A&H

"Line" of offside flag

Ref-Al

No such thing as a stupid question apparently.......so here goes.

Hypothetical Situation........ Attacking player in a offside position on the edge of the center circle chases a ball that is played over the top. You delay your flag to see if he interferes or if the he doesn't and the ball runs through to the keeper or other such situation. As your running back with play he manages to "interfere" on the edge of the penalty area, so you now need to flag for offside. So here is the question..........how do you flag it? Flag goes up.......and???

Do you retreat back to position where he was (center circle) when the ball was played and then lower the flag along that "line"? Do you flag along the line that he became active/where you were when you raised the flag?

Hope the above makes some kind of sense!

The Referee Store
The ifk is always from the offside position that the attacker was standing when the ball was last played .. so yes, back to the edge of the centre circle you go, bizarre as it may seem!

But in practice I don't think I've ever seen someone do that... It always seems to be from the point where the player became active

i had exactly the same end of last season, i ended up running back to where he started from, and all hell broke loose!!

Of course you can't explain that decision to footballers because they all know the lotg better than you.

If anybody disagrees just ask what they would do when the player becomes active in their own half :)

Last edited:
This could be a stupid point but what the hell...

Being in an offside position isnt an offence within itself so the offence occurs when he interferes with play, so is it not placed where he interferes since thats the offence? When there arent ARs you can get away with positioning as the position of when the ball is played is roughly similar to interaction give or take a few yards (well in my games anyway). So tbf it is a good question. Apologies if that seems silly

No. It's where the player in offside position was when the ball was last played by a teammate.

Offside all happens at the time of that ball being played. Even if the decision can't be finalized until the player interferes.

Ah fair play, just a thought, I dont have my loaf with me at the moment :p Big thanks to this thread though, im an AR at a national tournament this weekend so this will help big time :p i just hope this doesnt happen :p

Back