A&H

Goal line technology

Use of video review, however, would really change the game, in my opinion. While it is important to get calls right, I'm not sure that giving the coach the ability to stop the match (by throwing a "review" flag, or some other method) is in the current spirit of the game. It would certainly add new tactics, and I'm not sure if it will make the game more enjoyable for the spectators or the players.

It would only ever happen twice in each half,no more.

For example, will reviewing an offside decision do anything helpful for the game? Let's say a very close call is given, and the offside infraction is signalled. Would this even be worth stopping the match for? What would be the restart if video review proves that the attacker was NOT offside? IDFK for the *attacking* team at the point where the player was when he was flagged for offside? This, after a review of the play has stopped the match cold? I'd say this will make the game way too much like American football, where the play stops all the time (and commercials are shown). Booooring!

Lol, wouldn;t be 'all the time' just once pr twice per half. In that example, ball is played through, attacker is flagged offside ref blows for infraction. Attacking manager throws the flag, fourht official or AR tells the ref :"Flagged, red team". Ref signals for video ref to review, using the replays that the TV company are already showing on their broadcast, but only has 60secs to reach a decision. If confirmed offside, ref should already have ball in place and players ready for the IDFK. If conformed ONSIDE (AR got it wrong) attacking team get the FK.

Yes, it has broken down a promising attack, which would have been stopped anyway for an incorrect offside, the game is held up for no more than a minute, and the attacking manager cannot use his flag again for the rest of the half.

Would it be helpful to the game? Well, yes, it would mean that the decision was made correctly.

What about an offside that is NOT called, and goal is scored? Say, Tevez' offside goal against Mexico in the last world cup, for example? This might actually work. The match is already stopped while the players return to their sides for the kickoff. If it can definitively be proven that the actively involved player was offside prior to the goal, then the match official can quickly say that the play was overturned on review, so the restart is an IDFK at the proper location. If we limit this to one review per half, as Matty suggests, that might work, and not interfere with the flow of the game.

Yup, as long as the manager of the conceding team flags the goal. However, if he has already used his flag in that half, then the goal would stand.

I think video review would ONLY work where play will naturally stop regardless, and the restart cannot be taken quickly (does this mean only plays immediately preceding a goal can be reviewed? Maybe...)

Not necessarily, it can be used at any restart when the ball is out of play. Corners, FKs, goals, throw ins etc, and yes, it would be used tactically by the managers, however, they know that once used - it's used. Would they really risk wasting it just to slow a FK or corner down? Besides, the 60secs the reviewer has will be added on at the end anyway. Managers do it all the time with substitutions, or players stay on the ground a bit longer than necessary, or they dawdle over FKs to run the clock down.

Or, watching the QPR/Man U game, when Evra got a boot in the face but the ref allowed play to continue, Fergie could have decided that he would use his flag to stop play, concede an IFK just to get some treatment on.

Wouldn't it significantly change the game if a video challenge can be given just before any restart that CAN be taken quickly (corner kicks, goal kicks, throw-ins, DFK/IDFK)? It could be a manager's tactic to challenge a play just before a quick free kick is taken, for example.

If the quick free kick is the offence that is being challenged, he could flag it for review. But there would probably be a player standing in front of the ball anyway AND the manager will also be aware that by challenging it, there will be a minute of time added on - so defeating the 'time-wasting' purpose of flagging it. Would he take the risk?

The Referee Store
I almost agree with you, other than one slight thing RE flag. If correct, should keep his flag and be able to use again (same as a cricket review). Why should he only be allowed one flag if he's right and the officials aren't?

I almost agree with you, other than one slight thing RE flag. If correct, should keep his flag and be able to use again (same as a cricket review). Why should he only be allowed one flag if he's right and the officials aren't?
Good point and one I hadn't considered.
They can keep 'flagging' until they are overruled and then they lose the flag for the remainder of the half could work well.

I was limiting use purely to prevent too many delays in a game, and to 'encourage' coaches to use it sensibly.

I'm with Dickie Bird on reviewing decisions - if people in the game can't accept a referee's (or umpire's) decision on the field of play, then those people shouldn't be involved in the game. It all boils down to respect - referees are employed to make those decisions, good or bad, and the sport should show respect for that.

And the game would not be the same with video replays interrupting it. If goalline technology is "instant" and can help the AR give the decision, then let's use it, but football cannot go down the same road as rugby/tennis/cricket/american football as those games have natural breaks in play, football doesn't.

And where does the goalline technology filter down to? FIFA have got a big problem brewing, because it will differentiate between the "haves" and "have nots". I can't wait for when officials from poorer leagues come and ref Premier League teams with all the gadgets, how will they cope? And vice versa; can you see Spanish refs going to Slovenia and having no goalline beeping watches? LOL And non-league teams in the FA Cup against Premier League opposition! It's a can of worms, FIFA, good luck!

I'm with Dickie Bird on reviewing decisions - if people in the game can't accept a referee's (or umpire's) decision on the field of play, then those people shouldn't be involved in the game. It all boils down to respect - referees are employed to make those decisions, good or bad, and the sport should show respect for that.

And the game would not be the same with video replays interrupting it. If goalline technology is "instant" and can help the AR give the decision, then let's use it, but football cannot go down the same road as rugby/tennis/cricket/american football as those games have natural breaks in play, football doesn't.

And where does the goalline technology filter down to? FIFA have got a big problem brewing, because it will differentiate between the "haves" and "have nots". I can't wait for when officials from poorer leagues come and ref Premier League teams with all the gadgets, how will they cope? And vice versa; can you see Spanish refs going to Slovenia and having no goalline beeping watches? LOL And non-league teams in the FA Cup against Premier League opposition! It's a can of worms, FIFA, good luck!

While I agree in some respects, I disagree on the "filter down" concern. Right now, we have FIFA refs with beep flags and radio communication that I have NEVER seen in youth matches of any level. Yet, they manage to run entire youth leagues with no trouble. Referee training still works, since we do not ABANDON common sense when technology is available. While radio communication makes matches more enjoyable, since there are less stoppages for assistants to talk things over with the referee to get a decision right, it is not necessary for the match to be played at any level. I believe the same will be true with goal line technology. I think it will ALSO be true with any video review that comes along. I say this because here in the US, we have huge basketball leagues, American football leagues, baseball leagues, and they all do just fine without instant replay, although the professional divisions use it in every game. There is no corruption of those games just because the pros use high technology and instant replay. They do just fine without it in high school, collegiate, semi-pro, and lower division professional leagues in each of those sports. So no, I don't think it's of particular concern that some will "have" technology, and others will not.

As for video review, I disagree that football doesn't have natural breaks in play. There is a natural break after every goal, for example. It takes time for each team to return to their sides for the kickoff. I feel if video review can be successfully implemented in that specific instance, it may well improve the enjoyment of the game for players and spectators. Other stoppages (such as offside review or Law 12 violations) I'm not sure. I doubt it will work well, without significantly changing the spirit of the game.

Just my two cents, of course.

Back