know him personally but he was definatly wearing <insert colour of said teams strip>' works every time and sometimes gets a laugh

one i used for the first time on Sunday was there was to players ready for a corner pushing and holding each other so i said " oi you two get a room" and they soon stopped ;)

One from yesterday. I was AR1 in a pre-season tournament play-off.

Home team were 2-0 down, and were attacking the other goal to mine, so their bench was right behind me as I was at half-way. The coach and I had exchanged pleasantries throughout the game, he was very respectful and we were working together pretty well. He was Irish, with a very strong accent, so please try and imagine this when reading the conversation we had:

The ball was crossed by his winger, hit a defender's leg and deflected up and high, over the bulk of players and GK at near post. His forward was in loads of space at far post, just outside goal area and ball was dropping perfectly for him. He snatched at the shot and it flew wild, high and handsome!

"Arrrgggh Jaysus!!!!" I hear from behind me. "Jaysus Christ! It was easier to score.....Jaysus!!!"
I turned round and said "But Jaysus was a goalkeeper wasn't he?"
"Eh?"
"Have you never seen the signs - 'Jesus Saves'?"

(LAUGHING) "Aye, he does that Lino, but my guy would still f##ck up the rebound"

Love it when you get benches like that!

MattyontheWhistle said:
That one's filed away for future use!

Once, when a defender had been turned, he reached out to grab the attacker's collar from behind, missed and fell flat on his face. I played on, attacker shot wide. Defending Captain said "Good decision ref, he never fouled him" "No, but he had bloody good try didn't he?"

This one has always gone through my head, but I've never actually used it:
Manager shouts "What game you watching ref?"
Me: "I try and imagine it's Barcelona/Real Madrid, but that's just impossible today!"

"That was later than a London Bus"

"If you're gonna be that late, send me a text and I can put the kettle on for when you arrive"

"That was a fantastic save, but you've got to remember you're not Goalkeeper anymore"

Again, niggly bad-tempered games are generally not the time to try these out!

I'm loving the London Bus quote

You could also have if player A is skill full and managers to dodge 2 foul tackles from players B & C and score. You decide to caution them both. After the goal - you pull them both over and say your like London busses wait for tackles and two come at once now here's ur ticket - and issue yellow card

I used to get a lot of players appealing for offside by shouting "how is he" I used to shout back "hes doing fine what about you"

I used and still do when shirt pulling takes place "swap shirts at the end of the game please lads"

This Saturday I had pulled this striker for being offside 3/4 times, each one he pissed and moaned. Anyway he challenges for a ball with defending red, striker thinks it has come off red so allows it to go out, it clearly came off the striker so I gave a red throw.

A strop later and he receives a yellow.

So the next attack I pulls him for offside again; he proclaims to his team mates "I'm not going to get anything this game now am I"

To which I reply, "you carry on and your definitely getting something else from me" which received a laugh and a shut up from his team mates.

Never heard a peep for the rest of the game

Back when I qualified earlier in the season, a player assumes i dont know the laws so decides to tell me before each situation (my badgeless shirt must have gave it away) because first 10 mins he goes to take a throw and says "ref he can't be offside from this throw remember" and then did the same when a goal kick was taken. So when he is fouled later on in the game in the centre circle we have a chat while he does his boot back up, i run up and say do i restart with a goal kick? Looking baffled he says its a free kick isnt it? I say "oh yeah, its a good job i've got you here to tell me the rules." Fairplay to him, he laughs.

U13 game on Sunday

Middle of the park black/white team have the ball red come behind grabs hold of his waist then reaches round and gets the ball - I give FK for holding. Red claims "I GOT THE BALL" my reply "WHAT BY HUGGING HIM FROM BEHIND!" Queue laughter from both teams.

Also my mate told me this one. He plays for the team but the ref pulled out a cracker.

Red team attacking and striker gets pulled up for offside he says "YOU CAN **** OFF REF" the refs reply "AND YOU CAN GO OFF"

Red player loses the ball and starts shouting towards me "ref he's taken me from behind! He's taken me from behind"​
"i hope he's at least buying you a drink after the game!"​
Red player doesn't get it. :D

Restart at in the second half. Blue to take the kick-off and blue player is standing in red half (why do they all think that this is ok?). "Start off in your own half please player." says I. "But I'm the centre half," comes the reply. "Fair point, but your not their centre half are you. Start off in your own half!"

Back