A&H

Gab Marcotti article on referee shortage

RefIADad

RefChat Addict

Given that Marcotti was one of the leading voices that basically condoned Gigi Buffon’s abusive behavior toward Michael Oliver in that infamous Real-Juve UCL match several years ago, this article really surprised me. Maybe the backlash he received from his stance changed his attitude, but he “went there” and said much of the behavior we see in the professional game is having a very negative effect on the game lower on the football pyramid.

The Referee Store
I think he calls out some important distinctions between the elite context and grass roots football - but I completely agree that the only reason we see a lot of the issues with referee abuse at grass roots level is because it's perceived to have been 'normalised' on the TV.

When grass roots referees take action against poor player and participant behaviour - it often comes as a shock because clubs are so used to getting away with it due to the culture in the game. It needs a collective stance from the whole football community to stamp out unacceptable behaviour - not just a flash in the pan initiative from the FA to crack down on 'dissent'.

I think he calls out some important distinctions between the elite context and grass roots football - but I completely agree that the only reason we see a lot of the issues with referee abuse at grass roots level is because it's perceived to have been 'normalised' on the TV.

When grass roots referees take action against poor player and participant behaviour - it often comes as a shock because clubs are so used to getting away with it due to the culture in the game. It needs a collective stance from the whole football community to stamp out unacceptable behaviour - not just a flash in the pan initiative from the FA to crack down on 'dissent'.
There are some distinctions, but generally I think Marcotti is advocating for stricter punishment for the big items like surrounding the referee and the really egregious behavior like when Klopp went after Taylor’s AR in the Man City-Liverpool game last season.

Marcotti says-and I agree with him-that you’ll never have it where there’s never anything directed toward officials. It’s an intense, emotional game. I know that when I played sports when I was younger, I had a moment or two where I would say something to a referee or baseball umpire. But I never would yell, personally attack, or publicly bash an official.

I don’t ever expect players, coaches, or fans to be totally silent. But it must be minimized and moved on. That’s what I believe Marcotti is saying in his article.

Back