A&H

Goalkeeper challenge

MumRef

Hello all, advice please:
"A goalkeeper cannot be challenged by an opponent when in control of the ball with the hand(s)."
What is the sanction for a player who does challenge? An IDFK seems a bit weak.
Just going over the laws before tomorrow's games.

The Referee Store
Ultimately it doesn't really matter, this incident has to happen inside the penalty area of the goalkeepers team, and as such they are highly unlikely to score directly from the resulting free kick (direct or indirect)

The section of law you have quoted is under Indirect Free Kick so that gives you the answer and this applies to the situations quoted above it (IE when the goalkeeper is deemed to be in control of the ball)

If a player commits an offence that involves contact with the goalkeeper (or any other player) in a manner that is careless, reckless or with excessive force then the restart is a direct free kick and correct disciplinary action follows.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter, this incident has to happen inside the penalty area of the goalkeepers team, and as such they are highly unlikely to score directly from the resulting free kick (direct or indirect)
Agree. But we should always be seeking to get the correct restart.

The section of law you have quoted is under Indirect Free Kick so that gives you the answer and this applies to the situations quoted above it (IE when the goalkeeper is deemed to be in control of the ball)
It feels like they lobbed that bit in there as a clarification a keeper can't be challenged rather than intending it to be as an indication of the restart. Else i'd have expected it to just be in the prior list of idfk offences.

Bearing in mind most challenges on a keeper are likely to involve contact, I'd be inclined to lean towards DFK, as 12.1 says that offences involving contact should be penalised with DFK.

If a player commits an offence that involves contact with the goalkeeper (or any other player) in a manner that is careless, reckless or with excessive force then the restart is a direct free kick and correct disciplinary action follows.

And just to add, very easy to say challenging a keeper when in control is easily a careless foul. Unless the offence is preventing release or attempting to kick whilst releasing as the law clearly states this is idfk and again would caveat providing no contact between players.

Agree. But we should always be seeking to get the correct restart.

It feels like they lobbed that bit in there as a clarification a keeper can't be challenged rather than intending it to be as an indication of the restart. Else i'd have expected it to just be in the prior list of idfk offences.

Bearing in mind most challenges on a keeper are likely to involve contact, I'd be inclined to lean towards DFK, as 12.1 says that offences involving contact should be penalised with DFK.

And just to add, very easy to say challenging a keeper when in control is easily a careless foul. Unless the offence is preventing release or attempting to kick whilst releasing as the law clearly states this is idfk and again would caveat providing no contact between players.
Thank you. Doesn't seem much of a deterrent to the attacker. Could it be seen as an unsporting YC?

Thank you. Doesn't seem much of a deterrent to the attacker. Could it be seen as an unsporting YC?
Any offence against a member of the defending team near their own goal line is not going to lead to a goal for them immediately so don't over-think it, just award the appropriate type of free kick, speak to the offender if needed and then get out of there!

Only if it is unsporting in nature. :)

In practical application, this foul typically comes into play when an opponent arrives late after the GK gets the ball. One example is when a GK pins the ball to the ground (which equals possession) just before the attacker kicks the ball. These are fouls, but there is often nothing unsporting about them. When it becomes unsporting is when it is a reckless challenge to the GK--just as a reckless challenge on any player is unsporting and a caution. This can apply when a player comes in too hot and too late to collide with a keeper while having no chance to get the ball.

If the keeper still has the ball in his hands, I will often say something along the lines of:

”I’ve seen it, definite foul and would be a free kick but I’m happy for you to play on as its better to play from hands than have a free kick”

Most keepers would rather play from hands - and can move in the box to wherever they want - and are usually appreciative of this approach.
(However, if it’s getting heated and a bit angsty, I‘ll blow for a free kick to calm everything down)

There are two main scenarios where this clause comes into effect. Both have already been alluded to on this thread but in separate posts, so let's just look at them together.

1. Challenges where there is contact with the keeper. Typically this is when the keeper is catching a high ball and an opponent, in challenging for it, makes bodily contact. As @JamesL has pointed out, any foul challenge that involves physical contact is a direct free kick. Additional sanctions to apply if applicable (reckless or excessive use of force).

2. Challenges where there is no contact with the keeper. Typically, this is as @socal lurker has described - keeper has the ball pinned to the ground and a player comes in and kicks (or attempts to kick) the ball but without actually touching the keeper. Unless this challenge is in and of itself reckless or excessively forceful, that would be an indirect free kick.

Back