A&H

It's almost that time!

DB

Referee, Observer, Mentor, Player
Level 5 Referee
Decisions..

Blues vs red. It's a cup final and the score is 2-1 to blues. In the final play of the game, the blues keeper is sent off for DOGSO. A penalty is awarded and the resultant kick is scored. The game goes to extra time and ends goalless. All three permitted substitutes were made during the game.

1. What actions must you take prior to the commencing of the kick? This is all actions from the final whistle to the first kick.

During the penalty kicks at 3-3, the reds goalkeeper injures himself and is unable to take part in the game.

2. What actions must you take?

The kicks resume and the nominated blue taker steps up. As he does so, a team-mate runs in and takes the penalty, burying it into the top left.

3. What action do you take?

Upon seeing this, the reds are furious. A red player runs up to the attacker that took the kick and forcefully pushes him to the ground. A mass confrontation breaks out. After consultation with your assistants, you identify 6 players from the blue team and 5 players from the red team who are guilty of sending off offences. You finally get the situation under control and dismiss the players from the field. They leave with no problems.

4. What are your actions? Do you abandon the game?

If you decide to carry on with the game, another incident takes place. Rain has started pouring and due to the activity in the penalty area (and a blue player digging his heels in), the penalty spot disappears and immediate vicinity around the penalty spot becomes unplayable and fills up with water. The blue player turns to you and says "there is no way we can take penalties from here now".

5. You agree with the player, the surface is unplayable. If you didn't abandon after the teams were reduced to below 7 men, would you do so now and alert the authorities? What is your plan of action?

Last edited:
The Referee Store
I'm going to have a go at #1 at least and leave the rest for later/others.

Things you're required to do by law:
Inspect both penalty marks/goal lines and determine if there is a safety reason to pick one end of the pitch over the other (crowd may also be a factor here if you're in a big enough stadium to have allocated seating).
Assuming not, carry out two coin tosses with the captains - first to determine which end will be used (winner gets to pick?), then to determine who goes first (winner gets to pick again?)
You are not required to take names in advance any more, simply note shirt numbers when they walk up.

Things that aren't in law, but are probably a good idea:
Check the ball pressure is still good and that you have a spare or two readily available that are also well pumped up in case the first goes over a fence.
Brief your AR's on what to do - the AR in the middle (+4th official if you have one) should be noting shirt numbers to make sure no one gets two kicks, as well as enforcing discipline and making sure no shirt-switching shenanigans are going on, while the other AR will be making goal line calls.
Worth clarifying to both managers how the kicks will work with uneven teams as well (assuming the keeper for DOGSO is the only red card at this point).
Brief the GK's on what you expect and clarify that they are expected to be on the line until the moment the ball is kicked.

Anything I've missed?

@GraemeS and what about the one player that's been sent off? What must we ensure happens?

This had quite a few people puzzled last night. Even on some of the forums I've put it on, people are arguing :rolleyes: Just bare in mind there is a little trip that I've purposely put in here to see if anyone falls straight into it.

Anything I've missed?

Determine which player from red won't be taking a KFTPM so that the shootout is evened out on numbers (10v10) which you are almost saying you are doing.
I'd like to believe you have briefed your assistants pre-match rather than after ET has ended. At worse, brief them after FT but before ET in preparation.
Ensure substitutes remain off the pitch and only the eligible players are gathered in the centre circle. All coaching staff should stay of the pitch too (unless they are playing and eligible to take a kick).
Instruct GK and kicker that the kick will be taken on my whistle, blow whistle.

I forgot to mention... all three substitutes were made during the ninety

During the penalty kicks at 3-3, the reds goalkeeper injures himself and is unable to take part in the game.
You also fail to mention if the Red GK has taken a kick prior to injuring himself, whether the 3-3 score is a result of an even number of kicks per side or how many each side has taken in total or, are we still in the best of 5 phase or 'sudden death'. And, you haven't clarified if Red, Blue or both has used their full compliment of substitutions and merely implied that it is '3 from 5 substitutions' and not 'unlimited substitutions'.

