A&H

Kit colour at "top" levels - again

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
QPR v Derby last night.

Both GKs resplendent in bright green shirts, shorts & socks - I noticed referee HAD made sure that they both had green sock tape on though which was good to see!:rolleyes:

Very difficult at grassroots to gain any credibility for kit "corrections" when everyone sees this sort of thing every week at the top.

The Referee Store
Make it simple if you come across this with teams at the "grassroots" level, just say to them:

The Premier League dictates what colours everyone on that field wears. Does your grassroots league dictate what colours the GKs must wear? No. Then change.

Not really an error though, goalkeepers don't have to be in different colours. They are expected to, but the good book says that if they clash and can't be changed, play on.

Alex & Montone

1) PL doesn't dictate GK colours - they wear a myriad of colours over the season & anyway this was a FL Championship match

2) Of course at this level they "can" be changed, would imagine each club has about 6 colours for their GKs.

Not having a go, honestly!, but "last week's ref" often gets castigated on here for allowing different colour sock tape for example but we always seem to be able to find an "excuse" for the top levels not to apply the law!

Climbs off soap box and gets back to work;)

I'd be surprised if the PL doesn't dictate colours.

Over here, the MLS brass dictate team colours (in coordination with the teams, obviously), including what colours the GKs shall wear. Same applies at the USL levels.

Alex & Montone

1) PL doesn't dictate GK colours - they wear a myriad of colours over the season & anyway this was a FL Championship match

I'd be surprised if the PL doesn't dictate colours.

Over here, the MLS brass dictate team colours (in coordination with the teams, obviously), including what colours the GKs shall wear. Same applies at the USL levels.

PL games are told what colour each team, GK & officials will wear (subject to their colours indicated at the beginning of the season, and within any special requests for the season).

FL it is decided on the day. Order of choice - home, away, home GK, away GK, officials. All kits must be from within the colours indicated to FL at start of season.

As I read the Premier League handbook, the League does require that the home team's outfield players should wear their registered home strip but they do not dictate what colours the away team or either goalkeeper should wear from among their registered home and alternative strips, other than the obvious stipulation that the teams' colours should distinguish them from each other and from the match officials. The away team must inform the home team what colours they have chosen to wear (including the goalkeeper) at least 10 days beforehand. The League only steps in to decide colours if there is a dispute between the teams, in which case they will make a determination in consultation with the PGMOL and notify the teams. The referee has the authority to make a final decision on the match day, if the need arises.

As I read the Premier League handbook, the League does require that the home team's outfield players should wear their registered home strip but they do not dictate what colours the away team or either goalkeeper should wear from among their registered home and alternative strips, other than the obvious stipulation that the teams' colours should distinguish them from each other and from the match officials. The away team must inform the home team what colours they have chosen to wear (including the goalkeeper) at least 10 days beforehand. The League only steps in to decide colours if there is a dispute between the teams, in which case they will make a determination in consultation with the PGMOL and notify the teams. The referee has the authority to make a final decision on the match day, if the need arises.
You can read the PL handbook all you wish, but I'm assuring you that's how it works. No ifs, buts or maybes about it.

You can read the PL handbook all you wish, but I'm assuring you that's how it works. No ifs, buts or maybes about it.

Yes Dan but still does not explain why teams at 2nd level turn out with GKs wearing the same colour and why in 2 or 3 games every week GKs are wearing same colour as referee in the PL.

I refer to my previous post - we're looking for reasons to justify something that shouldn't happen and is easily preventable.

Yes Dan but still does not explain why teams at 2nd level turn out with GKs wearing the same colour and why in 2 or 3 games every week GKs are wearing same colour as referee in the PL.

I refer to my previous post - we're looking for reasons to justify something that shouldn't happen and is easily preventable.
I don't know what colours were used in the OP of this game, but I do know QPR wear blue/white.
So, FL game;
QPR - blue/white
Derby - Don't know, let's say red?
QPR GK - green
Derby GK choices may be green or blue. Clearly, can't wear blue so must clash with opposition GK instead. QPR GK choices might be green & Derby's away colour.

In PL games, let's remember that officials have 4 colour choices only. If all of those 4 colours are being used by teams & gk's, what should referees do??

I don't know what colours were used in the OP of this game, but I do know QPR wear blue/white.
So, FL game;
QPR - blue/white
Derby - Don't know, let's say red?
QPR GK - green
Derby GK choices may be green or blue. Clearly, can't wear blue so must clash with opposition GK instead. QPR GK choices might be green & Derby's away colour.

In PL games, let's remember that officials have 4 colour choices only. If all of those 4 colours are being used by teams & gk's, what should referees do??

Derby wore grey, officials in yellow.

I have definitely seen QPR GK in more than 2 colours in Championship.

I emailed the Premier League via their website, to ask how this works. Here is their reply:

Sent: Friday, March 11, 2016 at 3:44 PM
To: Peter Grove
Subject: RE: rules-regulations - Contact Us
Hi Peter

The [info] below summarises how the process works.

Rule M.24
Away club submit choice 10 days prior to game
PL cross-reference with home kit
PL suggest kit colour for match officials
PL can suggest changes to kit
PGMOL ratify choices
Choices are entered into data system
System assesses choices for suitable contrast
Final selections confirmed by PL
Clubs, match officials and broadcasters notified

The Premier League (PL) Football Operations team oversee the process. However, ultimately the referee can determine on the day if any changes are needed. However, the system and process should ensure that doesn’t need to happen – unless somebody has forgotten to pack the correct kit!

PGMOL are the body who oversee Select Group referees, work that includes finalises the appointment of officials for each game.

Hope this helps

Supporter Services
So essentially, they say that they do follow the process I outlined above - the home team wears their home kit, the away team does get to choose and the Premier League does not "dictate" what colours the teams should wear (though they may make suggestions).

OK all fine and dandy, so how does that explain colour clashes that occur every week in PK & FL?

The referee is sole arbiter at the end of the day, if teams turn up in colours that referee doesn't like, he surely has the "power" to get them changed?

As grass roots referees there is no point in us worrying about what happens in the FL/PL as we have no control over it.

A wiser man than I once said don't worry about the things you can't control, just worry about the things you can.

If a team on sunday morning won't change a clashing kit because the teams on MOTD wear clashing kits, just remind them that they either change or the game doesn't get played/they will be reported to the league and get fined

My RDO explained to us on the course that the official reason the sock tape and under shorts part of the law was brought in was to help prevent unnecessary colour clashes and to help officials where judging throws etc, however it seems rather redundant when teams in domestic games can wear the same colour shorts. There is also a trend these days of teams wearing their 2nd/3rd kits away from home regardless of if their first choice kit clashes or not, probably for commercial reasons. For many many years, the only colour domestic keepers wore was green (unless the likes of Plymouth were playing of course) and the never seemed to be any problem whatsoever.

We all know and have said several times that professional football in England is a law to itself and often contradicts what is printed in the good book!

As grass roots referees there is no point in us worrying about what happens in the FL/PL as we have no control over it.

A wiser man than I once said don't worry about the things you can't control, just worry about the things you can.

If a team on sunday morning won't change a clashing kit because the teams on MOTD wear clashing kits, just remind them that they either change or the game doesn't get played/they will be reported to the league and get fined

I'm not worrying about it - just passing comment on here on top level games like we all do:confused:

Back