A&H

Open Age L7-6 Promotion, Game 2

Yampy

RefChat Addict
Sunday league game, bottom division, both teams mid-table, Reds vs. Blues. Firstly, the away team turned up in their first choice kit which clashed with the home team so, I asked for a change of shirt to avoid confusion. Sadly, the away team only had 9 dark blue shirts and the remaining player chose to play in black. I know, I know. Anyhow, a nondescript game which ended in a 2-2 draw. It was not bad but not good either and passed without major incident but gave me some food for thought afterwards. One again, used CARs.
1) Home defender was quite vocal (I'd had prior warning but always feel this prejudices your thoughts) and was 'experienced'. He had a habit of blocking the attacker when he was beaten. A couple of times, I let play go for the advantage to the away team. The third time, I blew for the foul and finally, in the 39th minute I cautioned him for persistent offending. I felt I was justified with the caution but I hadn't spoken to him after the third attempt and the card was a bit of a shock to him. Experience would tell me to handle this better leading up to the card. 2) Similarly, there was the away forward who chased and chased everything. Plenty of energy but not always on time. He gave a couple of defenders a late nudge or two and in the 41st, I'd had enough and cautioned him too. Again, for persistent offending. Both cautions had the desired effect or so I thought. 3) The 2nd half was uneventful, until aforementioned away forward flew into a challenge near the half line in an effort to block a long ball forward. Contact was minimal but I saw it as PIADM. He'd didn't like the second yellow but left the field without further discussion or argument. Would you believe it, that was my first red of the season? There was one more caution for delaying the restart as the away team defended what they had.
In conclusion, I need to address the level of dissent but I have no bench mark as to what is bad and what isn't. These guys chip away but nothing I wouldn't expect to hear and no one says anything personal to me or each other. I talk to anyone who does and I'm happy everyone is happy at the end of the game. So far, I'm happy with my approach but I'm not sure what to compare it with.
My self evaluation is attached.

Attachments

• 20150303 Game 2.xls
    25.5 KB · Views: 4
The Referee Store
You're not obliged to tell a player he is about to get done for PI, but it advisable to try and take the stepped approach and be seen and heard to give players a warning, even if you play advantage.

Similarly, the next foul after the caution for PI doesn't have to be a second caution, so the second foul on its own should have warranted the caution otherwise maybe a final word would have been better?

i read your posts and it seems you may be over-analysing a little, but it's great that you are asking for advice and willing to learn.

I think it's great that you're trying to learn from every game. Will stand you in very good stead. And is exactly what higher level refs are encouraged to do in this county

On persistent low level dissent, my advice would be to 'nip it in the bud' if possible. I've found it increases as you rise up the leagues and is partly just the players 'testing out' your match control. A loud shout t the player concerned and / or a word to the player with the captain should hopefully do the trick ....

I find if I write down my experiences from the game, I can review them later on and spot any trends. I don't want 'paralysis by analysis' but some is helpful and constructive to me. I don't mind constructive feedback, it can help tremendously. I like the advice so far, much appreciated.
Similarly, the next foul after the caution for PI doesn't have to be a second caution, so the second foul on its own should have warranted the caution otherwise maybe a final word would have been better?
In this case, the second caution was merited based on the foul alone and I'm happy with my course of action. The player had committed a foul or two in the interim and had calmed down after a quick word.
On persistent low level dissent, my advice would be to 'nip it in the bud' if possible.
It's a weakness (or development point) I have to work on. It'll come with experience.

Back