A&H

Open Age Leaving the field of play

SmithyRKS

Level 7 Referee
Hi guys,
I refereed my first opener match yesterday the first half went well without much incident. In the second half I booked a player for dangerous play. 10 minutes later I realised the same player had come off the pitch without letting me know. He had been complaining as his team only had 8 players I subsequently went over and gave him a second caution and red for leaving field of play without my permission. The player argued that he was injured but I saw no sign of injury and he didn't let me know. The manager of that team then walked off in a huff with the red carded player. Do you think I dealt with this situation okay?

The Referee Store
I've only had one incident for this previously where the manager made a substitution with my knowledge as I was facing away from him. Didn't take me long to notice when the guy who went off was tiny and was replaced a giant ginger guy who had been screaming at everyone from the side.

By the law, whether he is injured or not he shouldn't walk off with out letting you know, only takes a second.

i will sometimes let this slide if it is an obvious injury or there is blood (a nose bleed can produce a spectacular amount of blood) but from what you described your actions were correct in law. I am guessing the player was wanting permission to get back on when he was moaning at you?

This may have been a chance to exercise law 18 and just administer a verbal warning but not give the second caution. Maybe.

Most important i guess is how do you feel about the decision with the benefit of hindsight?

There was no obvious injury, the player walked off after he had been complaining about his team and how they weren't good enough for him I turned round to see him off the field of play standing next to his manager he made clear he didn't want to go back on the pitch so I showed him the second yellow.
I still believe that although it was a strange situation at the end of the day I'm there to apply law and I did this knowingly and correctly in hindsight.

Yes you were right by law but at that level of football and with his team down to 8 players, a strong word letting him know it's a possible second caution would be enough. If he wasn't already on a caution, then you can caution him for leaving FOP.

My personal view. If I had strictly applied the law at grass-root football, I'll would have had countless cautions and send offs.

Obviously at my current level its all about strict application and a bit of common sense.

Reactions: SM
Possibly I was a little harsh but the player wasn't discussion seemed very aggressive so I believe I did the right thing in the context of the situation.
I take that point on board there about strict-law application definitely need to be more lenient dependent on the standard of football that a game is at will come over time with experience i guess. :)

Reactions: SM
It's a funny thing refereeing. You the only one who was there and you made an honest and correct decision.

Chalk it up to experience. Another game is right around the corner!

Was the game not abandoned once he was sent off for not enough players fielded from his team?

7 players and the game can carry on.

Fewer than 7, whether before kick off or due to send-offs during, our competition states the game is automatically defaulted.

Hi guys,
I refereed my first opener match yesterday the first half went well without much incident. In the second half I booked a player for dangerous play. 10 minutes later I realised the same player had come off the pitch without letting me know. He had been complaining as his team only had 8 players I subsequently went over and gave him a second caution and red for leaving field of play without my permission. The player argued that he was injured but I saw no sign of injury and he didn't let me know. The manager of that team then walked off in a huff with the red carded player. Do you think I dealt with this situation okay?

Yes, you did the absolute right thing. Injured or not, he needs to ask your permission to leave.

Back