A&H

Law Changes from July 2024

Yes, just as we are called on to do in many different parts of the law.

The element of intent was only ever removed from physical contact fouls.
Hmm

“Deliberate trick”
“Deliberate save”
In both these, cases I think this is tautology. How can you have a non-deliberate trick or save. Poor wording IMHO. Doesn’t add anything.

It’s handball where deliberate non-deliberate is a fundamental flaw in application/interpretation of the laws - and re-introducing this deliberate idea - especially around red card offences and penalties - game changing moments - is daft from the law makers.

Law givers!

And hopefully it goes without saying, AFAIK the other law where we really have to judge (deliberate!) deliberate is the back pass law. Which is just sooo stupid. Thankfully very very rarely comes up but this is a very stupid law that should be fixed, deliberate removed, for everyone’s sanity. It is insane that a defender can leave a pass, the GK can pick it up, and there will be a riot!

So, on this one, I disagree;)

The Referee Store
Hmm

“Deliberate trick”
“Deliberate save”
In both these, cases I think this is tautology. How can you have a non-deliberate trick or save. Poor wording IMHO. Doesn’t add anything.

It’s handball where deliberate non-deliberate is a fundamental flaw in application/interpretation of the laws - and re-introducing this deliberate idea - especially around red card offences and penalties - game changing moments - is daft from the law makers.

Law givers!

And hopefully it goes without saying, AFAIK the other law where we really have to judge (deliberate!) deliberate is the back pass law. Which is just sooo stupid. Thankfully very very rarely comes up but this is a very stupid law that should be fixed, deliberate removed, for everyone’s sanity. It is insane that a defender can leave a pass, the GK can pick it up, and there will be a riot!

So, on this one, I disagree;)
Why pick only those two examples? The words deliberate or deliberately appear 43 times in the current edition of the laws.

And I would definitely disagree on all saves being deliberate. Many saves are totally unintentional, such as when the ball is hit straight at the player and they can't get out of the way. Sometimes they don't even know where the ball is until it hits them.

Also disagree about deliberate kicks to the keeper by a team mate - of course there has to be a judgement of whether it's deliberate or not, otherwise any accidental deflection off a defender to their keeper could lead to an offence, and a free kick in an incredibly dangerous area.

And in any event, judging whether a handball is deliberate has always been part of the law on handling offences (or at least, ever since 1902). It used to be the only consideration and despite recent changes to do with hand/arm position, it never went away. So it's not being reintroduced, just becoming a consideration in a slightly different area of the law

Back