A&H

Is trapping the ball a deliberate kick to the GK?

alright @one and @CapnBloodbeard - I can see you both running around in circles very quickly, so lets leave that there and put it in the box ...

moving back to the OP, I think this is a massive 'have to be there' situation ... and i'll show you why:

example A: the defender traps the ball in his area, and before he has a chance to do much with it the keep comes out and poucnes on the ball

for me this isn't an offence, the defender hasn't deliberately done anything here, simply stopped the ball and not gone any further before the keeper has nabbed it.

example B: the defender traps it, leaves it a second and maybe even knocks it to the side of him (looking like he will give it a nice big boot) but leaves it just the extra second for the keeper to come and collect.

this one for me is an offence, his knocked it to the side, and I think that hesitation is a purposeful move for the keeper to grab it

The Referee Store
Poorly written question for me.

'Kicking the ball to' as used in LOTG implies intent. "stops the ball' as used in the question leave it open if there was intent for the goal keeper to pick it up or not.

The outcome of a similar discussion in the past was to see the intent. Generally at higher level games players get crafty and if you deem it that way then its a IDFK. You can even caution the player or the keeper for unsporting behavior if you can sell it.
Great comments in this thread. The question was in a AReferee.com quiz. They seem to have recently updated the content there. But this was a question I also thought was ambiguously worded. What is interesting is that we collectively don't have a totally clear line here.

I think the problem is in the wording of the laws. ..."it has been deliberately kicked to the goalkeeper by a team-mate" is still not specific enough. At least "back" is not there! For me, a trap is not a kick so I by the letter of the law I think no foul. But, spirit of the game, for me says if a defender deliberately controls the ball to give possession of the ball to the goalkeeper. So, yes, I would like to see the IDFK.

Better wording in the laws could be: "it has been deliberately controlled by a team-mate to give possession of the ball to the goal-keeper"

Back