A&H

Interchangeable life skills

RegalRef

Politically Incorrect
Refereeing can sharpen some good (and bad) personality traits.

What skills have you developed as a referee that have helped you in day to day life, or vice-versa, what skills have you developed in general life that have helped you become a better referee?

The Referee Store
My day to day job as an auditor means appling the laws, rules and regulations as things are presented infront of you. This includes pickng upon hat someone may say or do, odd quipps that can lead to a whole treasure trove of hidden information that may pass, or fail their assessment.

So if anything it has helped me not be soft in decisions, to stick with what I have seen and whant my decision is accoridingly. Confident has grown in both fields as in both situations its "me v them" as it were.

but on the other hand, bein in the forces for 10 years before has meant that I can take as lot of ****, not gt wound up and man mangment / situational managment. Not surprisingl, when I spoke to Anthony Tylor he said the same thing after being a prision officer - situationa dn pesonnel management.

Oh and reffing got me back on my bike, which has got me fitter reffing, which has helped on the bike ya de ya.

And confidence - quite the office job, and now working for myself auditing.

Mayb best thing I did was the BRC?!?

Good question. I remember a job interview years ago where I talked about my refereeing at the end and used it as an example of how I could manage difficult people in intensive environments - that certainly went down well at the time, just for being something a bit different more than anything.

Currently my main role is to teach leadership and management as staff development - so much of this is about building confidence, making difficult decisions, adapting to situations and managing all kinds of people that I regularly draw upon refereeing examples. Similarly, I take the leadership theory/practice that I've learnt over the years onto the field so, for example, I now make a conscious effort to remain calm (on the outside at least), am clear and confident in the decisions I make and, where necessary, make my point assertively rather than defensively or aggressively. I also make sure to communicate with everyone in the best way I can - this is the hardest thing for me personally as I do tend to go quiet when under pressure but again I think about myself in a work situation and know that I can draw on certain strengths to do this.

Above all, leadership is about reflecting on your own performance, so I have also learnt to consider the key decisions I've made and how I might do things differently without necessarily beating myself up about it. In fact, I've realised that the only times I get depressed after a game is if I know I've bottled a decision (thought too long about it, typically) so I'm now much more prepared to go with my gut instinct and deal with things as they happen. Again, it's a confidence thing.

Being decisive, living in the "now", public speaking and the ability to manage angry people are all skills taken off the field and into life.

Being assertive, detailed knowledge (geekery) of a subject and a winning smile are skills taken on to the field.

Putting work to one side, dealing with the bizarre moods, foul mouths and illogicality of my two teenagers is definitely great preparation for stepping onto the football field ......

I used to work in a bar - the first time you have to cut someone off is very akin to the first time you have to send someone off the football pitch!

You've got the DOGSO-type cutting off, where they haven't particularly upset you, but you know it's the right thing to do. You've got the S7's, where you've just given them so many warnings about their behaviour. And then you've got the OFFINABUS equivalents, where you suddenly see the regret in their eyes and the realisation that they've gone too far. Fortunately, as a mere barman, the VC's were never my problem to deal with!

I would imagine that after a few seasons we are well equipped to deal with most types of mental illness and learning difficulties.......considering how we have to spoon feed the most basic of information and control the petulant strops of your average Sunday footballer....?

;)

Reactions: Kes
Back