A&H

How has your promotion season gone?

GraemeS

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
So, as we're coming to the end of the current promotion season, I thought it would be nice to have a central thread discussing how people feel their promotion has gone and how good their experiences have been when being observed.

I've struggled a little as I had to take over 2 months out with an ankle injury. By my calculations, I've just got the 20 matches in (and something in the ballpark of 10 lines), but unless my match on Saturday gets observed, I'm only going to have 2 observations to my name.

Of my two observations, the second is one of the easiest games I've ever had. Away team only had 10 men and was lower in the league too - clearly playing for the draw from about the 5th minute. Although they managed to keep it level until about 60 minutes, the first goal from the home team killed the match even more than it already had been. And unfortunately, there was literally nothing there that the observer could justify a high mark with, despite the only development point being two very minor details.

First match was a little tougher - I felt as though I did well to wave down an offside flag directed at a non-interfering player, leading to a goal, and also to play a good advantage that led to another goal. But despite what I felt was a good game from me, the observer felt I had been too reluctant to use my cards and a little rigid with my positioning, leading to only standard expected overall. I definitely think this feedback helped though, as I've consciously started mixing up my positioning a little more and significantly shortened my leash on dissent in particular. And this definitely helped in my second observation, as I twice stamped down on high tempers very quickly and stopped things escalating further.

So overall, fairly optimistic that I should squeak through to L5. I've had better games than the observed ones, but also, particularly when struggling with an injury or getting back into the swing after injury, I've had worse matches as well.

So, how about you guys?

The Referee Store
Mines been good.
I've gone from 7-6 and I'm now on 6-4 for next season. Been reffing for a fair few years on and off but only started taking it seriously as of last season, hanging up the playing boots (I still play part time).

I'm the league registration secretary for my league down here, I get to see all the marks awarded by the clubs to everyone. My average is 86; many of my scores are in the 90-100 bracket but I have had 3 x 65's.

In one game - I sent a player off for telling me to "shut the f**k up". He then decided to call me a *c***" a number of times. So, there's the misconduct. I then sent his manager off. That, and his outburst on social media for which he was duly thanked with a further 4 game ban meant ten games away for him. They couldn't be bothered to write a report, so 65 from them, 95 from the home side.

Second game, I sent the manager off for a two-footed challenge the season before, he remembered. I got a 95 from the home team (who lost 4-3) and a 65 from him, that's probably because of the public bollocking and caution I gave him in that game. Above standard observation report.

Third game which is the weird one. I had, what I believe to be a near-faultless game. Again being observed as above standard with my development point being to shout louder when playing advantage. Home team won 3-2 in this top of table clash where the away team had two players cautioned. One for FT and the other when he threw a strop on the field and walked off (lfopwp). Away team marked 65.

Those three 65's were disappointing. I expected two of them due to what had happened (and the fact the managers have no clue about the laws) but the last one confused me quite a lot considering I had a very good game. That's why I hate club marks.

I'm doing 6-4 this season with a mid-season jump to 5. The only downside is that I will be very busy at the start of next season and at the end. I'm deploying to the Gulf in under two weeks where I will spend three months away, then again over Christmas. I certainly have my work cut out for me. Thankfully, with plenty of games being played across the military and the lack of interest to ref Sunday league games down here, refereeing won't be an issue. My concern will be whether I can get the lines in. I've got to give it a go though.

Last edited:
Overall mostly good.
Average 75 by my calculations. 1 x 73. 3 x 75 1 x 77.
All assessments in by end of September.
All middles/lines done.
Fitness test passed running 3km.
Seminar attended. And this is where I let myself down. Embarrassingly failed lotg exam. Dont know what happened, had a complete mental block. In hindsight I also have to admit I failed to prepare properly. I passed on resit. Dont know if I prepared better or the resit exam was easier. I just have an awful feeling that might cost me and after missing out on L4 last year I'll take this one alot harder.
Any1 know when we are likely to hear for level 4 - April/May? It was May last year but that was an extended marking season due to weather.

What was the resit like in, relative, terms of difficultly compared to the first? Was astonished at the failure rates all over the country for the first test, could only fail if you'd not bothered looking properly at the law changes.
Why haven't you had five assessments as per the criteria?

What was the resit like in, relative, terms of difficultly compared to the first? Was astonished at the failure rates all over the country for the first test, could only fail if you'd not bothered looking properly at the law changes.
I'd agree with you but I know I knew the changes. I sat a test at a seminar type event and got 100% right at the start of the season. Literally just mental block that and failing to prepare. Example, I kid u not. The whistle in the crowd question.... i answered correctly and in a moment of madness decided to change to giving a penalty. How stupid of me.
I believe the failure rates were high which might save me but I'm still left with a bad gut feeling.
Its hard to judge comparatively as there were a number of factors, proper revision etc. But I felt personally more comfortable that when I handed the paper back I had passed.

No idea about my average marks.

Got my 3 assessments in before the end of 2016, but unfortunately an injury at the start of the season, and illness this year combined with the weather where I had a run of 6 games postponed on the trot and I'm 4 games short of the 20 required.

I discussed it with my RDO and he said he'd speak to the referee committee, but he obviously can't promise anything.

I applied for promotion pretty much as the RDO sent out the email, so I'm just waiting to find out whether I'm going 7-6 again or 6-5.

Overall I'm happy with how my promotion season has gone, obviously getting the correct number of games in would have been nice, but these things happen.

If I do have to try for 7-6 again then it's more experience in the bank.

Wow, that's fast. I think last year it took almost until the end of March for my 7-6 to be confirmed, although that could have been because I was a borderline candidate in terms of number of games.

