A&H

Level 4 - latest kit required?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Riddle me this, from an actual game I covered last season
One team in darkest blue, lets call it black.
Other team, light blue and yellow squares, equally divided.
In Scotland, we had, black, light blue, and yellow last season
The match referee, went with blue, soon as it was clear he was in blue, players of both teams were like, ref, thats clashing with us.
A bib was suggested by players, ref refused
What should one do!?

Post match discussion revealed the referee had a grey kit from three seasons ago with him but did not want to wear it as he was being observed!

Go figure....

For the little my input is worth, grey would have been perfect. A bib acceptable and all else fails, a t shirt. Anything but the colour clash which followed!

The Referee Store
OK Rusty, I get that at the higher levels a referee has to be more professional, if that's the case why are the FA not supplying the work clothing that they require their 'employees' to wear?
£2500 a season as a level four, why else would they be refereeing?
Grassroots football does not require the latest kit, if you get the opportunity to work as a team of three or four they'll never all have the same kit!

I'm not a level 4 but I don't referee for the money.

I've forked out a fair bit of money on short sleeve and long sleeve yellow shirt, and short sleeve and long sleeve yellow compression tops. I will recoup the money for these from my match fees.

Whether we like it or not as you get higher up the ladder there are certain things which are expected of you

OK Rusty, I get that at the higher levels a referee has to be more professional, if that's the case why are the FA not supplying the work clothing that they require their 'employees' to wear?
Grassroots football does not require the latest kit, if you get the opportunity to work as a team of three or four they'll never all have the same kit!

Our relationship with the FA is on a self employed basis. Below was my post in response to another kit thread that was actually meant for this one:

At contrib you're talking about the the top 5% of referees in England so ok its not the highest level but players are being paid, fans are paying for entry - referees are being paid very well, circa £20 hour middles circa £15 hour assistant. Its not Sunday league, so actually appearance will make up some of it when clubs are expecting a certain level of professionalism. Ok you have a great game no1s bothered. Have a bad game and its just another issue for someone to pick up on.
No1 here is suggesting matching kits at youth/sunday league. And as a level 4 at supply league I wont be expecting my assistants to match me.

A bib acceptable
We aren't allowed to have the bib debate anymore... but in case it happens get your tin hat ready as its widely regarded as unacceptable south of the border. However, clubs down here aren't supposed to be allowed black/dark blue kits to avoid the clash down here so I think its that reason that causes the bib uproar.

Yes, sorry, forgot to say no restrcitions on teams wearing black in Scotland
So ref was left with, any of three shiney new kits, all of which clashed
And he went with one of the three regardless
When he actually had a grey top avail but opted not to for fear of not looking up to date.
Although, given I did SPFL in a t shirt once, am probably not best placed to comment!

I don’t think fans actually give a hoot out of the Football leagues how refs look. It’s how they actually do their job that’s far more important. I’ve never ever heard comments like the ref/ Lino was crap today but at least he looked smart and he had the latest fad kit....
They will be MPs in football shirts next!

They aren't employees. Employment laws would fail as the referees would get nowhere near the minimum wage.

Yes, they will pick up a lot of money over the season, but that shouldn't be their motivation. And there will be games where they get hardly anything for an incredibly long day. For example, I can remember an early round FA Cup game where I was away from home from 10:30 to 20:00, the referee drove so I got no travel expenses, and the fee was something like £25. So that worked out at £2.63 per hour, go figure ..!

Completely agree that at grass roots level it really doesn't matter, I'm talking here about level 4 and above.

They aren't employees. Employment laws would fail as the referees would get nowhere near the minimum wage.

Yes, they will pick up a lot of money over the season, but that shouldn't be their motivation. And there will be games where they get hardly anything for an incredibly long day. For example, I can remember an early round FA Cup game where I was away from home from 10:30 to 20:00, the referee drove so I got no travel expenses, and the fee was something like £25. So that worked out at £2.63 per hour, go figure ..!

Completely agree that at grass roots level it really doesn't matter, I'm talking here about level 4 and above.
That sort of makes it harder to insist on particular kit or even that they have to match if you're engaging a self employed contractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back