A&H

laying the ghost of the henry penalty blunder

The Referee Store
Have to wonder why that is not a retake? Nearly everyone is in the area, the guy who scored is 3 or 4 yards from the taker when the ball is passed to him! What a mess.

Have to wonder why that is not a retake? Nearly everyone is in the area, the guy who scored is 3 or 4 yards from the taker when the ball is passed to him! What a mess.

stop it at 21 seconds, monkey. the player who scores is just one pace inside the penalty area, perhaps 12" at most. a retake, yes, but not one that most senior referees in england would trouble themselves with these days

The players other than the kicker must be 10 yards from the penalty mark. The guy who is scores is about 4.

Its stupid. I have no idea why players would take a penalty like this. Just shoot for heavens sake.

It is clearly a retake, he is 4 yards closer than allowed. Also, you're all very wrong regarding the correct restart of play :p I'll leave you to ponder on it

Oops sorry I was mistaken, rarely a rule that is ever enforced. If it was I think you'd find every penalty retaken!

That's not what I was getting at. In reality, you would only punish the player who is 4 yards closer as the other encroaching players are just stepping over the line as the ball is kicked. The referee would therefore not penalise these players but he should penalise the goalscorer and I would expect all refs to disallow the goal. However, the interesting restart is that it would be an IDFK as the penalty was not scored by the kicker.

EDIT: Yes, I know that if both players encroach its a retake regardless of the outcome, but this is for the likely outcome in real life of only the obvious encroacher being penalised.

I do see you point, but there are lots of encroachers there from both teams. Laws don't say just punish the worst offender though.

My penny's worth - it should have been retaken. The attacking team also appear to have won a trophy as a consequence of the penalty being scored so, it had significant importance.

Whenever, I have a penalty, I warn everyone not to encroach - "If attackers encroach and he/she scores, it'll be retaken. If defenders encroach and he/she misses, it'll be retaken. Don't risk it!". So far so good.

I tend to shorten that to, 'everyone else, outside the box til the ball's kicked or it could affect the outcome'

Reactions: ELP
Back