@GraemeS and what about the one player that's been sent off? What must we ensure happens?

This had quite a few people puzzled last night. Even on some of the forums I've put it on, people are arguing :rolleyes: Just bare in mind there is a little trip that I've purposely put in here to see if anyone falls straight into it.
Well it goes without saying that he should still be well away from the FOP, so I think I see what you're getting at. I presume it's to do with the timing of when the player who's not going to take a kick has to be nominated as such? If it has to be done straight away, I then see how question 2 could become a problem....

4. What are your actions? Do you abandon the game?

Abandon. This covered by both Law 3 ("A match may not start or continue if either team has fewer than seven players") and Law 10 ("The referee must not abandon the match if a team is reduced to fewer than seven players")

This renders #5 an irrelevance.

Your friend obviously had a very challenging game but I think the observer will have a few development points to list. And my advice to your friend would be to write up all the misconduct reports in Notepad/Word and copy&paste to WGS because I'm not sure it will remain logged in for long enough to save all that!

carry out two coin tosses with the captains - first to determine which end will be used (winner gets to pick?), then to determine who goes first (winner gets to pick again?)

You as the referee determine which goals get used during the toss, neither captain gets the right to call it. You of course should tell them before hand: "heads we play in this end and tails we play in the other".

Keeping my interpretation simple of this, with all substitutions used up. The red team nominates a player to replace the keeper. The blue team have to reduce their numbers again to make it even so now each team has a total of 9 players on the pitch.

You as the referee determine which goals get used during the toss, neither captain gets the right to call it. You of course should tell them before hand: "heads we play in this end and tails we play in the other".
Reread Law 10 again, please.

Reread Law 10 again, please.

"Unless there are other considerations (e.g. ground conditions, safety etc.), the referee tosses a coin to decide the goal at which the kicks will be taken which may only be changed for safety reasons or if the goal or playing
surface becomes unusable"
"The referee tosses a coin again and the team that wins the toss decides whether to take the first or second kick"

"Unless there are other considerations (e.g. ground conditions, safety etc.), the referee tosses a coin to decide the goal at which the kicks will be taken which may only be changed for safety reasons or if the goal or playing
surface becomes unusable"
"The referee tosses a coin again and the team that wins the toss decides whether to take the first or second kick"
You of course should tell them before hand: "heads we play in this end and tails we play in the other".
If for safety reasons or the surface is unfit at one end of the ground, you decide not to play there, period. Why then indicate to the captains, you have one end and, you have the other?
If both ends are fit for purpose, you spin the coin, the winner decides. Don't leave yourself open to accusations of bias in deciding the outcome of a match. What happens if the losing team objects to the outcome because you denied them the opportunity to take the kicks at their preferred end? Do it by the book and you have no problems.
I even tossed a coin when both captains had indicated to me verbally they'd choose the same end. Ceremonial but no comeback from the the teams or the observer on the sidelines. It took a few seconds.

Abandon. This covered by both Law 3 ("A match may not start or continue if either team has fewer than seven players") and Law 10 ("The referee must not abandon the match if a team is reduced to fewer than seven players")

This renders #5 an irrelevance.

Your friend obviously had a very challenging game but I think the observer will have a few development points to list. And my advice to your friend would be to write up all the misconduct reports in Notepad/Word and copy&paste to WGS because I'm not sure it will remain logged in for long enough to save all that!
Interesting. @David Sutton , re-read law 10, particularly the last page and paragraph. :wtf:

Okay just to clarify.

Three from five subs were used (no subs left)
Three pens taken by each, three pens scored each
Goalkeepers didnt take a kick.

If both ends are fit for purpose, you spin the coin, the winner decides.

Nope. You spin the coin to decide which goal to use, not to decide which captain can choose.

I don't think there's any real problem with having misread the law in the way you have but if you're going to write condescending posts like "Read Law 10 again, please" it's probably a good idea to make sure you've got it the right way up yourself ;)

Back