A&H

TomTaylor

Hi, on the weekend I’m doing my first course, i have only done 2 games and they didn’t go that well as I made a few bad decisions that I couldn’t really do anything about as I couldn’t see what was going on. Can someone give me some tips so I know what it’s going to be like, my one is in Leyland for 2 days, thanks also I am 14 so I don’t really know what to expect * again it would be better to inbox or conversation about this as I’m not sure how to use this

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Hi Tom, welcome to the family. First off, you have taken a step in the right direction by acknowledging that you need to improve and sharpen some skills. Stick with that all along what will hopefully be a long, prosperous and enjoyable career in refereeing. posting questions here in the forum is perfectly fine.

I think in order for us to provide you with specific development points, you need to provide us with some context. What happened? Who was involved, try to describe the incidents, what you saw, what decisions you took and if you can any thinking processes or factors that led you to make that decision. This will help us to provide with a more tailored advice.
Generally speaking, don't worry about it we all make mistakes and learn from at every stage of our refereeing career. That's the sure way to get better and better. So chin up, you have 2 games under you belt already. The more games you do, the better you will be at this, with you movement, anticipation, foul recognition and alertness.

Hi Tom, welcome to the family. First off, you have taken a step in the right direction by acknowledging that you need to improve and sharpen some skills. Stick with that all along what will hopefully be a long, prosperous and enjoyable career in refereeing. posting questions here in the forum is perfectly fine.

I think in order for us to provide you with specific development points, you need to provide us with some context. What happened? Who was involved, try to describe the incidents, what you saw, what decisions you took and if you can any thinking processes or factors that led you to make that decision. This will help us to provide with a more tailored advice.
Generally speaking, don't worry about it we all make mistakes and learn from at every stage of our refereeing career. That's the sure way to get better and better. So chin up, you have 2 games under you belt already. The more games you do, the better you will be at this, with you movement, anticipation, foul recognition and alertness.
I was reffing my younger brothers school football game, I had no idea I was doing it until last minute, this was a long time ago but I knew a lot about refereeing as I do linesman for my brothers local team,start of my first refereeing games. I counted and the home team had 1 extra player on so I went over to their manager to say and he said there wasn’t but there was, then he realised so now I’m on his bad side. Then about 10 mins in it was a really bad foul on the away team but most players on the home team didn’t agree.it was a clear foul though, both players involved shook hands also I couldn’t see it 100% so there is a little possibility there should of been a sub made after the home player was very angry at my decision. That was all that was wrong until the 2nd half, about 5 mins in again I gave a throw that all the parents didn’t agree with so I got a bit of stick, I was a little nervous for my second but it went well, thank you for your reply, also could I have some advice for my first course tommorow

Hi Tom,
I've recently completed the course and had a great time, Hopefully you will too. Unlike you, i've been 'casually' refereeing my sons games for a season and I too came in for a bit of stick during one of the games, I know its hard, but ignore the comments that get said about you, unless they are abusive, (on the course, you'll learn the correct way to deal with this by approaching the team managers, and also, you can report it). Just remember that you have volunteered to referee the game, and you will probably know more than the spectators that are stood there watching. Enjoy the course and don't let a couple of bad games put you off, as Nalbi said "we all make mistakes".

I look forward in seeing your comments after your first game, when all has gone well. Good Luck

First tip is keeping asking questions here;)
Second tip, well, I am 5 seasons into this and every game there will be a ball in-out decision that someone disagrees with. Unfortunately IMHO parents of 12-16 year olds tend to be some of the most vocal and serious fans of amateur football. People will complain. What can we do? Well, expect it, don't let it change your mood, stay positive, sometimes I say "I am trying my best to see everything" or "next year we'll have assistants and then we can be sure"... As said above, if there are abusive/threatening comments from fans then you need to go to the home coach... otherwise shrug it off and stay focused on your game.

Good luck!

PS I did the line in an elite under 20 game yesterday. The ref and other AR were both officials in our ref organisation. The ref was brilliant. the away team's #1 fan told us after the game that the ref was the worst he's ever seen, not fit to ref 7 year olds etc... of course they had just lost 9-1 and the ref was brilliant. Fans will be fans. It won't change!

Welcome to the Brethren TT......seek and listen to the advice offered and we all hope you enjoy it.....

My advice would be to use the Mentor you are assigned, their advice and guidance will be invaluable.

Secondly get yourself on to your county academy. You will get the chance officiate as part of a team and generally the standard of teams is much much better and the grief a whole lot less.

Also get along to your local RA and ask questions . Every ref will have gone through the same experiences as you. It might help put your worries in context.

Good luck and enjoy

Back