A&H

IFAB Changes

RustyRef

Administrator
Staff member
Breaking news. At the FIFA World Club Championship IFAB have agreed that the referees will wear microphones and be audible to the crowd. and TV audience so that decisions can be explained.

Also, the World Cup strict timekeeping leading to much more added time is to be adopted in all football going forward.

The Referee Store
Interesting.

I reckon point 1 will last about a month of implemented widely!

2) Puts Howard Webb in a bit of a spot as the PL have already said they are not in favour!

Discuss!

Wonder if the communication will be "open" ie everything is audible or if someone - Referee?; 4th?, VAR?, Broadcaster? decides who can hear what?

Just the referees voice will be heard I believe. His explanation of the decision. Communication between him and VAR will not be made public.

I went to Twickenham many years back where we had the option to purchase earpieces to listen in.. I know TV had it at that point too.

I wonder if the stadium version will be akin to my experience many years ago.... FIFA able to sell earpieces to listen in and profit from it rather than it be free for all.

Mr Keith Hackett in today's online version of the Daily Telegraph offers this gem as to what IFAB should address:

"For example, there is already the six second law for goal kicks where goalkeepers are expected to play the ball within that time and failure to do so should be an indirect free kick to the opposition. However, I cannot remember when this law was last enforced"

Have I missed a circular? 🤔🙄😁

Probably edited for 'brevity' ba non-referee.
It wasn't enforced during his time as Head of PGMO

Way more interesting IMHO is:

“The Board also discussed clarifications relating to the Laws of the Game 2023/24, including the confirmation of the published guidelines on “deliberate play” in offside situations. The guidelines were released following a number of high-profile situations, based on the expectation that a player who is clearly in an offside position should not become “onside” on all occasions when an opponent moves and touches the ball.”

Ooh. No sh** sherlock. Timely!

Also there are titbits on concussion and this one:

“The members also considered further ways of improving discipline and reducing aggression towards match officials, players and team officials at grassroots and amateur level, including by implementing a trial with match recordings that may be used to provide evidence of any misconduct during games.:

Does that mean the whacky protected-cloud-video scheme pilot nonsense got airtime?

I went to Twickenham many years back where we had the option to purchase earpieces to listen in.. I know TV had it at that point too.

I wonder if the stadium version will be akin to my experience many years ago.... FIFA able to sell earpieces to listen in and profit from it rather than it be free for all.
Interesting. That will provoke a reaction if it happens over here!

Breaking news. At the FIFA World Club Championship IFAB have agreed that the referees will wear microphones and be audible to the crowd. and TV audience so that decisions can be explained.

Also, the World Cup strict timekeeping leading to much more added time is to be adopted in all football going forward.
*Mic on*

"Will the Clock Operator please reset the Game Clock to 14 minutes 37 seconds"

*Mic off*

Disappointed not to see temporary head injury assessment substitutions. Really don’t understand why IFAB so against this.
Because having the option adds pressure to put that player back on the field when that might endanger them. It is safest for the player to take no further part if there is concern over a head injury.

Because having the option adds pressure to put that player back on the field when that might endanger them. It is safest for the player to take no further part if there is concern over a head injury.
Conversely, knowing that if you take a player off due to concerns over concussion would result in you not being able to return him if he's cleared could be argued to incentivise a reluctance to use the protocol in the first place?

If a player might be concussed, I'd much rather the system encouraged them to be taken off and assessed properly vs forcing the medical team to make significant and permanent medical decision (and incidentally, with major tactical ramifications) from 40 yards away.

This is yet another example where the best and easiest thing for IFAB to do would have been to copy & paste the rule from rugby, but instead they insist on reinventing the wheel and then end up coming up with a worse result.

Problem is there have been countless occasions where a player is assessed after a head injury, allowed to carry on, only to then have to go off with concussion. Perhaps they were because the physios didn't have enough time to properly assess him, perhaps it was due to pressure from the player or management team. If the latter then the current concussion subs don't help, a manager isn't going to want to permanently take off their star player if there is a chance he will be OK, whereas if they can bring him off for proper assessment and then send him back on they are less likely to object. Which ultimately protects the health and safety of the players.

And yes, we know that managers should have zero influence over physios, but unfortunately we know that isn't the case. Just think back to Mourinho and Eva Carneiro, I find it hard to believe that some don't try to keep players on when the physio has told them they should be taken off.

“The Board also discussed clarifications relating to the Laws of the Game 2023/24, including the confirmation of the published guidelines on “deliberate play” in offside situations. The guidelines were released following a number of high-profile situations, based on the expectation that a player who is clearly in an offside position should not become “onside” on all occasions when an opponent moves and touches the ball.”

Ooh. No sh** sherlock. Timely!

Also there are titbits on concussion and this one:

“The members also considered further ways of improving discipline and reducing aggression towards match officials, players and team officials at grassroots and amateur level, including by implementing a trial with match recordings that may be used to provide evidence of any misconduct during games.:

Does that mean the whacky protected-cloud-video scheme pilot nonsense got airtime?
Belatedly, since the guidelines were issued last July, are they the first time the laws (and guidelines) have suggested you can be "in control" of the ball but not have "possession"? I can't recall when they were not interchangeable terms.

(And how can they clarify the LOTG 2023/24 when they aren't published yet?)

Back