A&H

Let'em talk

HullRef

RefChat Addict
I think that referees in the premier and football leagues should be allowed to comment on a decision/s after a game. Say that from their angle what they saw and try to justify the decision they made (for those who feel up to it). I think that it would help educate some fans and managers on the LOTG and may help fans see how hard a refs job is.

Opinions?

The Referee Store
It depends - footballers are god awful boring with their media training cliches and if it is like that it's better they refs say nothing!

Then again, if they did show personality they would be slammed for hoggin the limelight!

Referees should be able to choose to do it - they should issue a statement if they wish, but they shouldn't be peppered by the media in a press conference

They should be allowed to talk about factual incidents and law-based Q&A. Not about individual incidents that some disagree with (eg Wes Brown RC), but purely law questions (eg why was that offside)

No interviews to the media for refs, there is only One way that would go.

If a manager wants clarification then fine speak with the manager. The refs duty is to the FA and the participants in the game not to Geoff Stelling

The issue is that referees' correct decisions are being criticised by ignorant pundits, they're made to look like public enemy number 1 and they are unable to defend themselves - that's why I think that they should give a statement but not be interviewed

Nope, no interviews, they shoudln't be put in a position where they have to 'try to justify their decisions'.

What I would like to see more of, is former (or current) referees being included in the studio/punditry/post-match hype media discussing the decisions and LOTG.

We have a daily half hour show here on ESPN, that rounds up news and results from world football, although mainly Euro leagues and MLS. Every few weeks, the head of the MLS referees is on the panel, discussing recent decisions from the referee point of view - without bias or malice. It certainly shuts the other guys up (Steve Nicol, Shaka Hislop, Craig Burley and Tommy Smyth)

I think that referees should be able to talk to the media if they want to.
In this video (I don't know what part it's in) Graham Poll said that it frustrated him that the media and players could say all sorts of things about him but he could not defend himself.

Back