A&H

Open Age L7-6 Promotion, Game 1

Yampy

RefChat Addict
I've set off on the road to promotion from level 7 to level 6 and I'm trying to help myself with some self evaluation on each game. I'm hoping the feedback I give myself with help me highlight strengths and weaknesses and hopefully they will match with those identified by an assessor. This is the story of game one.
Saturday league, division one (lower league of two) between Orange (mid-table) and Yellow (bottom). Just one official (me) and using CARs. I'd prepared well for this game and was ready. I must have looked the part because the home club's first team were playing in a Central Midlands League game at the same time and the visitors thought I was their referee! That gave me a boost.
Decent game but neither team was that good in front of goal but they kept it clean and nothing untoward developed. Home team won with a penalty with 10 minutes left. No argument from the away team about the awarding of the penalty kick.
Two 'incidents' from the game which had me thinking after the game. 1) After awarding the penalty, I failed to caution the away defender for the foul tackle. I was right in not doing so because the tackle was careless, clearly a foul and inside the penalty area but I'm concerned I didn't even consider the caution until after the game finished. Incidentally, the player did get a caution a few minutes later and that's why I ended up thinking about it. 2) This was an unfortunately, incorrect offside decision. The away team were defending a counter attack but gained possession and cleared the ball long. I was happy I anticipated the play and had switched my run back as the play changed. The away attacker was clearly in an offside position even from my view and the CAR duly raised his flag. The attacker continued and got a shot away which the keeper touched away from goal but I'd blown the whistle to stop play for the offside by then. All good as far as everyone was concerned until a home defender sheepishly came jogging back from near his own goal line. He'd been tying his laces and had played the attacker onside. The only player who knew he was there was the player himself and it was only then that the away team protested and wanted the corner kick. I restarted play with the IDFK to the home team for the offside as that was why I stopped play in the first place.
Subsequently, I found out I was assessed for this game but the first I knew about it was when the assessment report dropped through my letterbox. There was no introduction and no post match debrief and I'm wary of it's validity towards my promotion campaign. My RDO is aware of the situation. It was a good assessment, mind you!
My self evaluation form is uploaded for you to read.

Attachments

• 20150302 Game 1.xls
    34 KB · Views: 20
The Referee Store
You should be told well in advance that you are being assessed, as far as I am aware?
Yes, I should. I not too concerned about it and the CFA will deal with it. It'll either count or it won't and in my mind, it doesn't. I consider it a bonus because although I didn't get a debrief, I did get some assessment feedback in the report.

One thing I learnt from two of my L6-5 assessments last year, is that the assessor will often want you to caution for a foul in the box leading to penalty under the mandatory line of "breaking up a promising attack". I argued this both times under the "not reckless" line and was told both times to deal with it better. This might contradict what others will tell you, but it was my experience last season when going L5.

For the offside, I would have probably awarded the corner, as there was a natural break in play for you to sell the decision. However, you would have to be certain that the original offside decision was wrong and would sell this to the defending captain and the lino on that basis.

Here in Ontario, you can have up to five assessments in a season, and up to two of those may be unannounced. Although, the assessor must introduce him/herself post match and hold a debrief. Without that debrief, the assessment is not consider valid. I don't recall whether they are supposed to introduce themselves pre-match or not.

Back