A&H

How would you book a match once qualified?

Elijahtens10s

Grassroots Referee
I'm a new referee and I have completed the online learning course. I am aware of the fact that you need to go to the face-to-face training, but I was wondering if after it is completed, do you then gain access to a page where you can book the matches, either online or through an app? Also, how is the experience of booking a match to ref, can you easily filter matches in your local area/ at a specific venue? My brothers play football and I was wondering if I could easily find matches at the same time and venue, or even find their specific matches (not sure if I can referee these either though). Thanks for your time.

The Referee Store
You will have to sign up to a local league and they will then assign fixtures to you - you don’t get to pick. Your County FA will be able to help you find a league to sign up to, or alternatively do some research on grassroots leagues in your local area and just contact them.

I'm a new referee and I have completed the online learning course. I am aware of the fact that you need to go to the face-to-face training, but I was wondering if after it is completed, do you then gain access to a page where you can book the matches, either online or through an app? Also, how is the experience of booking a match to ref, can you easily filter matches in your local area/ at a specific venue? My brothers play football and I was wondering if I could easily find matches at the same time and venue, or even find their specific matches (not sure if I can referee these either though). Thanks for your time.
During your course the folks running it ("Refefee Developers") will advise you about contact with the Appointments Secretaries. The system varies by county, some appoint referees centrally, some have separate appointments secretaries for each league.
Enjoy the course.

they will then assign fixtures to you - you don’t get to pick
Actually some leagues do let you pick. Mine does. I would not advise reffing your brothers matches @Elijahtens10s because of the high risk of controversy if you do/don't penalise certain things. Will put you in a very difficult position (speaking from experience!).

Actually some leagues do let you pick. Mine does. I would not advise reffing your brothers matches @Elijahtens10s because of the high risk of controversy if you do/don't penalise certain things. Will put you in a very difficult position (speaking from experience!).
Yes that is fair I would probably just pick a match at the same venue, thanks for informing me

Genuinely? That seems to me like it would be an administrative nightmare?

Genuinely? That seems to me like it would be an administrative nightmare?
No. We have 3 ref secretaries (1 mini soccer, 1 U11-18, 1 girls (I believe girls only goes up to U14 or U15)) as it is a youth league that I am on about. You just msg them and they sort it. It is probably easier for them tbh, as we have relatively high ref numbers (350 odd refs).

Last edited:
Back