A&H

Idfk for back pass

Felly

Where would the idfk be taken from for a back pass handled by the goalkeeper? Reading the Ifab book suggests it would be on the 18 yard line, level with where the goalie touched it? I’ve never seen it done like that though. I thought it would be from where the goalie touched it? Whichever it is, I got it wrong in my last game as I gave it from the short side of the 18 yard box level with where the incident occurred. Ah well, every days a school day!

The Referee Store
Edge of the goal area parallel to the offence.
By goal area the LOTG mean 6 yard box.

Where would the idfk be taken from for a back pass handled by the goalkeeper? Reading the Ifab book suggests it would be on the 18 yard line, level with where the goalie touched it? I’ve never seen it done like that though. I thought it would be from where the goalie touched it? Whichever it is, I got it wrong in my last game as I gave it from the short side of the 18 yard box level with where the incident occurred. Ah well, every days a school day!
It is taken from where the offence occurs unless the offence occurs inside the Goal area (aka the 6 yard box, not the penalty area!)
If inside the Goal Area then it is taken on the edge of the goal area paralell with the goal line at the closest point to the offence.

Your OP suggests you have confused what is a goal area and what is a penalty area. Which is why you've never seen it done like that 👍

It is taken from where the offence occurs unless the offence occurs inside the Goal area (aka the 6 yard box, not the penalty area!)
If inside the Goal Area then it is taken on the edge of the goal area paralell with the goal line at the closest point to the offence.

Your OP suggests you have confused what is a goal area and what is a penalty area. Which is why you've never seen it done like that 👍
Thanks for that. Why would IFAB confuse bears of little brain such as myself by using the term goal area to mean inside the 6 yard box? Madness! Nonetheless, I have learned something from this. It made virtually no difference in this case as the keeper was only just inside his box anyway, but laws are laws.

Because the goal area has always been the goal area, and the penalty area always the penalty area, in the laws of the game - the term "box" is football-speak, rather like "last man", "linesman", "obstruction", "got the ball", all of which we have to dislodge from the brains of those who come on courses to learn to referee. You will find the use of the correct words is not confusing!

Actually saw this last week at QPR v Swansea - very rare in the professional game - back pass was underhit, so GK had no choice but to pick it up, inside the gaol area - no card (correct) and fk taken on the goal area boundary line.

Of course QPR did NOT score from the fk! :rolleyes:

Thanks for that. Why would IFAB confuse bears of little brain such as myself by using the term goal area to mean inside the 6 yard box? Madness! Nonetheless, I have learned something from this. It made virtually no difference in this case as the keeper was only just inside his box anyway, but laws are laws.
Goal area and penalty area confused me when I first started, I've always thought they could have worded it better, like inner penalty area and outer penalty area. But they didn't, so the best think to do as a referee is forget about terms like 6 yard box and make sure you know the correct terms.

The respective areas have been called the goal area and the penalty area ever since they first became fully-marked rectangles, which was over 120 years ago, in 1902. They've never been referred to by any other names since.

Screenshot_2023_0204_202650.png

Last edited:
Back