Anyway, congratulations!

Well got the email from my RDO this evening, and I'm a newly minted level 6, so it looks like I'm now going for my 6-5, which will be interesting.

Has anyone else had the results of their promotion confirmed yet?

Good luck to those of you still waiting.
Congratulations especially given the concerns you had. Really pleased you got the promotion.

@GraemeS I think due to the weather the marking season was extended. This year it hasnt been so expect people will start finding out.

Level 4s are different as there is a selection process from county nominations so expect to be waiting a while longer.

Having said that had an email today from RDO advising dates extended to apply for promotioto 1st May. A sign maybe?

Last edited:
Well got the email from my RDO this evening, and I'm a newly minted level 6, so it looks like I'm now going for my 6-5, which will be interesting.

Has anyone else had the results of their promotion confirmed yet?

Good luck to those of you still waiting.

Congratulations. Not sure how it has been done that soon though. Don't your CFA need to validate you have refereed 20 games, get your club marks, etc? I think for this reason most counties will be mid to late March before informing candidates.

Beats me, but the training evenings for 7-6 and 5-4 Candidates are next week, with the 6-5 ones the week after.

Mines been good.
I've gone from 7-6 and I'm now on 6-4 for next season. Been reffing for a fair few years on and off but only started taking it seriously as of last season, hanging up the playing boots (I still play part time).

I'm the league registration secretary for my league down here, I get to see all the marks awarded by the clubs to everyone. My average is 83; many of my scores are in the 90-100 bracket but I have had 3 x 65's.

It is seen as bad form, commenting on your marks when you get them as part of your league roll. Other referees don't see their individual marks, so you are could be seen as boasting !!

Well done on the L6, good luck for the 6-4 - sounds like you could have a few availability issues. Remember, there is the mandatory fitness test and law exam for 5-4. I also think there are required meetings for prospective L4 to attend at various locations around the country.

Had the same issues with the exam, again passed on resit. My RDO seemed relaxed about it though, I think the very high failure rate at seminar sittings might actually help. It would be easier to discard one or two, but 50%+ would be a bit more difficult especially given the L4 shortage.

I didn't appreciate just how technical it all gets- revised using areferee.com for fortnight before but still wasn't enough. Resit was infinitely easier.

Average marks just under 74 over the 5 observations so like you just waiting for email.....

Had the same issues with the exam, again passed on resit. My RDO seemed relaxed about it though, I think the very high failure rate at seminar sittings might actually help. It would be easier to discard one or two, but 50%+ would be a bit more difficult especially given the L4 shortage.

I didn't appreciate just how technical it all gets- revised using areferee.com for fortnight before but still wasn't enough. Resit was infinitely easier.

Average marks just under 74 over the 5 observations so like you just waiting for email.....
At the time I did the Seminar at Lancs FA areferee was still out of date.

Good luck to you.

It is seen as bad form, commenting on your marks when you get them as part of your league roll. Other referees don't see their individual marks, so you are could be seen as boasting !!

Well done on the L6, good luck for the 6-4 - sounds like you could have a few availability issues. Remember, there is the mandatory fitness test and law exam for 5-4. I also think there are required meetings for prospective L4 to attend at various locations around the country.
I certainly don't disclose my marks or anyone else's marks on forums/media where I think people will see them. I only know of one referee from Cornwall that uses this forum so I'm pretty safe to talk about it with you guys. I certainly wouldn't put that information in the public domain down here; I t's not my responsibility to give the referees their marks :)

I spoke to my RDO yesterday, voicing some concerns about my 6-4 quest... I have no idea how it's going to affect my chances but he wags me to remain on the double jump as it's easier for me to get the games (aswell as the civilian games, there are also many military Ines that are played each week so I could travel). We'll have to see how it goes

Odd season for me, but chock full of learning experiences. Did the fitness test with relative ease second time around (wasn't well enough for my first crack - a bit naive to think I could muddle through it). Observations were all very good, bar one mystifyingly low mark and in top half for club marks.

It's been getting the games in that has been my struggle. My wife gave birth last April and I was injured in Aug/start of Sep, meaning I missed the two busiest periods of the marking season! It has meant really going for it since the end of Nov, taking every opportunity I can and just managed to scrape over the line.

Now it's playing the old waiting game...

For level 4 promo they appear to, or at least my county, have changed the criteria of 20 games to 20 games with at least 15 on a Saturday adult league meaning if u miss a few you could really struggle to make up the games.

Congratulations. Not sure how it has been done that soon though. Don't your CFA need to validate you have refereed 20 games, get your club marks, etc? I think for this reason most counties will be mid to late March before informing candidates.
In my County all Leagues submit their marks monthly and candidates must submit their games monthly. It's possible that for many the last month is the cherry on the cake.

Why isnt there a standard fitness test for refs entering al level 9?
Have you seen some of the candidates? We take them through a typical pre-match warm-up on our courses. Considering I'm 35 years older, with a heart condition and probably 3st overweight I can still complete in better condition than many on the course.

Hmmm you were surprised how technical it was? The scenarios aren't that unusual, so how do you manage in your games? It explains why the L4s I see still make basic errors in AOL.

For level 4 promo they appear to, or at least my county, have changed the criteria of 20 games to 20 games with at least 15 on a Saturday adult league meaning if u miss a few you could really struggle to make up the games.
It probably hasn't changed. I believe it will be 15 games in a league at a credible standard that will provide a reasonable test for the promotion candidate. Maybe it's just a recognition that your local Sunday and Vets Leagues don't provide that challenge.

Back