A&H

keepers at penalties - law change

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
I've just read the law change at penalties with regard to keeper's behaviour at penalties.

This is another minefield.

"The goalkeeper must not behave in a manner that fails to show respect for the game and the opponent".

One refs respect is another ref's "it's part of the game".

More inconsistencies!

The Referee Store
The law actually says

"The goalkeeper must not behave
in a way that unfairly distracts the kicker, e.g. delay the taking of the kick or
touch the goalposts, crossbar or goal net." Which is more prescriptive and less open to interpretation.

I think the issue is lack of respect for the game is a caution and that bit is lost when the explanation for this change is taken out.

Also, what about players... GK not allowed but non-GKs are? An oversight which might get corrected.

touch the goalposts, crossbar or goal net
Not sure I know of a keeper who doesn't reach to touch the bar before a penalty, just getting their bearings I think but you'll see attacking players calling for it now (assuming they read the LOTG which I know most won't!)

Gonna be a tough one to sell!!! Yellow for touching the bar or post on a pen!!! I have very rarely seen a pen where a keeper hasn't touched the bar 😂😂
More poor drafting from IFAB. They don’t mean touching the frame at all, they mean doing so in a way to distract the kicker or delay the kick.p, such as a GK grabbing the top of the frame to make it shake. The reality is this addition in a literal sense adds nothing to the tools the ref already had to deal with GK behavior. This was IFAB trying to send a message that GK shenanigans should be reigned in. But it is instructions to refs more than this that is going to change behavior.

And maybe it is starting to happen. In the US-Canada KFTM earlier this week, the GKs seemed to not move past the GA in their gamesmanship. Made me wonder if the R had told them that they should expect a caution if they went farther than that to interact with a kicker. If so, small progress.

And maybe it is starting to happen. In the US-Canada KFTM earlier this week, the GKs seemed to not move past the GA in their gamesmanship. Made me wonder if the R had told them that they should expect a caution if they went farther than that to interact with a kicker. If so, small progress.
I wasn’t particularly paying attention, but the latest Football Ramble podcast episode in their women’s football spin-off touched upon this.

Edit: this one…

Not sure I know of a keeper who doesn't reach to touch the bar before a penalty, just getting their bearings I think but you'll see attacking players calling for it now (assuming they read the LOTG which I know most won't!)
Why would they just start doing that now, when the law prohibiting keepers from touching the bar was already introduced four years ago?

It wasn’t accompanied by 100 “LAD” pages posting stories about Martinez “antics” being “banned by FIFA!!!”
OK, but the antics by Martinez did not include touching the bar so again, why would they start objecting to that now, when they didn't four years ago?

Most of the articles I've read about the change concentrate on the unfairly distracting an opponent clause (as they should, since it's the only new part) and don't mention the bit about touching the frame of the goal - probably because it's not new.

OK, but the antics by Martinez did not include touching the bar so again, why would they start objecting to that now, when they didn't four years ago?

Most of the articles I've read about the change concentrate on the unfairly distracting an opponent clause (as they should, since it's the only new part) and don't mention the bit about touching the frame of the goal - probably because it's not new.
Because they didn't know the law 4 years ago and they do now?

Back