A&H

Glasses - All other refs let him wear them...

Justylove

RefChat Addict
Pre-match noticed one of the players wearing glasses, with a sports band.

Not polycarbonate, just bog standard normal glasses. Told him he wasn't playing in them cue manager coming over saying every other ref has let him play in the in the last 2 seasons and he's had confirmation from the league that this is fine and its at his own risk.

Stood my ground and told them they either come off, or he doesn't play. Glasses come off, with loads of jokes about how much better he's playing when he can't see properly!

The Referee Store
LOTG guidelines for referees stance:

"In view of the new technology that has made sports spectacles much safer, both for the wearer and for other players, referees should show tolerance when authorising their use, particularly for younger players."

Quite what constitutes "sports spectacles" I'm not sure about. I'm with haywain too, I'd assume the player has been asked to remove the glasses sometime in the past 2 seasons which would cue outrage from coaches and then the team would think to carry this "confirmation" to their games.

so what do I do? cant see without them and cant get contacts in my prescription.

I suppose that technically, by the letter of the law, as we are no longer classified as volunteers, (and thus are employees of the FA for the duration we are in control of the match) then the employer is required under HASAW '74 to provide all safet equipment as required for me to carry out my job.

My current employer has provided suitable Safety Glasses which I have to wear when on construction site, I wear my own ones when in the offices, so when on the FA's "site" I should have a pair of suitable ones provided for me - no?

I'm not saying the player has immunity, but F me, if i tried to say that! I might as well be wearing rainbow laces for the Westboro Baptist summer tournament!

Despite what someone said on another thread about ref's n glasses, there is nothing in the lotg that prevents referees wearing ordinary glasses - which is a bit daft to be fair

so what do I do? cant see without them and cant get contacts in my prescription.

I suppose that technically, by the letter of the law, as we are no longer classified as volunteers, (and thus are employees of the FA for the duration we are in control of the match) then the employer is required under HASAW '74 to provide all safet equipment as required for me to carry out my job.

My current employer has provided suitable Safety Glasses which I have to wear when on construction site, I wear my own ones when in the offices, so when on the FA's "site" I should have a pair of suitable ones provided for me - no?

I'm not saying the player has immunity, but F me, if i tried to say that! I might as well be wearing rainbow laces for the Westboro Baptist summer tournament!
HRW you are not an employee. Under the tests applied by HMGov, your status is self employed. That is why you get your match fees paid gross and have to account for your own tax liability on them. So your chances of forcing a case where The FA is obliged to fork out for your safety glasses are few and far between.

It does go through my company as sports support and accounts filed as such. The invoices sent to the fa are paid in line with their 6 week payment terms.

So back to my point - what's the stance. Would you let me.play with glasses? Or if I was running your line or 4th official? Would you tell me or force me to remove Brian?

Would I let you play in spectacles? No

Would I let you operate as my assistant or 4th officials wearing spectacles? Yes of course. Why would I remove something intended to enhance your ability to carry out your duties as a match official. Before you raise the question of safety, the reason for the differentiation between players and match officials is that match officials are not expected to be involved in challenging for the ball. Therefore the opportunities to endanger themselves or others are significantly reduced in comparison to a player who is expected to challenge for the ball regularly.

What would you assessing comment see for me reffing in glasses then please?

Should I state the above as to why I'm insisting a player to remove but I keep on? Not being pedantic but asking an assessor tutor for their advice.

What would you assessing comment see for me reffing in glasses then please?

Should I state the above as to why I'm insisting a player to remove but I keep on? Not being pedantic but asking an assessor tutor for their advice.
Absolutely no comment at all. I recently assessed a Supply League Referee and both he and one of his assistants wore spectacles for the whole of the 90 minutes. It was a complete nothing moment.

if a player complained about having to take his off while the referee wore his, then the comment about not challenging would be the way I would handle it.

One of the most respected former referees in my area wore spectacles and two hearing aids throughout his career. All three items were a total non-event as far as teams were concerned.

A few weeks back, I was AR on a high level youth line. Ball close to my touchline and following a challenge the ball unexpected shot up catching me in the eye. This was a fearsome blow and left my eye socket/bone tender for a few days afterwards. I don't wear glasses (I wear soft contacts) if I was wearing them this could have been a lot worse and would have been a risk.

Get sports glasses would be my advice

lol it was one of those weird deflections that you can't (or at least I didnt) predict. Now if I had your sort of pace haywain, I would have been safely too far behind play to have been hit!! :p

Earned me a few ooooo's from players and crowd. Wondering why the ref didn't stop the game to ask if I was okay, I asked if he had seen it. He said "yes it was very funny!" :D

I wear glasses to officiate - no choice, as I'm also diabetic and can't wear contacts. This has never come up, even when I've asked players to remove theirs in the past as I've simply said exactly what Brian suggests above (there's something wrong if I'm challenging for the ball!). No assessor has ever even mentioned them - and neither should they.

I reckon I get comments from players/managers about once every 6 games. I just tell them that if they think my reffing is bad when I wear them they should see me without...or some other smartass reply!

Get sports goggles.

I had this about 3 weeks ago, it was the Goal Keeper, I informed him that i could not let him play because of his glasses, he then said to me that i was the first Referee to stop him playing this season, of-course i felt bad about my decision, but thinking about it 'we' have to enforce the law, ask yourself this Question... Who is responsible? Well Done for following the laws of the game ;) Justylove

i wear glasses every time i referee, contacts when i play...i juust put up with the generic specsavers comments if they feel ive called a decision wrong!

I must say i'm hugely surprised at the amount of us that seem to wear glasses when we referee! As I glasses wearer myself (lucky enough to be able to wear soft contacts) I personally wouldn't dream of wearing them to ref, in fact contact lenses are the first thing I make sure are in my bag the night before. I've never seen anyone referee or AR in glasses, it's quite pleasing to read so many of you speak about it as if it isn't a big deal at all. :)

Back